Erdbeereis

LEGO Star Wars 2014 Pictures and Rumors

they may not know them by name, but I figure an average kid who saw ANH at least recognizes the "cantina band" and their goofy music. my little brothers did anyway.

I agree, but they would probably recognize hammerhead and ponda baba just as well. And it's really no different than the children who can name all those random vehicles and ships that appear for two seconds on screen.

I think kids realize there is a vast array of characters in Star Wars and have the imagination to play with even those that some deem obscure.

Typical of lego, re-releasing sets we've seen multiple times before, with smaller model size and probably higher price points!

We already have about 4 snowspeeders! So why make another one? We already have 3 AT-ATs so why make another one only smaller? We already have 3 B-wings so why make another model of a ship nobody cares about?

Lego's choices seem to stem from a mentality of always rehashing the same models every three years or so. Its dissapointing in 2014 to see nothing that is really 'new' and original and unique! What about the silver royal naboo cruiser? What about a model of the droid factory or geonosian arena? What about focusing on designing completely new scenes or planets? Lego is really taking their time to develop the star wars universe and wasting it with models simply to get a cash grab. Its a pity we can't get past using the same models redesigned over and over.

Well, as others have pointed out, it's because there is a new generation of kids who are just getting into the films now and may not be able to pick up 2010's now extremely expensive AT-AT or the rare Battle of Hoth for the Snowspeeder. Personally, I haven't bought an AT-AT since the 2003 incarnation and a B-Wing since the one in 2000 and I can't wait for this wave. So these new re-releases are of fighters that I care about... and the sets you list are ones that you care about so... to each his own? :sceptic: I'm not sure why you even made the point that "nobody cares about the B-Wing;" it's all opinion.

But, although I don't buy them, I agree that the new prequel waves could have more diversity; it seems that each wave revolves only around one battle (except for Episode I).

With a new sequel trilogy on the way and the end of The Clone Wars cartoon, I suspect less prequel sets will be produced. Both Disney and Lego will want to concentrate on bringing the OT and characters more prominently into the foreground. The prequel era will dwindle and eventually die. I suspect the recent prequel sets will be the last. Disney will want the golden age of the OT to cleanse people's memories of the silly prequel era.

^ Not everyone shares your opinion. Plus, kids (aka Lego's largest consumer base) are huge fans of the prequel era. It won't be going away anytime soon. Diminished due to other new content, yes. But disappearing from Lego's palette entirely? Not likely.

Star Wars: Rebels will become a more important focus for Lego than the prequels, as it will be new and fresh, and will speak to the kids. Rebels is essentially an OT era show. OT sets have always sold better than prequel sets and with the original cast returning, Lego will definitely push the OT even more. A few occasional prequel sets may appear once in a blue moon, but the prequel era is over for all intents and purposes.

Edited by Renegade Clone

Star Wars: Rebels will become a more important focus for Lego than the prequels, as it will be new and fresh, and will speak to the kids. Rebels is essentially an OT era show. OT sets have always sold better than prequel sets and with the original cast returning, Lego will definitely push the OT even more. A few occasional prequel sets may appear once in a blue moon, but the prequel era is over for all intents and purposes.

I agree CW was to PT what Rebels will be to OT, I look forward to the new content and haven't minded the old stuff, I was born midway through OT, however grew up on it but love PT. I like the sets that are coming out midyear, I think a few more set based products as opposed to ships are better also, environments improve SW lego as a whole; between some battle packs and a few larger scale sets we are starting to get some environments which is great for some and not for others. I think the balance is right in this wave on the whole. and with Rebels younger generation is covered for together with the older generation, a win win I feel.

I was 9 when the first prequel was released, I have grown up to enjoy the OT far more, but the prequel sets hold a level of nostalgia to me akin to what the 30 and over crowd have for the OT when comparing them to old Kenner toys. Like many others have said lets remember that lego is made for children, an eight year old of today grew up in a world where all 6 movies already existed, it's all star wars to them.

^ these "kids" who grew up watching the prequel trilogy are now 20+ years old.

Don't forget the kids that just got done watching TCW in the 5-12 year old range. There is a good amount of them that love the PT era.

OT sets have always sold better than prequel sets and with the original cast returning, Lego will definitely push the OT even more.

What sells well is subjective. OT fans buy OT sets, PT and TCW fans buy PT and TCW sets. My 9-yo son owns 23 LEGO SW sets and he only owns 1 PT/EU set, the Imperial Dropship from 2008 that came with the Stormtroopers.

I'm glad that we have more solid information on the upcoming sets. I'm really excited to see and learn more about the Rebels sets.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton

@Obi-wan Kenobi: Yeah, but Wuher is just a regular human without any special characteristics :tongue: He could quite easily be MOC(k)ed :wink:

Thanks Lego freak.

Also,why they put a droid scanner without any droid?

I expect at least one cantina's character will be in a polybag

We're getting Figrin D'an and 2 modal nodes! HOORAY! now i can buy two sets and make an even larger cantina. Those other aliens will drop in eventually later on. But for now i'm thankful for those Bith musicians.

Someone stated that nobody cared for the B-Wing fighter, but i like that ship. Plus we're getting a Y-Wing Pilot. And i believe we don't have him yet.

