SeL

Drill rig, cargo truck - help, advices, first MOC

Hi, this is my first project, a Drill rig B80, mounted on a 6 x 6 Cargo Truck (G-744)

C360_2011-10-0207-43-56_zpsb31e1a1e.jpg

Lego version:

2013-10-12125236_zps17527a55.jpg

DSCN0604_zps54e16de7-1.jpg

DSCN0594_zpsbac99502-1.jpg

has the foolowing features:

1 M motor for steering

1 L motor for driving and rig up/rig down mast

4 pneumatic cylinder like stabilizers

I am really happy with my result, but I need some help with 2 issues, first I would like to move the rotary head over the mast, like the real

one (cylinder and chain system) but do not know how to solve the space problem

DSCN0591_zps8fadd6e4-1.jpg

the figure with the rim has to go up and down over the mast

and two I have problem to keep straight the cylinders, I have 2 new model so they spin around, and do not know how hold it this hose are third party the bend ratios is high and dont let me fit the plate :S

2013-10-26072142_zps1544ce9f.jpg

I'll appreciate your advises and help

I would think you would need to make a bracket to clamp the yellow part of the cylinders to the chassis. This would stop them deflecting when you put down the jacks. For the drilling head, you could make a bracket to strap around the mast, which would allow it to slide up and down - 1/2 liftarms would be thick enough and more discreet.

On the whole, a very good MOC. Better than my first attempts.

Nice truck,yes your best bet in order to solve your problems would be to buy some on the pneumatic brackets.

With the older pnuematics you could fix those to your chassis no problem as the base could fit to a studded plate. i've just been looking at drill rig vehicles in google images and I will suggest you convert to outriggers. I'm sure you can come up with a design to fit your truck. There are many ideas out there. It's a great moc and true to the real truck. It would be a shame not to finalise it. I agree with others that TLG should consider something like this for s future set.

Let us see the completed moc.

H

With the older pnuematics you could fix those to your chassis no problem as the base could fit to a studded plate. i've just been looking at drill rig vehicles in google images and I will suggest you convert to outriggers. I'm sure you can come up with a design to fit your truck. There are many ideas out there. It's a great moc and true to the real truck. It would be a shame not to finalise it. I agree with others that TLG should consider something like this for s future set.

Let us see the completed moc.

H

Thanks, for your comments, well I dont wanna change the stabilizer to outriggers cause I would like to do it very similar to the real one, do you know if can exchange bodies between the cylinder and pumps?

Cheers

It looks like a mobile crane on first picture. Do you have any movie how it does work?

actually I don't have any at the moment, I am going to get one; but if you look in google or youtube for Mobile drilling you'll get some idea how it works, this in particulary is used to coring in a coal mine, where I work; I am going to get a video working.

I would think you would need to make a bracket to clamp the yellow part of the cylinders to the chassis. This would stop them deflecting when you put down the jacks. For the drilling head, you could make a bracket to strap around the mast, which would allow it to slide up and down - 1/2 liftarms would be thick enough and more discreet.

On the whole, a very good MOC. Better than my first attempts.

Would you suggest me an idea to make a bracket? I looked it in bricklink and those are really expensive!

What about using the old style square ram,with those you can add a brick with hole and a plate to the bottom.

Yes, for your application, the simplest solution would be to use an old style cylinder with two inlets and square bottom (not to be confused with the old, square bottomed SINGLE inlet cylinders), and attach then in a way similar to the ones you can see upside down in the front of the truck in these pictures:

DSC_0267+(450x800).jpg

DSC_0271+(800x450).jpg

This provides a sturdy and fairly compact solution, better than you would get with those ridiculously expensive brackets :thumbup:

Edited by D3K

Yes, for your application, the simplest solution would be to use an old style cylinder with two inlets and square bottom (not to be confused with the old, square bottomed SINGLE inlet cylinders), and attach then in a way similar to the ones you can see upside down in the front of the truck in these pictures:

DSC_0267+(450x800).jpg

DSC_0271+(800x450).jpg

This provides a sturdy and fairly compact solution, better than you would get with those ridiculously expensive brackets :thumbup:

yes, it is better! thanks