Review Review: 21103 Back To The Future Time Machine

212 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

So, looks like if I head over to the Lego store after work I'm probably not going to be getting one Aug 1st? Does anyone know if this is the only run of these, or will the stores replenish their stock? I've never bought a Cuusoo set before so I don't know how limited of an item they are.

Well, aside from the Shinkai 6500 they're not "limited" in the usual sense of being limited to a specific number of copies; with the Minecraft set, at least, they've kept doing additional production runs since it keeps selling so well. It appears to me the Hayabusa set has also been kept in production (it's been out more than a year now, and is still available and hasn't been clearanced). Since this isn't being marketed specifically as a limited edition, I believe TLG will do additional production runs if it sells out everywhere as quickly as it appears it will.

That said, it's probably worth noting that if TLG does indeed intend to do something about the error on the flux capacitor element, the initial production run might wind up being the only way to get it with the misspelling, for whatever that's worth (no guarantees, of course, but maybe). Speaking for myself, I will say that as I want multiple copies of the set anyway, I'm hoping to eventually get versions of that printed panel with both the error and the correction. I'm not yet even sure why, but I think I'd like to have them both as optional, alternate parts I might use in some funky MOCs.

really i thought the release date was AUG 1 in all stores. that doesn't seem fair.

i wonder if they will have a stock on them on Aug 1

My store indicated that they would be getting more in next Monday and to try back then. So, technically they will not have any available for the 1st. Which if fine for me, because at least now I know (and don't have to waste the trip), but I can see where other people coming in on the first might be all excited for nothing. Because of all the early stocking reports, I went yesterday, but I guess that wasn't early enough. :laugh:

My store indicated that they would be getting more in next Monday and to try back then. So, technically they will not have any available for the 1st. Which if fine for me, because at least now I know (and don't have to waste the trip), but I can see where other people coming in on the first might be all excited for nothing. Because of all the early stocking reports, I went yesterday, but I guess that wasn't early enough. :laugh:

yea i just came from my local lego store. He told me to check back monday. And that they will not have any for the 1st too.

Here's a "100% Lego-Legal" hood fix for the Cuusoo BTTF Delorean, and you can do it almost entirely using just the parts that come with the set.

cuusoo_back_to_the_future_delorean_hood_fix.jpg

I am surprised that the designers did not opt for this nice simple solution. Perhaps they can issue a "fix-it-kit" like they did for the Shuttle Adventure!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Where did you get that price for New Zealand from? Ahh, I see this was a price temporarily posted on the Lego site, hopefully it comes back at that price, but if it is in fact 69 AUD (which seems high, and I see their page is temporarily gone too) then it will probably be somewhere between 80 - 100nzd

Personally it'll be a tough sell to me at any more than 60NZD.

And here I am to eat my words - it became available today in our region at the $54 (my order has been placed :classic: ).

I posted this over on the first Delorean thread in response to a conversation there, but I'm sure a lot of people will love this idea, including Lego.....

I said:

"It would definitely be a super smart move for Lego to add an "Open Commentary Period", as a two-week window-of-time where they reveal their officially re-designed versions of the Cuusoo winners for a short time, when everyone can express their design quibbles, and point out simple errors like the "sheild" misspelling, and suggest various easy and "Lego-Legal" fixes like this for the DeLorean hood.

For starters, it would be great for PR, getting maximum fan attention and community empowerment during the unveiling process...

Plus it would be great for profits too, since everyone would end up feeling satisfied, the set would be better, and more people would buy it! It would also save them the time and money of issuing a new part or sticker to correct a simple spelling error. And If the "Open Commentary Period" only lasted for two weeks or so, then they wouldn't have to worry about competitors stealing the design... especially considering the fact that the original version had already been openly posted on Cuusoo for years beforehand!!

Who is willing to support such an idea? Can we get someone "in-the-loop" to suggest it directly to the Cuusoo Team?

Or could we start a nice friendly "fan petition"? I am sure they would say yes to the idea..!"

