just2good

Disney Princess 2014 Rumors & Discussion

I don't know, Gryphon Ink, the Merida pictured in the box art looks like the movie version rather than the revamped "princess". That, at least, gives me a bit of hope about the future of the line.

Plus the set consists of her shooting a bow at a target. If she was having a tea party with Belle, it'd be different. Even though the set does contain a mishmash of scenes from the movie, they aren't overly princess-ified scenes. The triplets with a cookie catapult are pretty funny. The will-o'-the-wisps, which were a bit creepy in the movie are even represented.

Sure, it's not a cage match with Mordu, but I'll take it.

I'm glad it's minidolls, but my opinion may be null and void since I have a serious soft spot for early Belville figures...

I am hoping we get a few sets based on the more obscure princesses. Kairi and Alice comes to mind, who are both princesses in the Kingdom Hearts game (Also Alice sometimes appears in the Disney Princess marketing anyway). It would be nice even if at some point the line extends to a fuller range of Disney characters other than princesses, which I feel if this line is popular than that's always a possibility.

That's a real stretch to say the least. I'd be incredibly shocked to ever see a Kingdom Hearts inclusion within the Disney Princess line.

That's a real stretch to say the least. I'd be incredibly shocked to ever see a Kingdom Hearts inclusion within the Disney Princess line.

It is a stretch for Kairi yes, but Alice is definitely possible. After all she already appears with the Disney princesses from time to time (Along with other non princesses Pocahontas and Mulan). And as for anything Kingdom Hearts I will say the possibility would go up if Disney ever adapted it (Which you never know, they're relationship with the video game industry is constantly changing).

Alice would be a reasonable set to make. And has some potential for something fun and different. Others on the list of "commoner" type Princess sets could be a Peter Pan and Wendy set, Lilo and Stitch maybe (ok Lilo might be tough as a minidoll, but her sister is perfect. A nice little surfing beach set.) Maybe something like Mary Poppins would work well in minidolls as well? Not to mention the "core" Princesses that they haven't touched on yet. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty / Aurora. Mulan. etc. And figure there will be at least one tie in set to the next movie, Frozen. That seems almost tailor made for these type sets.

The only princesses in the official Disney Princess lineup are: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Ariel, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Milan, Tiana and Merida. Possibly the Frozen girl will get added. But they're the only characters used under that brand, so don't get your hopes up for anyone else. Even if it would be brilliant.

The only princesses in the official Disney Princess lineup are: Snow White, Cinderella, Aurora, Belle, Ariel, Jasmine, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, Milan, Tiana and Merida. Possibly the Frozen girl will get added. But they're the only characters used under that brand, so don't get your hopes up for anyone else. Even if it would be brilliant.

That may be true, but there are instances where other characters have been featured. Both Alice and Meg have been featured at various points, so there is always the possibility of other characters appearing (But not before the main line-up are featured). I see no problem in seeing it as a possibility. At the end of the day Disney is a money driven company, if there was a surge in interest for those characters then they will merchandise them. So while the possibility isn't great now it could be at a later time. After all with a sequel to Alice in Wonderland in the works Disney could always decide to capitalize on that.

That may be true, but there are instances where other characters have been featured. Both Alice and Meg have been featured at various points, so there is always the possibility of other characters appearing (But not before the main line-up are featured). I see no problem in seeing it as a possibility. At the end of the day Disney is a money driven company, if there was a surge in interest for those characters then they will merchandise them. So while the possibility isn't great now it could be at a later time. After all with a sequel to Alice in Wonderland in the works Disney could always decide to capitalize on that.

I'm always a little sad that Giselle from Enchanted didn't get to be a Disney Princess. But Amy Adams got to be a LEGO minifigure and so far all the Disney Princesses have only been Duplo or Minidolls, so I'm counting that as a win for Ms. Adams.

I'm always a little sad that Giselle from Enchanted didn't get to be a Disney Princess. But Amy Adams got to be a LEGO minifigure and so far all the Disney Princesses have only been Duplo or Minidolls, so I'm counting that as a win for Ms. Adams.

Well she was actually going to be a part of the Disney Princess line when the movie came out. However they decided not to as they would have had to buy Amy Adams likeness. So really the win for her was being too expensive even for Disney.

Giselle is basically a Disney Princess. The only reason she wasn't is someone lawyered up and wanted royalties so they're not allowed to market her as one. :/

Despite Kairi has license issues, what we hope is to include more scenes that are not princess-like or even from no-princess stories. Since the license can do that, we shouldn't argue who are "official princesses" and who are not. Is Jack Sparrow a Disney Princess??

Reasonably, if this case happens in normal toy companies that sells "unbuildable" princes castles, you can't ask them to add the tower from Hero's Duty because those companies can only produce for a series targeted at specific customers. But this is Lego, which has an obviously wider customer range who are able to play Chima and Ninjago. It's not a kind of over expectation.

Giselle is basically a Disney Princess.

There are too many examples like her as we know. Tingting, Kilala, Sofia, Kida..... etc. Though Disney are often questioned for being selective, however, many unofficial princesses don't come from folk legends or fairy tales. In Giselle's example, she only represents a typical princess but not a notable identity. Merida is the only "original" princess in a broad sense.

