I have my 42009 still in the box. I wonder now, what is the effect of changing the cluth gear with a normal gear? I read pro's en cons here. I like it if it can lift something a bit more heavy, but does it also mean that I could potentially damage something?

Is that with the boom fully extended to the upper point with the LA's fully extended? Or is it with the boom lower?

Both the LA's and the telescopic arm was fully extended. I tried lifting with the boom in a 90-degree fashion, but the entire structure toppeled over.

I have my 42009 still in the box. I wonder now, what is the effect of changing the cluth gear with a normal gear? I read pro's en cons here. I like it if it can lift something a bit more heavy, but does it also mean that I could potentially damage something?

You won't damage anything, but the internal clutch of the Linear Actuators may slip, causing them to be misaligned. That's an easy fix though, but if left unattended, it will damage both the motor and the geartrain leading up to the actuator itself. Dislodging and twisting one of the actuators solves the problem if it happens.

I meant if you were attempting to raise the boom with a very heavy load, the clutch in the LA would slip. The "normal" 24T gear is what allows it to lift the heavy load in the first place. I have installed one on mine, and had no problems with it. You could in theory damage the boom, but I don't think the motor would be powerful enough to tear apart all those pieces. The boom is much more sturdier than the one of the previous Mobile Crane (8421).

I seem to have made a mistake in the building of my crane, or when mounting the superstructure to the undercarriage, cos the motor doesn't move the outriggers at all.

I also seem to have missed a step in the instructions, cos I was left with a grey 5L beam that was not supposed to be among the leftovers.

Edited by Error404

The 42009 kit comes with a plastic twin hook.

Where do i find a single hook as in the ultimate build? Is it metal? The hook needs some weight.

Instructions for the Ultimate 42009 are finished and availabla for download at www.jurgenstechniccorner.com

Hello All,

After a long time i'm back in the lego technic world.

My models from my childhood where the 850 and 8843. So a lot is changed :sweet:

I bought the 42009 together with my son, It is a wonderful set.

But this ultimate 42009 from Jurgen is super!.

Thanks for the effort Jurgen, much appreciated.

Regards Peter

Edited by MsiAmd

I just finished building my 42009 and it is even better than expected. The size alone is jaw-dropping and this thing is easily the largest set in my collection. It almost makes the Unimog look small. The entire build process was enjoyable and nothing ever felt repetitive or boring. Overall the model looks great but of course there are little changes here and there I'd like to make over time. The Ultimate 42009 would be incredible but I don't $200+ to spend of PF accessories right now. I'll save that for a future rebuild.

The first change was that I added two panels inside the engine bay to smarten it up a bit. I don't know why designer Markus Kossman left this area so open but perhaps it was due to cost restrictions.

The second change was small but important to me and that was to give the crane dual headlights(two clear per side). The Liebherr 1100-5.2 that this set is based on has a six-light arrangement and the previous 8421 crane does as well.

xpga.jpg

npl9.jpg

Could someone please confirm the number of spare parts left over? Is the list on Bricklink correct?

I seem to have an extra gray bushing as well as an extra frictionless gray pin. Also, I only have five extra black pins instead of ten.

Uh, I don't see what's so interesting with the sketch :look: is it the fact that it seem to have 4 axles and be more similar to the 2005 version than the final model is?

Edited by Error404

So, maybe this is not the right topic to ask you guys this, but can anyone post a picture of 42009 next to 8258 or 8285 ? I want to know if they are the same size. Thanks in advance !

I'm in the process of building Jurgen's ultimate 42009 and it's a beast. Thanks a lot Jurgen for all the time you spent making it available to us. Have a quick question I'm very new to technic world and looking at instructions for battery box install for the truck it looks like it is getting buried underneath the floorplates of the crane itself so it will make changing batteries problematic and given the size of this beast I don't think that regular battery box will last too long. I have two 6 year olds and we will be using this crane and Jurgen's ultimate excavator to build their lego city :). Has anyone tried installing lego's rechargeable battery box on the truck? And if so would you happen to have instructions. As I said I'm extremely new to technic world and would really hate to mess something up in this massive build. Thanks a lot for your help. And a little off topic question to Jurgen Between your ultimate excavator and Crane and Han's lowloader we almost have full park of construction vehicles. Any plans on creating ultimate motorized RC dump truck? Han's dump truck is awesome but he decided to forego RC drive for pneumatic dump function. Maybe ultimate 9397 B model? :). Thanks again for awesome builds.

Edited by matrosov

I used the 8878 rechargeable battery inside my truck, It's smaller, so it will fit in directly. I added some bricks to the batterybox so it would stay in the same place.. But you'll still need to remove the floorplated to recharge it.

It does give extra room for 1 extra PF-connector, which I used to put on rear-lights.

I am new to techic Lego some 30 years ago i bought 2 sets which i previously build again. I bought the 42009 as my first new piece i am curious if changing the L motor for an XL motor can make everything a little smoother or is this not the way to go.

One more question on Jurgens ultimate mod. on page 127 step 63 of the instructions there are two IR receivers do those need to be set to separate channels? Also the blue motor and orange motor wires do they go to the blue and red contacts of the IR receiver or the same contact stacked? And lastly the yellow motor wire that goes to the second receiver which contact point does that one go blue or red? Another one and I'm done for the night :). is fifth axle suppose to be steerable (i.e. should I have a little black gear on it or is it free floating and turns in relation to first second and third axles via inertia vs gearing. I couldn't go to sleep without trying to test it and it appears I am now stuck. I'm on page 121 and I installed all three medium motors and two IR receivers and tried to test it all. The orange motor works and is used for steering, the yellow motor is for lowering the outrigger supports now the blue motor does absolutely nothing at this point. The best I can see is that the motor is connected to small gray gear which is in turn linked to big white gear but that white gear is not connected to anything so it just turns freely, There is a gray gear behind it but it is not turning when blue motor is running. I've checked all the steps and all my gear placements appear to be correct at this point. By the logic of it blue motor is supposed to be extending outriggers but I just don't see how it can without white gear being connected to anything. Any ideas of what I might have done wrong? Thanks a lot for your help.

Edited by matrosov

I am new to techic Lego some 30 years ago i bought 2 sets which i previously build again. I bought the 42009 as my first new piece i am curious if changing the L motor for an XL motor can make everything a little smoother or is this not the way to go.

Well I don't own a 42009 myself, but if you can fit it in, you should do it, it should make it a lot smoother and more powerful.

Oh, and welcome to Eurobricks!

So, maybe this is not the right topic to ask you guys this, but can anyone post a picture of 42009 next to 8258 or 8285 ? I want to know if they are the same size. Thanks in advance !

First I thought you want a picture of all 3 cranes :) .. lol made a picture of that also.

I also made a picture of the 3 requested in your answer. They are simular equal in length. The 8258 is modified with a double wheel setup (not my own) but the length did not change

20131117_123723_zpsfa99ac7d.jpg

20131117_130542_zpse928b935.jpg

Edited by Ember

Can anyone offer advice on how to add a 6th axel?....as in what parts are needed and how to do it?

I also made a slight mod on the operator cabin, a cross bar for the frame.

654jgg.jpg