Hey, The Real Indiana Jones, (love that name btw) what about the Shuttle Adventure? What needed to be fixed? Have the set so I'm curious.

Edited by Tolkien

@Tolkien,

Oh, for the Space Shuttle Adventure set, they got a lot of complaints that the big orange fuel tank wasn't quite sturdy enough if you swooshed it around and played with it actively. It is fine for a display model, though. So if you call Customer Support and ask them, they will send you the "fix-it-kit" for free.

Back on topic... So perhaps they can do the same thing for a Cuusoo set, and do a "fix-it-kit" for the Delorean.

Or better yet, they should implement my idea for an "Open Commentary Period" for all of the officially re-designed models of the winning Cuusoo ideas before they totally finalize them, like is suggested a few posts up above. Then they wouldn't have to worry about such things!

It would be a total "win-win" for Lego and the fans!

Edited by The Real Indiana Jones

Here's a "100% Lego-Legal" hood fix for the Cuusoo BTTF Delorean, and you can do it almost entirely using just the parts that come with the set.

I am surprised that the designers did not opt for this nice simple solution. Perhaps they can issue a "fix-it-kit" like they did for the Shuttle Adventure!

Well, I can see a few reasons they might have opted for the solution they used. For one, it leaves some slight gaps in the side underneath the sloped portion, For another, it creates a somewhat awkward two-plate rise above the headlights. And finally, it doesn't create any obvious way to add the center module for the BTTF3 version.

But at the same time, this is a very elegant custom solution. It'd be almost perfect if the sloped portion could be dropped one plate in height, eliminating the two-plate rise in the front and a lot of the gap on the sides, though of course that would require much more intensive modifications. I can't say this mod is necessary because I personally don't mind the stepped hood, but it might be a nice fix for those who aren't happy with the stepped hood and don't want to radically redesign the entire front of the vehicle.

Edited by Aanchir

My local Lego store was out of DeLoreans when I called them around noon today. I'm not sure if they released them before today, but they did say they were getting more in on Monday. They didn't know how many though. Anyone have luck finding one today? How many did they have on the shelf when you got there?

I might just end up buying online and eating the shipping costs since I won't be able to get there until Monday evening, and they might be sold out again at that point.

That is a nice MOD to the hood. The side gap is noticeable, but not too bad. I may end up trying this out with my own model after I get it. It will depend on what I think of the official set in hand before I go modding it.

I ordered two and mine hasn't shipped, my order status is listed as "In Process".

Also it makes no sense to have this thread here and the regular BTTF thread in the Licensed forum.

Mine shipped, but I only got one. Maybe the limit was supposed to be one and they're confused.

That's weird.

I hate this set, but this review is absolutly excellent! VERY complete.

I had no idea that the CUSSOO set was so ugly. From all the fuss I would have thought it was much better.

Thank you for including the CUSSOO version in this review. I think that the TLC version is only slightly worse. -But that doesnt say much anyway...

I managed to get one at the Lego store last night. Honestly, the pictures don't do the set justice. It looks great, and it's a fun little build. Does it look exactly like the BTTF DeLorean? Nope, but not much in Lego looks exactly like the real deal, especially when it's minifigure scale. It's close enough though, and the hood doesn't look too bad either. I kind of expect Lego to look blocky, so I don't mind the stepped hood as much as others do. The minifigures are awesome too.

Finally scored one at the local Lego store. They had several on the shelves and I guess they must have got a shipment today or something. I also noticed it was one-per-household.

Hello,

Wednesday I went to a Lego Store in Lille (France). They just have sets in stock. I bought one, 42 euros, and build it this afternoon.

Excellent set, very pleasant.

I've just one regret: I haven't bought 3 ... to built the 3 versions.

I got mine yesterday and built it last night. It looks pretty good and is very sturdy. I do I like the hood adjustment above better, but It is fun to play with. I do have a gripe though; the figures do not fit into the interior very well. It takes a lot of fidgeting to get them situated in way the doors will close properly and they are not pushing the roof off with their heads. It can even be frustrating and not feel like Lego at all, but some endless chore.