So here's hoping for a Nien Numb, Prune Face and an Ishi Tib in some sets in the future to complete Home One (not very likely of course)

Well, as others have pointed out, it's because there is a new generation of kids who are just getting into the films now and may not be able to pick up 2010's now extremely expensive AT-AT or the rare Battle of Hoth for the Snowspeeder. Personally, I haven't bought an AT-AT since the 2003 incarnation and a B-Wing since the one in 2000 and I can't wait for this wave. So these new re-releases are of fighters that I care about... and the sets you list are ones that you care about so... to each his own? :sceptic: I'm not sure why you even made the point that "nobody cares about the B-Wing;" it's all opinion.

But, although I don't buy them, I agree that the new prequel waves could have more diversity; it seems that each wave revolves only around one battle (except for Episode I).

I'm sorry I hurt your feelings. The b-wing is a very boring ship that was in return of the jedi for a fraction of a second and I can't see why lego hasn't released ships that have been in movies especially the prequel films for more than a second, for example the silver royal naboo cruiser was a ship used for practically the entire middle of phantom menace. Where is it in lego form? Lego has given a big screw you to prequel trilogy fans and decided not to make one. What about a theed hangar???? Where Darth maul fought obi wan and qui gon? Where is that? See the point I'm making? ;)

Presumably because they do their market research and know what's going to sell?

Remember that a whole new bunch of kids have discovered Star Wars and/or Lego since the last ISD or ATAT came out (ok maybe not since the last snowspeeder).

Remember that Lego is a company first and foremost and has to prioritise making a profit that appeals to theri core audience (kids) rather than provide a bunch of obscure characters and sets that only a few AFOLs are holding out for.

well if that's entirely the case why has lego bothered to make a few obscure characters like poggle the lesser, Coleman Trebor, ree yees, and tarful? Those characters only had a few seconds of screen time and yet here they are in lego form! So your saying lego can't continue releasing interesting and unique places and ships and characters and market them unless they are central or key to the story? I think not.

In summary we know that the Minifigures in the Cantina set are:

- Bith (3x or 2x & Figrin Dann)

- Han Solo

- Luke Skywalker

- Obi-Wan Kenobi

- Stormtrooper

- Greedo (Not Confirmed but Likely)

If the 2+ NEW MINIFIGURES statement on preliminary catalogue was referring to the Cantina set, then I believe that Greedo is 1 new figure and the 3 Biths are the other one as they are all the same/identical. In that case the other 4 figures are not new and/or updated. While Luke, Han and the Stormtrooper have fairly recent designs that would work well with this set, It would be neat to see a double sided face or leg printing on the Obi-Wan figure that we last saw in 2011's Millennium Falcon. People can disagree with me on this but I think it is likely that The LEGO Group won't be releasing a Cantina with 8 new and/or redesigned figures. What does everyone else think?

This cantina set better have greedo in it because the old one is a rare hard to find collectible now that goes for a lot on eBay and we honestly need an update.

Anyone else bought Rieekan for a large sum last year from Bricklink? And now they put him in the advent calendar. :( The Santa trooper sounds interesting though. Hopefully it´ll be a red stormtrooper and not a clone.

Lego has given a big screw you to prequel trilogy fans

You do know that the last two waves were concentrated on Episode 2 and Episode 3, right? Lego isn't screwing people over, Lego is doing market research and tries to find out which sets would sell very well. That you or I would dislike some of these sets and would never buy those isn't an indication of being screwed, but rather that our tastes run contrary to what would sell well.

That being set, I am curious in the AT-AT being smaller. I've been looking in trying to squeeze an AT-AT into a sort of Theta class landing ship, and trying to fit that into a custom Star Destroyer. If the total is less than 25 bricks, I will be very interested :classic:

You do know that the last two waves were concentrated on Episode 2 and Episode 3, right? Lego isn't screwing people over, Lego is doing market research and tries to find out which sets would sell very well. That you or I would dislike some of these sets and would never buy those isn't an indication of being screwed, but rather that our tastes run contrary to what would sell well.

That being set, I am curious in the AT-AT being smaller. I've been looking in trying to squeeze an AT-AT into a sort of Theta class landing ship, and trying to fit that into a custom Star Destroyer. If the total is less than 25 bricks, I will be very interested :classic:

apart from utapau troopers the new waves for episode II and III have given us a rehash of an AT-TE, republic gunship, AT-AP, homing spider droid, corporate alliance tank droid, droid gunship and swamp speeder. Now has any of those models not been released before? I think not. All I'm saying is lego rarely venture into new territory and make something new. I mean we had to wait till now to even get a poggle the lesser mini figure.

I'm disapointed with the B-Wing's line up. The Y-Wing pilot is useless and I don't see the point in another Ten Numb when we still haven't gotten Nien Numb yet.

I assumed this was a typo and he meant B-Wing pilot, but I would personally be delighted with a grey ROTJ Y-Wing pilot with a custom helmet. I would also be very happy if it was a B-Wing pilot with custom headgear. The old Ten Numb is looking really dated, if the new one has a custom molded head then it will be really nice. Airen Cracken as the third figure in this set is very unexpected.

75048 Phantom Looked like the front of a Y-Wing

Well it seems this is the ship we looking for

wolf6.png

Kind of disappointing tbh, isn't that meant to 'dock' with the ghost? Somehow I doubt that's possible with the LEGO versions.

Normally that vehicle goes into the back of the Ghost, which would explain the 'reasonable' price of the Ghost. Had this vehicle been part of the Ghost set, I guess the piece count & price would be higher...

As you can see the vehicle was still called 'wolf' in the production phase, mostly due to Dave Filoni's fascination for these animals...