Sign in to follow this  
CorneliusMurdock

MOC: Kiddie Carnival Train!

gallery_8966_235_3881.png

So, I'm finally getting around to posting this. I apologize in advance for the lousy photography. I'm still learning.

This was a project I had in mind for about a year. I did research into Technic-y things, bought some motors and gears, and after some trial and error (lots of error), this was the result.

I brought it to Brickworld Chicago this year and it was nominated for Best Train. It was up against some really spectacular serious trains and didn't win, though.

9193431902_9bc89e3cc3_c.jpg

The train by itself.

9190629483_cfa96a6226_c.jpg

In it's natural habitat, a carnival!

I also have Video of it working on my Flickr!

9190633151_7d6e033a49_c.jpg

It's a popular ride.

9190631063_ffd117770d_c.jpg

Someone you might recognize wishes he were big while playing the Zoltar machine.

9193424110_72db426e83_c.jpg

Aw, man...

9193437926_c733a9b073_c.jpg

Here's the gearing inside. It was suggested that I grease the track after the first public display day at BW. Too much friction had caused the worm gear to eat through the side of the gearbox. Greased, the train ran more smoothly and quietly (it was quite squeaky before).

I hope you enjoyed it.

Great carnival train there Cornelius :sweet: !

Small yet still detailed and cute! Beside the train I especially like the pavement, and I love the mighty Zoltar machine :wub: ! The hobo punk face playing it is no good though, he needs to get a job and cut his hair :tongue: !

Nice train CorneliusMurdock,You have added some nice details to the train carriages and the ground about it. :classic:

However I am not too sure If I like how you have geared the slew of the arm,a simple geared down compilation of gears (once) to the worm gear would probably of been sufficient.

! The hobo punk face playing it is no good though, he needs to get a job and cut his hair :tongue: !

That's nasty.... :look:

Excellent little train! The motor mechanism and arm is quite clever. It got me to thinking, would it be possible to extend the track into an oval or larger radius with more curved pieces and creating a telescoping arm? Or would it just bind up and derail the train? :classic:

Excellent little train! The motor mechanism and arm is quite clever. It got me to thinking, would it be possible to extend the track into an oval or larger radius with more curved pieces and creating a telescoping arm? Or would it just bind up and derail the train? :classic:

I cant see why not,as you say you would need a telescopic arm in which the power is transferred through a differential or one of the new friction less gears which is found in this years new technic mobile crane.

You would also need to make sure there are no tight corners as this would derail the train.

This train is so cute! Great idea and execution. I also like the atmosphere you've created with the scene around the ride.

This is fantastic. Not only the train but also plenty of action that's going on around it. It makes a perfect carnival atmosphere. I like how you made the pavement.

And no need to apologize for the photo quality, it's perfect in my opinion. :wink:

WOW this is an excellent work! :wub:

The Zoltar machine is totally cool! :laugh:

Agree in its natural setting this amazing, really nice work

I usually don't wander into this forum but I this desplay pulled me in! I love it! The setting for the train was great as well.