Jim

Generic Contest Discussion

Contest Setup  

312 members have voted

1. 2. Publish result list including...?

2. 3. Preferred building period?

3. 4. Preferred voting period?

4. 5. Favorite voting scheme? (multiple answers allowed)

• 20 points (distribute all, max 10 per entry)
    • 10 points (distribute all, max 5 per entry)
    • Old Formula One style (distribute 10, 6, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
    • New Formula One style (distribute 25, 18, 15, 12, 10, 8, 6 ,4, 2 and 1 points)
    • Eurovision Songfestival style (distribute 12, 10, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2 and 1 points)
  5. 6. Public or private voting?

6. 7. Should we allow digital entries?

Just another random idea for the pot (after the shrinking contest), how about a universal set contest?

Rules would be:

1) Build 4 different models from the same parts.

2) Each model must be entirely different (not 4 cars for example)

3) Priority is on the mechanical rather than outward appearance but it's better if it looks cool!

4) Must have a theme, for example every set has a motor/battery box or pneumatics or just purely gears/linkages

5) Remakes of old universal sets are allowed but voters might penalize you for lack of creativity.

6) Studless and studfull both allowed.

I think shrink a set and expand a set should indeed be two different contests.

The universal set contest sounds fun, though it would be hard to verify that they indeed use the same selection of parts. Of course leftover parts would have to be allowed, but other than that, do we just trust that the designs are as claimed, or would there have to be some kind of verification too? Like parts list + digital models of the builds or something.

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

The universal set contest sounds fun, though it would be hard to verify that they indeed use the same selection of parts. Of course leftover parts would have to be allowed, but other than that, do we just trust that the designs are as claimed, or would there have to be some kind of verification too? Like parts list + digital models of the builds or something.

Technically this doesn't matter if there is not part count limit. Of course, it get's more interesting if the number of left-over parts is as small as possible for each set. Then we need some sort of rule. Either way, this will be a complicated contest. Designing one model is hard, two is even harder and designing four might be too much for lots of builders. Interesting idea though.

I would trust the members to show an accurate pile of leftover pieces. The "rule" for leftover pieces would be that voters will be more likely to vote for you if your leftover piles are small. If you show the model with the leftover pieces together on a scale, the weight should be identical for all four, but then not everyone has digital gram resolution scales. Eh, it's an idea for when you're running out of ideas :laugh:.

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

I'm also working on a shrunk Land Rover btw.

You’ve shot yourself in the foot by showing us that as it looks like a great model and would have received a lot of votes

10 minutes ago, Seasider said:

You’ve shot yourself in the foot by showing us that as it looks like a great model and would have received a lot of votes

Though the (I assume) unofficial fender colors would probably disqualify it from a contest, I assume. :sad:

44 minutes ago, Seasider said:

That's called honesty.

4 hours ago, Seasider said:

No lol cuz that photo is a model from Sembo bricks, and I just recreated it. I take no credit for it. It should be quite obvious because the small mudguards in Land Rover green doesnt exist.

As for real entries I have two more in the closet that I'm not showing any time soon.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

So, question: For the shrink a set contest, does that set have to be from Technic line? Can I shrink a car from another line? I'm thinking of shrinking the new classic land rover.

This is technic formum, I think. Let's not mix.

That could be other contest - recrate some other theme set in to technic.

1 hour ago, Jurss said:

That could be other contest - recrate some other theme set in to technic.

Yup, feels like a different contest to me.

I liked (though didn't participate in) TC18 - small Technic car context and I liked when we were making small construction vehicles. The size and or part limitation makes it inclusive/approachable for more people to work on something that is neat and can be also recreated by others easily later on.

Shrinking sets sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if maybe something like making Senna/Bolide-size&quality competitors would be something that a lot of people would be into as we all are into making cars, and it could be an event to share creativity again on using of the new parts.

2 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Shrinking sets sounds interesting, but I'm wondering if maybe something like making Senna/Bolide-size&quality competitors would be something that a lot of people would be into as we all are into making cars, and it could be an event to share creativity again on using of the new parts.

Would depend on the quality of the build in the end. Even shrinking the 8880 would be a cool task.

The goal should also be "Maintain as much functions as possible"

4 hours ago, SaperPL said:

I liked (though didn't participate in) TC18 - small Technic car context and I liked when we were making small construction vehicles. The size and or part limitation makes it inclusive/approachable for more people to work on something that is neat and can be also recreated by others easily later on.

