SheepEater

Things non-AFOLs say WAY too often

Things really got genius in 2011' date=' when Lego went ahead and created its own original series, Lego Ninjago. The premise is brilliant, from a merchandising and sales perspective. There are six main characters, five of them ninjas who have to go through various stages of training and ninja accomplishments -- meaning multiple permutations of minifigures from just the primary cast.

They made a show with toys? Those evil bastards! The hubris! Nobody's done that before!

Edited by InvincibleEagle

Most people I know are either understanding, or just don't care. I've had many discussions about Lego with the most unlikely of people. Given my other interests, licensed theme Lego garners more of a conversation as I can springboard into the IPs. The thing I probably hear the most is "that's cool. Fancy a beer?"

I think the thing is whether you are obsessed or casual, just take it in stride. No one really makes negative comments to me (they might behind my back, that I do not know), but they always ask me or direct me to a page that involves LEGO, just because it is about LEGO. I love LEGO and it is basically my only hobby, but I don't love ALL things LEGO. Just interesting to observe.

Just don't drone on to people about something they don't care about. This applies to everything, not just LEGO. Most people find it fascinating that I still build with LEGO, and love to ask questions, which I love to answer. And it's worked out well for me letting my LEGO hobby be known. Just had a third LEGO collection given to me by a friend!

Does the word "enough" even exist in the Lego dictionary? Enough, is that word real? :laugh:

In terms of NOT enough, yes :tongue:

"I think you have enough now."

Hahahaha!

LEGO is like Christmas decorations. I was once in a Costco (big box warehouse store) by the Christmas decorations area and I heard a young man (maybe late 20ish) saying to the young woman he was with (maybe his wife)... "Don't you have enougn Christmas crap?". I thought "you can never have too much Christmas crap, err decorations". Kind of like LEGO... You can never have too much LEGO. (well maybe not) I've not approached that yet. So, kind of hard to have too much LEGO. There's always that set you just have to have, or those pieces you must have to complete your latest MOC. If someone figures out how the normal collector/hobbiest can have enough LEGO, let me know.

Andy D

One thing I have heard a bit is "can't you make that from what you already have?". Its especially annoying when talking about a new set with new parts that they cant possible already have because the parts only come in that one set that has only just been released.

One thing I have heard a bit is "can't you make that from what you already have?". Its especially annoying when talking about a new set with new parts that they cant possible already have because the parts only come in that one set that has only just been released.

Oh that gets me in the feels! I'm pretty excited about the purple slide in a Junior set, and my partner was like "It's Lego, can't you just build a slide?"

!!! Build a PURPLE slide? NO. No I can't. My reaction might have been a bit worse as I am currently a bit grump at the lack of purple.

Sounds like they've never heard of City! Another one from I hear quite often:

"What's so fun about clicking some bricks together?"

~ Says the girl who spends all day looking at 'selfies'

Interesting to see my topic getting this big and still active.

This one I get more and more often, especially in the past 2 years due to the advent of 3D printers:

"Lego will be obsolete soon, people will just print their own bricks!"

To which I answer:

"...At 3 times the cost of buying the actual bricks and a tiny fraction of the quality. We're far from there yet, buddy."

"Don't tell me any spoilers about the Lego Movie I'm not going til Saturday!"

I think they might be on the edge between AFOL and non-AFOL now...

Here's a good one I just remembered:

"Legos are like cigarettes. They mess up your brain!"-my brother circa 1997

Indeed.. I credit them with turning me into an engineer. I now build comercial aircraft on the side.

My dad: "what would you like for your birthday? And no you are not getting any Lego" I cant even remember what kind of useless stuff my parents get me every year, I know for sure its not Lego...

My sister: "Hey, what Lego theme are you into this year? and what is the set number of the set that I should get you?" I gotta love the gall, we spend every birthday building the sets she gets me.

The occasional one night stand: "Wow! I haven't played with that stuff in years! We should build something!" We spent half the night building modulars (imagine my disappointment :wink: ).

My best friend: "Hey buddy! Congrats! Be sure to check your mailbox tomorrow!" Huge BL order containing very useful parts!

All this has been said at least twice. The thing my dad says has become somewhat of a tradition for the past 5 years :wink: . And my best friend only knows how to use Bricklink because I spent a full day explaining it to him, man that website needs to be updated to this century yesterday...

My dad: "what would you like for your birthday? And no you are not getting any Lego" I cant even remember what kind of useless stuff my parents get me every year, I know for sure its not Lego...

My in laws say the same thing... although they DO end up buying me Lego! :laugh: