Siegfried

Which set should I buy?

I don't have the DS so I can't really tell you about the build or anything. I have seen it on display at a LEGO store, and it's quite a display piece. But I would without a doubt and always recommend Modulars. They're great buildings with some great building techniques. Impressive display pieces, especially if you have more than one. A nod to the days gone by with the classic smiley head.

But I don't think either is going OOP soon so no rush.

Oh really? I was under the impression (from elsewhere on the internet, I don't remember where) that the bout were long overdue being fazed out as compared to how long Lego usually keeps sets around.

Anyway, thanks a lot, seems the general consensus is the Modulars. And I kind of agree, they seem much more fun to build.

I'm just about to come out of my dark ages, and I'm at loss of what to get. Either i get the Death Star during the may fourth promotion (as the star wars fan I am) , or i get the three currently available modular houses. I am probably bound to having to chose between the fire brigade and death star, as I can not afford both probably before they retire. Which am I more likely to regret not getting before it is too late?

You will never go wrong with the modulars, as everyone above me has said. But the Death Star is quite an impressive set in it's own right, it's quite a varied and interesting build despite it's appearance, and it does show the scenes from the Death Star really well. Honestly I don't think anyone is sure of when it is discontinued either, it could be right after May the 4th or in two years, as it does sell pretty well from what I understand. It's a pretty great display piece as well, just make sure you have a somewhat large surface to put it on as a normal bookshelf is a little too shallow.

If you decide to go with the modulars, make sure you get the Fire Brigade first, same thing applies to it as the Death Star, no one knows when it will disappear. The other three should be around until the end of the year and beyond for the Pet Shop and Town Hall.

Diagon Alley

or

Grand Emporium

Choices, choices... I think the figs in DA are tons better than GE, but GE has some awful useful-looking pieces.

Help me out here, mates! :moar:

Grand Emporium. I have seen both up close, and both are fantastic, but the Grand Emporium is amazing. The detail is brilliant.

Help, Im stuck between the Royal joust, Shuttle Expedition, or the VW camper van. Mind you I own all three already and have built two, I just want doubles for collectors value and or parts.

I don't thing you can go wrong with either the X-Wing or Tie Fighter. Both are classic OT ships that everyone knows and loves. The question you have to ask yourself, are you a fan of the Republic or the Empire. Personally, I always want the Rebels to win so I would go with the X-Wing. I mean come on, Luke piloted that ship and destroyed the Death Star.

Now if you're a big LotR fan and favor that over Star Wars, I would save up my money and wait until the LotR sets are released.

Bottom line, you can't lose with whatever decision you make.

£100 is a great x-wing + TIE fighter combo. Just about perfect. And if you buy next Friday from Lego.com or a Lego store, you'll get a free TC14 minifig

Thanks for your help both of you, I forgot about the promo figure, and despite being a big LotR fan I think I'll go for the two Star Wars sets as they're just great.

Well the time has come to buy my first modular set, thanks to my overabundance of credit card points. I'm stuck between either Pet Shop, or Grand Emporium. Either way it will be added to my City, which consists of mostly creator houses with a classic fire department (6571).

What say you?

Edited by BigRedGoat

Logic says grand emporium, as that will go out of sale first. But if you already have a layout with creator houses, I think the pet shop is a better fit. You get two buildings in one set, so more flexibility in placement, and I think the style of building works well with creator houses.

Napoleon53

Get both :tongue:. As much as I love the Modulars, I fell in love with the Diagon Alley set, but I am a huge HP fan. I think the 3 buildings in HP do the source material justice and the figures are really neat too. I currently have the Grand Emporium sealed waiting to be built so I don't know what that is like. If your city consists of many other modulars that will probably fit better, but if you like to MOC your own, I say go for Diagon Alley.

BigRedGoat

I would say Grand Emporium since it will be gone first. I can't say anything about the final product or the build other than from pictures, but I think they both would add something nice to your set-up.

Diagon Alley

or

Grand Emporium

Choices, choices... I think the figs in DA are tons better than GE, but GE has some awful useful-looking pieces.

Help me out here, mates! :moar:

I'm gonna say the boring but in most times, right answer. Grand Emporium. Simply because it's going first. Diagonal Alley is a really great set. While the figs are a bit boring and common(minus the Weasleys and Ollivander) the buildings are great. This would be a tough call if they both came out together...

Thanks, guys! I think both is what I'm gonna have to do. That'll bring my LEGO spending up to almost half a thousand dollars in just January - May. *huh* I think it'll be worth it, though.

Edited by Napoleon53

Hi all!

I am new in collecting lego and I am looking to buy a castle for my knight's army!

The most important for is the building's look!

I dont care about minifigs or other accessories or dragons etc... I just want a realistic big medieval castle!

Which set would you suggest?

Thanks for the help! :classic:

This is the set you should buy imo.

Fenrir

Thanks! :classic:

I checked it and it looks really nice!

I ve already put some of them in my ebay watch list.. hope can score one without paying too much...

Any alternatives??

Edited by Tria

What the title says - what would be your top three picks? I'm stuck on choosing. Thanks!

-James

My personal top three? Fallingwater, Farnsworth House, and though I don't have it yet, the Robie House. Though if your goal is to eventually collect the whole line, I'd recommend getting the John Hancock Center first.

I don't own any of the Architecture sets, but the two that I would actually buy are the Robie House, and Fallingwater. Third place? Maybe a tie between the White House set and the Guggenheim. Honestly, to me the Robie House seems like such an anomaly in this line. It just looks so much better than all of the rest. Part of it has to do with all the pieces, which make for a nice appearance of a brick building. I love me some dark red as well, so there's that.

I think most of the Architecture sets just seem too minimal. While I've seen lots of neat things people have made with as few pieces as possible (micro-scale?), that's not much of a selling point for me when it comes to official sets.

So, do I wait for the Hulk promotion to buy the Quinjet, or do I just go out and buy the Quinjet? Currently, I really just want the Quinjet....

I'd say wait for the promo if you know you're going to get the Quinjet anyway. Even if you don't want the Hulk minifig, you can give or sell it to someone who does want it but can't afford the $50. Just two more weeks!

So, do I wait for the Hulk promotion to buy the Quinjet, or do I just go out and buy the Quinjet? Currently, I really just want the Quinjet....

I would just wait the two weeks for the set and get the Hulk Promo figure.