We did a car competition where it had to be of the same scale and size to fit the car transporter. TC18 from 2020

1 hour ago, Seasider said:

We did a car competition where it had to be of the same scale and size to fit the car transporter. TC18 from 2020

yes, I know. I just missed this one, and also this is something that IMO had quite a lot of creativity poured in by the contestants because topic cars is really big part of what people are doing with Lego Technic.And it shouldn't be a big problem to revisit this topic since we've got many new parts, especially some small panels introduced by Lego since that contest.

12 hours ago, SaperPL said:

yes, I know. I just missed this one, and also this is something that IMO had quite a lot of creativity poured in by the contestants because topic cars is really big part of what people are doing with Lego Technic.And it shouldn't be a big problem to revisit this topic since we've got many new parts, especially some small panels introduced by Lego since that contest.

Maybe some day, but it was only a couple of years away. If we're going to revisit old contest themes, there's plenty of others which were held much longer ago like watercraft, aircraft or pullback contests.

At some point there should be a truck contest which, I'm sure, would also gather a lot of interest. Perhaps with some kind of limitations like "truck but no cranes" or something.

I both agree with @SaperPL and @howitzer this contest could be re-run, but maybe in 2 or 3 years. As most vehicle builders scale their MOCs to the available wheels, I really liked the limitation in the TC18 with I think only 30 mm rims.

Thinking about it: How about a contest with tractor tires only? :devil_laugh:

Another contest idea which popped into my mind:

Recreate another (non-Lego) toy in Technic. It should be based on some real toy for which photos should be provided and it should have some kind of functionality faithful to the original. It should also be clearly a toy and not something that's otherwise functional (for example a pedal car could be eligible but a kid's bike wouldn't). 

10 hours ago, howitzer said:

Maybe some day, but it was only a couple of years away. If we're going to revisit old contest themes, there's plenty of others which were held much longer ago like watercraft, aircraft or pullback contests.

7 hours ago, Jundis said:

I both agree with @SaperPL and @howitzer this contest could be re-run, but maybe in 2 or 3 years. As most vehicle builders scale their MOCs to the available wheels, I really liked the limitation in the TC18 with I think only 30 mm rims.

The thing is, I think that TC18 might've pushed things forward with how much we get in car transporter-sized sport cars. For me it could've been cyclic events about sport cars and construction vehicles every two years but each time with some kind of twist so it's not getting repetitive too much, but if Lego designers are taking inspiration from what's happening here, than maybe this could be a good feedback loop for them on what we can do with new parts they are introducing, but faster than waiting few years for the topic to get too old.

7 hours ago, Jundis said:

Thinking about it: How about a contest with tractor tires only? :devil_laugh:

you mean the thread type like the ones in the jeep or specifically the ones from tractor sets, the bigger ones?

Btw, what do you think about this kind of idea: modular chassis contest - body needs to be easily detachable, engine needs to be easily replaceable, chassis has to work with different types of wheels. You have to make two types of bodies, two types of engines, everything needs to work with everything, two types of wheels/tyres etc, and show replacement procedure on the video.

39 minutes ago, SaperPL said:

Btw, what do you think about this kind of idea: modular chassis contest - body needs to be easily detachable, engine needs to be easily replaceable, chassis has to work with different types of wheels. You have to make two types of bodies, two types of engines, everything needs to work with everything, two types of wheels/tyres etc, and show replacement procedure on the video.

This has been on my mind (and on my list) for quite some time.

29 minutes ago, Jim said:

This has been on my mind (and on my list) for quite some time.

Awesome, let's do this :D

But really, this is such an awesome thing to do because if you keep things modular, then later on others can either use the chassis or the body.

I love those photos from @ArsMan064's El Toro Loco as a reference here because it shows that the model was really thought through well:

640x427.jpg

Also for me, my front engine V6 chassis project where I ended up with a car that had easily removable body was one of the most playable MOCs that I did - I would take it apart and put back together many times, it was like a fidgeting toy to me:

source.gif

The challenge of making a chassis that is clean and sturdy without the body, and then needs to accept attachment of the body is something that is really interesting here, and at small scale (parts count or size limitation) we end up seeing a lot of how the chassis is constructed.

Edited by SaperPL