Dragonator

Heroica RPG 2nd Anniversary Building Contest - Rules and Discussion

What about photoshopping a glow over certain items (e.g. to make them appear to be lit up), would that be allowed or not?

Awesome initiative by the way, I'm definitely trying to participate, and I can't wait for other people's entries.

This sounds like a great competition, I shall try to enter, but I need to learn more about the world Heroica, so I suppose Heroica is very similar to the lego Horoica board games? I will need to educate myself into what I might build, Im sure I will come up with something, thanks eurobricks :classic:

Oh this looks fun! OK im not very familiar with heroica but its sort of medieval fantasy setting right?

Oh this looks fun! OK im not very familiar with heroica but its sort of medieval fantasy setting right?

Yes; it's a lot like GoH in setting. Myself and a couple other players even entered Historica when it first began using our Heroica characters.

Try to read the rules and the library and when you found an interesting theme, ask us what quests have useful information. :classic:

so I suppose Heroica is very similar to the lego Horoica board games? I

It's inspired by the board games, but I would say the RPG has branched off away from the LEGO board game setting. Though you're welcome to use those sets as inspiration!

Advice to non-RPG player entrants: Check out the Rules and Discussion thread (for the game) and the very first three quests. It's how most of the players first got to know the world of Heroica. :thumbup:

Cool contest.

What's the official stance on custom fabric elements (capes, sails, string, etc.)? It this purist purist (i.e. if it didn't come from TLG it shouldn't be in your MOC) or "plastic and printing" purist (no mods to ABS parts, no painting, no decals but non-Lego string and (plain) cut-to-fit cloth elements are okay)?

It's inspired by the board games, but I would say the RPG has branched off away from the LEGO board game setting. Though you're welcome to use those sets as inspiration!

Advice to non-RPG player entrants: Check out the Rules and Discussion thread (for the game) and the very first three quests. It's how most of the players first got to know the world of Heroica. :thumbup:

Thanks for the advice and the reply, I shall do that, I look forward to trying to enter the competition, and thanks again :classic:

What about photoshopping a glow over certain items (e.g. to make them appear to be lit up), would that be allowed or not?

Awesome initiative by the way, I'm definitely trying to participate, and I can't wait for other people's entries.

Only simple photo editing (like resizing, making the background white) is permitted. No editing that changes the actual model is allowed. So no adding glows; if you want to do that, try doing it with actual lighting!

That's right, with influences of steampunk, various other medieval cultures, all sorts! The idea is to build something in the genre; if you're unsure, someone will know whether it would fit, and there is of course a lot of the Heroica universe that hasn't been explored yet, so there is a lot of room for creativity and coming up with your own new locations for the world.

Cool contest.

What's the official stance on custom fabric elements (capes, sails, string, etc.)? It this purist purist (i.e. if it didn't come from TLG it shouldn't be in your MOC) or "plastic and printing" purist (no mods to ABS parts, no painting, no decals but non-Lego string and (plain) cut-to-fit cloth elements are okay)?

No custom fabrics sorry, only LEGO elements are allowed. All elements must come from TLG is a great rule of thumb. :thumbup:

Building on what Draggy said, we often take elements from other popular publications as well, so don't be afraid to adapt those. (Off the top of my head, I've made references to Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Back to the Future, Irregular Webcomic!, Darths and Droids, Don Quixote, The Princess Bride...)

If I'm building an air ship can the wings hang over the 32x32 limit by about 2-4 studs?

If I submit a project, can I use it in other contests? Or do you automatically copyright it?

On EB we usually require entries to be new MOCs, not previously seen by anyone else. Other sites' contests might not have that rule, but you would almost certainly be unable to enter two EB contests with the same entry.

If I'm building an air ship can the wings hang over the 32x32 limit by about 2-4 studs?

All construction must be within a 32x32 area.

I have a question, I have nearly finished my build and I am thinking of about incorporating the lego power functions lights with the battery box, would this be ok for just one of the pictures then the other 2 pictures would be without the battery and power functions because I don't want the cables and battery box showing, only on one of the pictures I would like to light up 2 certain parts of my build?

(I hope the figures are deemed to be acceptable for the world of heroica as I have included dwarfs, trolls and crown and lion knights) :classic:

(I hope the figures are deemed to be acceptable for the world of heroica as I have included dwarfs, trolls and crown and lion knights) :classic:

So the Hinckwells (crownies, one of the core factions) and the Lion Knights (lions, see Quests 4, 17, and 31), who have been known to work together in the past. :thumbup:

For ease of reference, let me make a list of existing LEGO factions whose symbols have been co-opted by in-game factions:

*Hinckwells (blue crownies), rivals to the Shadeaux

*Lion Knights (modern red-and-white lion knights)

*Shadeaux (Fright Knights), rivals to the Hinckwells

*Empire of Dastan (Dragon Knights, other forms of dragon imagery)

*Bonapartes (black falcons, though rarely used)

