Sign in to follow this  
Peppermint_M

Action Theme Forum and You!

Personally, I wish topics about media properties connected to action themes (such as the Ninjago or Chima TV series) could reside here in the action theme subforum. I'm not suggesting they be merged into the main topics for those themes, but rather that the "official topics" for discussion of those shows be moved here in addition to the main set discussion topics. It just doesn't make sense to me that they're relegated to a forum that contains discussion of all media, whether Lego-related or not.

Also, I think that having those topics in this subforum would make people who come here to discuss those themes more aware of them, which in turn would keep the show discussion from bleeding over into the sets topics as often. I think a lot of times, show discussion ends up in the sets topics because people aren't aware of or don't visit the culture and multimedia subforum. Having both types of topic readily available in the action themes subforum would make it so that we'd need fewer reminders that show discussion takes place in a completely different corner of the site.

I strongly second this.

I have a question about the Action Theme forum :classic:

Why are Scooby Doo and Jurassic World in the LEGO Licensed forum?

I think they should be here

I mean, LOTR is in the LEGO Historic Themes forum and PoC is in the LEGO Pirates forum

I have a question about the Action Theme forum :classic:

Why are Scooby Doo and Jurassic World in the LEGO Licensed forum?

I think they should be here

I mean, LOTR is in the LEGO Historic Themes forum and PoC is in the LEGO Pirates forum

I mean, the reason for those other exemptions (LotR and PoC) is because, at the time those themes debuted, neither forum had much else to discuss (due to the lack of other Pirates/Castle themes). Action Themes doesn't really have that problem—we have Ninjago, Chima, Ultra Agents, and a host of other themes to discuss.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to Jurassic World and Scooby Doo being moved here, but it's not really necessary.

Is Scooby-Doo! really an "action" theme, though? And what about the older LEGO Studios Jurassic Park sets? They surely don't really fit here, but it also wouldn't do to split the theme across forums.

Moreover, if those criteria are used to bring those themes here, well... heck, why have the Licensed forum at all? Practically every Licensed theme could fit elsewhere in EB's forum boundaries.

Is Scooby-Doo! really an "action" theme, though? And what about the older LEGO Studios Jurassic Park sets? They surely don't really fit here, but it also wouldn't do to split the theme across forums.

Moreover, if those criteria are used to bring those themes here, well... heck, why have the Licensed forum at all? Practically every Licensed theme could fit elsewhere in EB's forum boundaries.

I mean, the reason for those other exemptions (LotR and PoC) is because, at the time those themes debuted, neither forum had much else to discuss (due to the lack of other Pirates/Castle themes). Action Themes doesn't really have that problem—we have Ninjago, Chima, Ultra Agents, and a host of other themes to discuss.

Basically, LOTR, Star Wars, and POTC are the only exemptions for why Lyichir stated (oh, and Star Wars is because it's arguably LEGO's biggest theme). It's much easier to have licensed as a forum for all the other licensed stuff and action themes for all the none licensed action stuff in terms of moderation and organization.

It's an adventure theme, not action IMO.

I'd support that. The lincesed forum is kinda messy

and Star Wars is because it's arguably LEGO's biggest theme

Isn't it City?

I'd support that. The lincesed forum is kinda messy

Isn't it City?

Well, then if they removed the licensed forum, it would be an amazingly messy transition. They'd have to start from the bottom and sort through hundreds of threads, or just archive it all leading to so much confusion. Then, there's themes like Toy Story and Cars and Angry Birds or whatever, which would be crammed into Special Themes, and then Simpsons would be crammed into Town, Harry Potter would be up in limbo. Fantasy, or Action? And the move of Scooby Doo and Jurassic World to the Action Themes would mean more moderation. Trust me, the Action Themes forum needs its own sorting- that's why this thread was revived. New indexing is needed. And yet, many have seemed to have missed that point and have just begun complaining about abolishing the licensed theme forums and other stuff that would cause more craziness for the moderation team and users in general. :look:

And, I said Star Wars is arguably the biggest. I know it's the best selling, but like, let's not debate. :tongue:

Edited by just2good

And yet, many have seemed to have missed that point and have just begun complaining about abolishing the licensed theme forums and other stuff that would cause more craziness for the moderation team and users in general. :look:

I see your point. It would be a lot of work to do

I see your point. It would be a lot of work to do

For the new Regulator. :classic:

I am a moderator so I can wake up a thread from years ago :tongue:

So chaps, time to repeat the question: What do we want, what does Action and Adventure themes need? Does anyone have a preferred theme for the banner? What do we think of trying to index reviews again? (not that there are many these days). Any more suggestions?

Have at thee!

The Ninjago Movie would be a nice theme for the banner, IMO

It's the first time ever a LEGO theme gets a big budget movie

5 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

So chaps, time to repeat the question: What do we want, what does Action and Adventure themes need? .

Unlimited power.

Does anyone have a preferred theme for the banner?

I'd to see a mix, which would defiantly need Ninjago ,Elves  and Adventures featured but Exo-force, Atlantis and power miners are some others that would be nice to see.

What do we think of trying to index reviews again?

Yes I like the sound of that.

Any more suggestions?

I'm sure I'll think of something eventually.