Edited by Dorayaki

This can't be an official list. They seem rather obsessed with Tinkerbell. Don't they try to market a bunch of stuff around her? I wouldn't be surprised to see a Tinkerbell set if the rest of these do well.

And who is Tiana?

Oh, duh, right. The Frog Princess...

Tinkerbell has her own Fairy theme. If this does work out, they might include a line for her and her friends in the future but she's not normally included in the "Princess" marketing.

That is the official Princesses lineup. That's part of what I was trying to explain earlier. Disney are very selective about who and what appears in the Princesses brand. To put it in AFOL terms, some of your Technic and Creator sets might be minifig-scale vehicles or houses that fit right into your urban display, but they still aren't City sets.

Tinker Bell is one of the company's mascots and the main character in the Disney Fairies brand, but she's not a Disney Princess.

I wasn't trying to harsh on anybody's mellow when I disparaged the Princesses brand. I like some Disney movies and characters and would be very happy to see a lot more Lego sets based on them. But Disney is one thing, and Disney Princesses is another. That's not my opinion, it's the company's marketing strategy.

That is the official Princesses lineup. That's part of what I was trying to explain earlier. Disney are very selective about who and what appears in the Princesses brand. To put it in AFOL terms, some of your Technic and Creator sets might be minifig-scale vehicles or houses that fit right into your urban display, but they still aren't City sets.

I wasn't trying to harsh on anybody's mellow when I disparaged the Princesses brand. I like some Disney movies and characters and would be very happy to see a lot more Lego sets based on them. But Disney is one thing, and Disney Princesses is another. That's not my opinion, it's the company's marketing strategy.

While being selective, Disney somtimes include some other non-princess characters (beside Mulan) like Alice and Tinker Bell. Actually Disney Princess is inclined to be a collection of girly characters, not a 100% royalty party.

Yes, I agree with the fact that the products we see for now are still restricted in the range of very stereotypical Disney Princesses. But still as I said, there is no way Lego can't do more since they've done many other products based on "princessless" Disney stories. A more realistic reason I can imagine is that it's very difficult to ask Disney for multiple stories because license fee would be huge, while Disney Princesses are relatively cheaper (which could be a risk for the Cuusoo Minifigure Project).

Edited by Dorayaki

A golden bow is very welcome. I wish it was a longbow though.

The bow, to me, is the highlight of the set. But I also loved Brave, so getting an official Merida fig is really awesome.

I'm with Gryphon on this. The Disney Princess line has a defined 'membership'. In any Disney store anywhere in the world no other character is included under that theme... They even have a ceremony to welcome any new princess. So with that I don't see Tink or Alice or any other 'non-princess' appearing in this line.

If any other characters appear with them it'll be under a generic Disney banner... Not princesses.

Alice would be a great theme for Lego... Although I hate the story... It's very visual. It's just won't happen under the Disney Princess banner.

Having a 4 yr old daughter helps you learn about these things.

Alice would be a great theme for Lego... Although I hate the story... It's very visual. It's just won't happen under the Disney Princess banner.

Actually, it not being part of the disney princess line might work in our favor, it's possible they might do it with regular minifigures rather than minidolls.

I'm with Gryphon on this. The Disney Princess line has a defined 'membership'. In any Disney store anywhere in the world no other character is included under that theme...

I don't know if you got it, TLC has already introduced many Disney characters who are not even princess "members" so that's not the problem.

I'm with Gryphon on this. The Disney Princess line has a defined 'membership'. In any Disney store anywhere in the world no other character is included under that theme... They even have a ceremony to welcome any new princess. So with that I don't see Tink or Alice or any other 'non-princess' appearing in this line.

Except other non-princess characters have appeared in the line in the past. Particularly in the books and videos characters like Alice have been featured. While it's true they never appear in the toy line they sometimes do appear in the books and sing along videos and such that have been produced. So to say they never appear in any princess merchandising is inaccurate.

And I agree that it's unlikely we'll ever see the other characters as a part of this line, but I'm not willing to say it's impossible when other characters have guest starred in the merchandising in the past. I honestly feel that if this line does well than Disney might opt to make another theme focused on other characters. I can only hope anyway...

I just like that Disney has a license in the minidoll scale. Some might say it will weaken the strength of the Friends core line, but I think it may draw more people into it who wouldn't already be on-board. I feel like TLG is doing a good job making a line (with Friends) that portrays strong, smart, independent feminine characters. Disney characters, arguably, present some or all of those features but not necessarily in that order. But to me, that's okay - it's two markets, same scale.

Merida and the princess revamp are very polarizing - I think it was good to reveal this set early to ensure conversation - I agree that her hair could have been more...Merida...but I also think that it is a "stronger" set - she has a bow and target. She isn't serving the cookies. They could have done a lot worse, and I think it's the medium (LEGO) that allows them to let the character be closer to the movie than to the "brand" of Disney Princess.

The best thing I think that could come out of the whole line - a Princess Leia cross-over. Even if only an exclusive set at one of those Starwars Weekends at Disney World or something (Which means I'd have zero chance at owning one) I'd still like to see it...