I'm not sure whether or not I'll get around to building the whole ultimate model, but I am very interested to see how you made the boom extend further and whether this is a mod I can easily apply to my model.

I'm not sure whether or not I'll get around to building the whole ultimate model, but I am very interested to see how you made the boom extend further and whether this is a mod I can easily apply to my model.

The instructions will come in 3 parts: truck, upperstructure and Boom. You can do only the Boom-mod if you like.

Looks very good jurgen,does the crane come with those black bushes?

No, sorry. This would have been a great chance for TLG to include black bushes and yellow pins with stop-bushes. The 8421 did have them ... Love those black bushes, very usefull.

But they didn't.

To be honest If I was going to try and make a crane I would try and copy the real one better,the amount of cranes with just three sections is getting a bit boring...also a crane this size would have two stage telescopic legs.

How wide is the boom as the boom mounting point?

Edited by Alasdair Ryan

Instructions for the Ultimate 42009 are coming along ...

They will be of better quality that the instructions for the Ultimate 8043

Wow! Those instructions are looking great!

Edited by Blakbird
: Removed large quoted images.

I widened the mud guards as well, but i used yellow liftarms to pick up the dominant colour of the cab and upper structure.

Additionally i tried to give the rear of the carriage a more finished look. The rear guard is 19 studs wide (same as wider mud guards) and covers the outriggers as well.

9454107074_60f4aee6c7_z.jpg

http://www.flickr.co...N04/9454107074/

The problem is that the super structure appears to be to narrow.

Edited by TinkerBrick

Made some mods to the superstructure, all cosmetic. Makes the superstructure look more complete.

IMG_2214_zps688f4da6.jpg

b44db490-21cd-4d02-8836-3e3ea5eed2d1_zps2feb6cab.jpg

TBs_20130719_1_28b.jpg

So I just want to get this cleared up. I found from the TechnicBricks review that to balance the "load," you need to have the 20t gears facing the same want, and not facing each other. But if that's the case, how come the reviewer still did it the way it's written in the instruction booklet?

So I just want to get this cleared up. I found from the TechnicBricks review that to balance the "load," you need to have the 20t gears facing the same want, and not facing each other. But if that's the case, how come the reviewer still did it the way it's written in the instruction booklet?

Probably because there is a bit more involved than just flipping the gear around. Some of the structure has to be relocated to accommodate the moved gear.

The 12-20-gear-combo needs to be braced on the side where the 20t- gear is to avoid gears grinding due to the heavy load. On the original, that's only on the outside of the actuators. In my Ultimate 42009 MOD both actuators are braced on both side, and the 20t-gears are placed on the same side.

Do you have an estimation how many/which extra parts (besides the PF elements) we will need for the ultimate?

Really looking forward to the ultimate instructions :) Curious to how many parts i need to get.

Im interested in the parts list too, although I am probably going to modify the boom only like blakbird. Also, are you going to make a video Jurgen?

Instructions for the Ultimate 42009 are coming along ...

They will be of better quality that the instructions for the Ultimate 8043

this looks really nice! how much will the instructions cost?

Edited by Blakbird
: Removed large quoted images.

The instructions are not ready yet, so you'll have to be patient for the complete parts-list. One thing I can tell allready: the extra parts required (exept for the PF-components) will be very standard and common parts.

I'm trying to minimize the need for non-42009 parts. Parts of the 42009 were recycled as much as possible.

Yes, a video will be a video as well.

There instructions will be free of charge. I only ask money for instructions of my own MOC's. It feels really awkwark to ask money for Ultimate 42009 instructions, since it's mainly someone else's design.

Edited by Jurgen Krooshoop

You're a good man Jurgen. I look forward to your enhancements for the 42009. I normally don't do mods to my sets, but I might make the exception this time! The superstructure begs to be motorized and RC!

I promised my wife that this is the last build I do until the little one arrives.. so you have until October :wink:

Because you cannot actually do what the article tells you to do. There is structural bracing in the way. This advice comes from 8043 (from me actually!) where it was actually possible to just turn the gear around to fix the problem.

dsc_2667.jpg

I see. I thought the setup look familiar when I got my eyes on it the 1st time. I have the 8043 as well. That's a good look model!

Because you cannot actually do what the article tells you to do. There is structural bracing in the way. This advice comes from 8043 (from me actually!) where it was actually possible to just turn the gear around to fix the problem.

is it possible with just a little change and without loosing stability

The instructions are not ready yet, so you'll have to be patient for the complete parts-list. One thing I can tell allready: the extra parts required (exept for the PF-components) will be very standard and common parts.

I'm trying to minimize the need for non-42009 parts. Parts of the 42009 were recycled as much as possible.

Yes, a video will be a video as well.

There instructions will be free of charge. I only ask money for instructions of my own MOC's. It feels really awkwark to ask money for Ultimate 42009 instructions, since it's mainly someone else's design.

Thank you :) Very nice done of you :)

Regarding the gear wheels being on the same side. Here is a picture i took in a different angle than the one shown by TB:s. It is not possible to just flip the wheels as mentioned before.

crane_mk_gears.jpg

I'm sticking to the original crane. Not sure how long i will even keep it built. Maybe someday in the future i'll build an ultimate but not now.

replace the left 2L liftarm with an thin 3L liftarm and and remove the left thick 3L liftarm and fill the gap at the lower end with a bush . now you can switch the position

I don't see the problem. If the 12-tooth gears which turns those grey gears, turns the same way, which is logical, it doesn't matter which side the grey gears are on. Unless I misunderstand something.