On 2/21/2018 at 4:00 AM, Peppermint_M said:

I am a moderator so I can wake up a thread from years ago :tongue:

So chaps, time to repeat the question: What do we want, what does Action and Adventure themes need? Does anyone have a preferred theme for the banner? What do we think of trying to index reviews again? (not that there are many these days). Any more suggestions?

Have at thee!

I'd like to see a banner with representation from the most recent "Big Bang" themes, those being Ninjago, Chima and Nexo Knights. Adding the older themes would make it too cluttered.

On 21/02/2018 at 9:00 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Any more suggestions?

On 21/02/2018 at 4:47 PM, Agent Kallus said:

I'm sure I'll think of something eventually.

Well to quote something from 5 years ago.

On 15/09/2013 at 6:55 PM, Penkid11 said:

When we had contests that short while during and after the Ninjago Month last year, we seemed to see a lot more action in this forum (I couldn't resist :tongue:) I know that you were offering physical prizes for the Ninjago ones in paricular, but tags are no object. Maybe some contests could be based off of older themes as well. I'm sure an Aquazone contest, for example, would be a hit!

We could also use some more reviews. I know that there really is only a review spike when a new wave of sets come out, but if we could find a way to get a review out every other week on a new(ish) set, that could definitely bring some more user traffic in. I've been thinking about starting to do some pictorial reviews (rather than mini-reviews in the set's respective forum), but I think that I should do some studying on the Academy's reviews first.

Reviews may be too much of an ask and I tend to use brickset and youtube for that anyway but its a nice thought. But I'd love some more contests, as mentioned by @Penkid11 tags could be the prizes which would mean there'd be no cost.

Edited by Agent Kallus

On 2/21/2018 at 3:00 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Does anyone have a preferred theme for the banner? 

How about a Captain America: Civil War-like banner, with some of Lego's greatest action/adventure heroes going up against their own villains in a head-to-head stampede charge? :shrug_oh_well:

On 2/21/2018 at 3:00 AM, Peppermint_M said:

Any more suggestions?

Perhaps a few permanent pins of some select wishlist/speculation topics, just to catch the attention of new members of the forum? If not that, how about a new index topic for all noteworthy wishlist/speculation topics instead?

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

How about a Captain America: Civil War-like banner, with some of Lego's greatest action/adventure heroes going up against their own villains in a head-to-head stampede charge? :shrug_oh_well:

That's a great idea! Seconded. :thumbup:

It is good to hear that people want more tag contests, they are fun to run and get people building. 

As for the reviews index, it is something I keep planning to overhaul... 

OK, so people want indexes, I want to make them. Brand new and better than before. For reviews, MOCs and discussion threads pertaining to each theme. The feature on the forum that turns forum links into a tidy box means a nice index can be created. (things like contest voting might be left out).

However, there are a lot of themes that are rather short. So I came up with a solution. Covering themes! 

So it works like this :- 

Adventure :- Adventurers, Pharaohs Quest, Dino, Dino 2010/ Dino Attack, Monster Fighters

Aquazone :- Atlantis, Aqua Raiders, Aquazone.

Fantasy :- Elves, Chima, Nexo Knights

Ninjago (has an index to itself, as it is evergreen)

Secret Agents :- Alpha Team, Agents, Ultra Agents.

Underground :- Rock Raiders, Power Miners.

Now, this still leaves Time Cruisers and World Racers alone. I do not know where to fit them in besides creating a "Wildcard" section.

Of course, there will be a Master index that links to each theme section 

What do people think?

2 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

What do people think?

Could these themed MOC indexes be also used by other users to highlight themed creations found elsewhere beyond Eurobricks? Over on the Town and Sci-Fi subforums, users @danth and @LegoModularFan started inspiration topics showcasing creations pertaining to the subject of those subforums found on Eurobricks, Flickr, Instagram, and elsewhere.

I want the indexes to be for forum content only. You are welcome to start inspiration threads that can be linked into the appropriate index as discussions :classic:. These indexes are planned to be one-stop places for all sub-theme content so people can find things related to their favourites within this diverse "theme".

Just now, Peppermint_M said:

I want the indexes to be for forum content only. You are welcome to start inspiration threads that can be linked into the appropriate index as discussions :classic:. These indexes are planned to be one-stop places for all sub-theme content so people can find things related to their favourites within this diverse "theme".

Okay, thanks! :classic:

So as I have been working on indexing I have noticed far too much lost to Photobucket, so they're not getting listed. It has been crazy nostalgic to find posts and threads I recall from my early days. 

Here is another question: I have decided to list tags for each theme in the index. Would an explanation of them be appreciated?

Do people want indexed MOCs? 

I have noticed that it can create clutter from users posting comments on very old threads. Also, as mentioned before, a lot of the MOCs on the forum are dead pictures which makes a list that is incomplete to me...

16 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Do people want indexed MOCs? 

I have noticed that it can create clutter from users posting comments on very old threads. Also, as mentioned before, a lot of the MOCs on the forum are dead pictures which makes a list that is incomplete to me...

I think it is always a problem if super old Mocs get bumped up but on the other hand an index is always a very handy thing to have. Plus if a Moc is so good that people want to comment it may be relevant and has its place between the new topics. But there is maybe a better solution that I can not think of by now.

As for tags I think they can speak for themself in most cases. If it would be super unclear a explanation can be also given later.