*Wolfgang (Wolfpack)

*Paladin Order of Ennoc (Jayko's minifig-scale shield)

These are just the ones off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting--and remember, these are mainly just jumping-off points; there have been plenty of characters from these factions that don't wear their faction's livery. :wink:

So the Hinckwells (crownies, one of the core factions) and the Lion Knights (lions, see Quests 4, 17, and 31), who have been known to work together in the past. :thumbup:

For ease of reference, let me make a list of existing LEGO factions whose symbols have been co-opted by in-game factions:

*Hinckwells (blue crownies), rivals to the Shadeaux

*Lion Knights (modern red-and-white lion knights)

*Shadeaux (Fright Knights), rivals to the Hinckwells

*Empire of Dastan (Dragon Knights, other forms of dragon imagery)

*Bonapartes (black falcons, though rarely used)

*Wolfgang (Wolfpack)

*Paladin Order of Ennoc (Jayko's minifig-scale shield)

These are just the ones off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more that I'm forgetting--and remember, these are mainly just jumping-off points; there have been plenty of characters from these factions that don't wear their faction's livery. :wink:

Thanks so much for that, well I may just have to name them by those faction names, aswell as make up a few names :laugh: , thanks again :classic:

Also, off the top of my head, Jeb's order of Akkaba (?) uses the symbol on Vladek's breastplate, the Forestmen have the Forestman shield and have been purposely left mysterious in the Heroica universe, the Brobric Elves use the CMF S3 elf, the Ve'er guards use the CMF Musketeer, the Mopag use the CMF S2 Spartans but with Clone Wars faces and flesh skin, the Crusaders are used as a past version of the Lion Knights, and the Neo-Black Knight from the Kingdom's Joust has not been used but Sandy has ruled that it should be used only for the Bonapartes. (Likewise, I assume that the CMF Crown Knight would be used only for the Hinckwells.) The CMF Boar Knight's shield has been shown in one of my quests, on the wall of a hallway in Dastan, but as far as I know it's not associated with any faction.

I've finally finished, I might upload it tomorrow, and as I said before: Will I be able to use lego power functions in one of my pictures as extra lighting?

And thanks very much for all of the useful information guys, I shall be using some of it when I write the description to my build. :classic:

EDIT: Oh gosh, before I take pictures, I just wanted to clarify, On my building that I have made, I have used minifigure legs as decoration, Id just like to ask will these be accepted as they are still lego and all I have done is separated them from their connector piece, but they can easily be reconnected, Id never destroy lego :classic: (any clarification would be great as Id love to know and IMO it looks great)

Edited by Kez

Well, the power functions is still LEGO, so I assume yes. And yes, you can use the minifigure legs.

I've finally finished, I might upload it tomorrow, and as I said before: Will I be able to use lego power functions in one of my pictures as extra lighting?

And thanks very much for all of the useful information guys, I shall be using some of it when I write the description to my build. :classic:

If it is just for lighting up the MOC for photos then that is fine, people use all sorts of lights when taking photos of their creations. If it is to be considered part of the creation though (eg for making parts move, lighting up little torches, that sort of thing), then it would need to be built into the MOC, so would need to fit inside the 32x32 base etc.

EDIT: Oh gosh, before I take pictures, I just wanted to clarify, On my building that I have made, I have used minifigure legs as decoration, Id just like to ask will these be accepted as they are still lego and all I have done is separated them from their connector piece, but they can easily be reconnected, Id never destroy lego :classic: (any clarification would be great as Id love to know and IMO it looks great)

That is fine.

If it is just for lighting up the MOC for photos then that is fine, people use all sorts of lights when taking photos of their creations. If it is to be considered part of the creation though (eg for making parts move, lighting up little torches, that sort of thing), then it would need to be built into the MOC, so would need to fit inside the 32x32 base etc.

That is fine.

Thanks so much for the reply, that sounds great to me and I hope to get images uploaded later (off to get me so,e Lone Ranger polybags) :classic:

I've finally finished taking my pictures, there are a lot, some good, others not so good, I hope to upload them later on as I have just finished importing them (my photo studio is rather shocking haha :laugh: but Im sure it will be ok, honestly my MOC looks better in person than on camera) :classic:

I've uploaded pictures of my entry onto my Flickr, I hope its ok to include a link to the rest of the pictures in my signature?

I shall try to fathom out how to deep link images :laugh: and I will get it up in the entry thread :classic:

I've uploaded pictures of my entry onto my Flickr, I hope its ok to include a link to the rest of the pictures in my signature?

I shall try to fathom out how to deep link images :laugh: and I will get it up in the entry thread :classic:

Well, the rules says that you are allowed to link to larger versions of your pictures but not to additional ones. I'm not sure how links in signatures is handled though, but if you want to be on the safe side you can make the extra pictures private on your Flickr photostream and mark them as public once the contest is over.

In other news, I finished my entry yesterday.

Now I just need to take photos and all that crap. :tongue: