Sandy

Heroica RPG Rules & FAQ

I thought it was actually an aid to the QM. If the enemy you're targeting is already dead, they don't have to guess as to who the player would want to target next.

I moved the discussion here to Rules & FAQ, where it belongs.

My take is that conditional actions allow for more strategy for the players, but if they don't use them, I as a QM won't do it for them. In that case if their target is dead, they will always move to the next enemy in the list (unless they specifically state otherwise). Sometimes I allow a player that hasn't submitted an action to repeat an attack, if the battle has already been practically won, but usually I'll just make them do nothing or prompt the Party Leader to choose their action for them.

I moved the discussion here to Rules & FAQ, where it belongs.

Whoops. :blush: I didn't mean it to be a debate over whether or not it should be allowed, just how others felt about it (which I felt was more of a GD than Rules).

Does anyone else feel a bit cheap using conditional actions to dance around various scenarios in battle? I mean, I fully recognize their value (and use them a lot myself), but I think it removes a lot of the tension/danger. For example, in #135, committing three of our party members to attacking Pretzel this round would be a lot more risky if we weren't tossing in the conditionals that allow us to essentially re-target midway through the round.

I think conditional actions are a right and appropriate response to non assured effects.

you want characters to be fighting the battle as it is, not the battle as it was 6 or 10 actions ago...

Okay, new question about Marauders... since they're very confusing to me.

So, are they technically targeting two enemies? But with one roll, right? So what if one enemy is lucky, say, or jinxed. What happens then?

So, are they technically targeting two enemies? But with one roll, right? So what if one enemy is lucky, say, or jinxed. What happens then?

Yeah, they target two enemies, but with one roll. I would say that it depends only on the primary target (whoever is targeted first).

Rocks fall, everyone dies. :laugh:

On the one hand, non-Marauder dual-strike ignores Lucky from the secondary target. On the other hand, the Maurader class' whole schtick is high-risk for the high reward, so maybe they should have to roll twice and take the worse roll if either enemy is Lucky (after all, they take damage from the secondary target when normal dual-strike doesn't, so why should they get to ignore the positive effects of the secondary target?).

Yeah, they target two enemies, but with one roll. I would say that it depends only on the primary target (whoever is targeted first).

I understand that for simplicities sake, but find it really cheap. It essentially allows heroes to ignore buffs, especially since they can at will switch their more powerful weapon to their "secondary". I really like the class, but I do feel it has a few bugs that still need working out.

I understand that for simplicities sake, but find it really cheap. It essentially allows heroes to ignore buffs, especially since they can at will switch their more powerful weapon to their "secondary". I really like the class, but I do feel it has a few bugs that still need working out.

I suppose Lucky and Jinxed could stack/cancel eachother out.

When participating in the Fields of Glory, is that considered a single quest?

Yes towards the 15 quest participations required for a second character. No towards the 10 successful quests for the Veteran classes.

Thanks for clearing things up guys. I hope to participate in the Fields of Glory soon, despite my level, with some of the other new characters that signed up for it.

When an enemy is Enamored and Confused, what's the order of operations for the effects? That is to say, does the Enamored outright prevent the attack (which seems a little weird to me), or does the Confused roll happen first, and then if they would otherwise attack the Hero they're Enamored with, they stop attacking?

On a Marauder's SHIELD roll, if they're using a dual-strike weapon instead of a pair of weapons (let's use Hybros and his Twin Kunai as an example), how is their damage calculated? Is it (6+6)*3=36+3+37=76 damage, "combining" the WP of the dual-strike weapon twice, or only 6*3=18+3+37=58 damage, counting the WP of the dual-strike weapon only once?

When an enemy is Enamored and Confused, what's the order of operations for the effects? That is to say, does the Enamored outright prevent the attack (which seems a little weird to me), or does the Confused roll happen first, and then if they would otherwise attack the Hero they're Enamored with, they stop attacking?

On a Marauder's SHIELD roll, if they're using a dual-strike weapon instead of a pair of weapons...

Why would enamored stop the attack or block confusion? :wacko: It only prevents the enamored person from damaging the one who caused it. So of course confused-effect is applied as well!

What comes to marauders wielding dual strike weapons with another weapon, in my opinion it should be banned. They don't have three hands, after all...

What comes to marauders wielding dual strike weapons with another weapon, in my opinion it should be banned. They don't have three hands, after all...

I can check again, but I'm pretty sure the Marauder rules clearly state that they can use a dual-strike weapon instead of a pair of weapons, rather than in addition to. Which makes perfect sense for the class--you can either use a pair of weapons intended for solo use, or one pre-existing pair of weapons designed for dual use, but not both at the same time. :thumbup:

Glad to know I'm not completely insane about the interaction between Confused and Enamored. Makes a future NPC ally's ability work mechanically the way I wanted it to. :thumbup:

QM Note: Well, you'll be able to deal damage to the undead, but the water and fire elements in the blades cancel each other out, so your only doing normal damage. The x2 is not added to the 2 damage everyone receives at the end of every round, as well.

I believe. If this is wrong, someone should correct me shortly. Probably Flipz. :tongue:

OOC: The gem load out for the weapon gives these modifiers.

Ruby X2 beasts X2 Icy X2 Plants No damage Fiery No Damage Rock

Aquamarine X2 Fiery X2 Rock No Damage Aquatic

Garnet X2 Fiery X2 Icey X2 Electric No Damage Rock No Damage Flying

Opal X2 Beast X2 Plants X2 Vermin No Damage Icey

Diamond X2 Undead X2 Demon/Dark No Damage Holy/Luminous

topaz X2 Aquatic X2 Flying X2 Mechanical No Damage Electric

So when you add the multipliers and no damages together you get

Beast X4

Dark X2

Demon X2

Electric X2

Fiery X2

Icy X2

Plant X4

Undead X2

Vermin X2

Mechanical X2

Normal Damage

Humanoid

Aquatic

Flying

No Damage

Holy

Luminous

Rock

So under normal circumstances he would do 4X damage to a Fire and undead type enemy. X2 elemental damage to fiery and X2 elemental damage to undead for the X4 total. Just not sure how the weather conditions effect it.

Weather is pretty simple: whenever an attack includes the boosted element, multiply the damage x2; whenever it includes the inhibited element, divide by /2. Since the Bifrost Blades include both Fire and Ice, you do both (x2/2), effectively canceling out the effect of the weather. In this case, the Bifrost Blades would do 4x damage to the Fiery/Undead enemy, based on its imbued elements.

The only complicated thing about weather is that it will let attacks with the boosted element deal 1x damage to any enemy that would normally be immune (so, in this case, a pure Fire-elemental attack would deal 1x damage); however, this doesn't apply to enemies that absorb an element, and if they have *Immune to [Element]* as an effect rather than as a result of their type, I think they are still immune as well (since the *Immune to [Element]* effect on enemies works like it does on Heroes, as a general rule).

If a hero succeeds in the waking roll for Sleep, do they get to act that round?

If a hero succeeds in the waking roll for Sleep, do they get to act that round?

No, they spend the turn waking up. If they are hastened and wake up on the first turn, they can of course use their second turn.

No, they spend the turn waking up. If they are hastened and wake up on the first turn, they can of course use their second turn.

Then 135 is failed for certain.... :sad:

Can Namyrra survive a hit from Thormanil? That would let her wake up and drop an Incense...though given how much has been outright stolen from the 135 party, I'm not really sure how much of a point there would be to forcing their way forward. :sceptic:

*Runs numbers* Never mind, party was screwed from the word go. Super disappointing, really. :sceptic:

Edited by Flipz

It was Namyrra who was made lucky, not Nerwen. Likely that affects her roll to wake up?

Unfortunately, Lucky only affects actual battle rolls--if it doesn't affect Scroll use, I doubt it'd affect Sleep rolls.

Even if Namyrra does wake up, she's screwed--she'll be instantly KO'd by the demon, Thormanil, and Pretzel (the latter two of whom are both Hastened and Lucky). Absolute utter best case scenario, Pretzel and Thormanil miss four straight attacks, Namyrra takes a Free Hit from the demon and wakes up with very little health, then Pretzel gets two more attacks in which to kill her before she can even act. :sceptic:

If Farfarello uses his free hit against Thormanil before Pretzel's turn, I think that would knock out Pretzel as well because they're soul linked. Then Namyrra would have a chance. Alternatively, Sandy might be planning to have the party wake up in a cage or something. Reasonably common QM/DM move in other games.