tn_8450-1.jpg

8450 The mission was released in 1999, and contains 643 pieces. Although it was originally intended as an expansion set for the cybermaster series, it is mostly listed as a Technic set. Being part of the cybermaster, it is also the biggest set by far in the Competition subtheme. It was 60$ on release, and I ended up paying $300 for mine MISB. I have no idea what it's worth, because it's been such a long time since I saw any for sale.

The box

tn_dscn5647.jpg

tn_dscn5648.jpg

tn_dscn5649.jpg

The box is of a theme similar to the 8448 and 8458 sets, with silver/grey and yellow colors. The front shows the main model, and the flip-top lid unveils the disc needed to see the instructions, as well as the features of the plane.

tn_dscn5650.jpg

The weird-looking guy in the upper picture is commander Jack. The boss tells him to get ready for his new, dangerous mission. I'm scared already. It takes me a while to dare to open the box.

tn_dscn5651.jpg

Once opened, the box has a plastic inlay which holds the disc with instructions.

tn_dscn5652.jpg

Here you can see all the brochures and various papers included. Maybe this was the reason for the lack of paper instructions. There is a value coupon, a 1999 service catalog with part numbers, a mindstorms booklet which presents all the sets of the year, and TWO sticker sheets.

tn_dscn5653.jpg

tn_dscn5654.jpg

The instructions

Well, what can I say. The main reason why I got into Technic was to get away from the computer. Then this happens. Not only are the instructions supplied on a compact disc which can only be run on a win98 machine, they are also with tiny, tiny steps just to make you watch the animated menu. 376(!) steps for the main model, and 195 for the alternate. I figured some people may get frustrated(like me) over this, so I've uploaded the whole instruction set to my Brickshelf folder. Additionally, when I was building this set I found a lot of errors in the instructions, misaligned pieces, wrongly oriented connectors and so forth. Even wrong pieces were rendered. Therefore I had to pay extra attention when building this set.

Still, there is a small booklet included which contains axle measures and an introduction to the software.

tn_dscn5655.jpg

tn_dscn5656.jpg

tn_dscn5657.jpg

tn_dscn5658.jpg

The parts

tn_dscn5659.jpg

The parts come in nicely numbered bags from 0-10. Once opened, these parts stand out from the rest of the friction pins, beams, axles and bricks:

tn_dscn5662.jpg

There is a dampened spring included.

tn_dscn5664.jpg

This is a 1 x 11 link in black. Only seen in this set, it fetches 2$.

tn_dscn5669.jpg

A lot of Dark Turqoise parts are seen here, and most of them are also featured in the other CyberMaster and ROBOLAB sets.

tn_dscn5671.jpg

This is a Technic Ball Joint 2 x 7 with 2 Ball Joints, which only comes in this Technic set. It is mostly seen in the Competition range.

tn_dscn5678.jpg

Tubes and flex axles helps forming the lines of the plane, and the 19L axles seen at the far right are unique to this set. If you're looking to buy some, they come at 15$ a piece. Probably one of the rarest parts availible.

Okay, that's it for the parts. Moving on to the build, starting with...

A model: The Mission

The main model has four sub-assemblies which are combined into a big plane. The build starts with the front canopy, which is not a particularly interesting build. The yellow double pins in the back is for connecting it to the rest of the aircraft later. The Technic slope/wing is stickered with some handrests with controls.

tn_dscn5743.jpg

tn_dscn5744.jpg

The canopy is made with axles and connectors. It has some stickered instrument panel in the roof. Two big panels are used to close up the sides.

tn_dscn5745.jpg

tn_dscn5746.jpg

tn_dscn5749.jpg

Now for the main part of the fuselage. The links are used to synchronize the landing gear. The landing gear is powered by a damped spring.

tn_dscn5750.jpg

tn_dscn5751.jpg

tn_dscn5752.jpg

tn_dscn5753.jpg

Next is the mount for the canopy. You can see where the yellow double pins will fit.

tn_dscn5756.jpg

A set of 4 16T gears transfers the drive from the spring driven axle and forwards.

tn_dscn5757.jpg

The yellow thin liftarm with the axle and bush pushes the damped spring so that it expands and turns the two 16T gears.Here is the completed landing gear assembly. The wheels turn against eachother into the hull. The damped spring is nearly invisible when the landing gear is retracted.

tn_dscn5758.jpg

tn_dscn5759.jpg

Some aesthetic details on the main bodyusing flex axles and ribbed hoses improves the models look. The rear wing is made of axle connectors and regular axles.

tn_dscn5760.jpg

Another part finished. The only thing remaining are the wings. The engine rotates freely in a rack which also supports the wing.

tn_dscn5765.jpg

The engine is hidden away behind a panel with a sticker showing the fuel intake and other features.

tn_dscn5766.jpg

The left wing is made the same way.

tn_dscn5767.jpg

This plane has several attachments; a winch, a drill, a bomb dropper and a claw.

tn_dscn5768.jpg

tn_dscn5769.jpg

tn_dscn5773.jpg

The bomb release mechanism works by turning the lever, which returns to its original position with aid of the rubber band.

tn_dscn5774.jpg

tn_dscn5775.jpg

tn_dscn5776.jpg

tn_dscn5777.jpg

Next is the grab arm, drill and winch. The arm makes extensive use of the bionicle pieces to achieve full freedom of movement in all directions. The claw closes by use of 2 rubber bands.

tn_dscn5782.jpg

The drill is a worm gear on an axle driven by a knob.

tn_dscn5783.jpg

The winch is operated by cranking the yellow axle and pin connector, and the rubber band provides stopping power.

tn_dscn5784.jpg

The last thing to be done is combining all the different chassis parts into the finished plane. The finished model is a beauty!

tn_dscn5785.jpg

tn_dscn5786.jpg

tn_dscn5787.jpg

Features

Opening canopy, which fits a technic figure.

tn_dscn5789.jpg

tn_dscn5790.jpg

The wings are synchronized with the landing gear. This plane lands like a harrier.

tn_dscn5791.jpg

tn_dscn5792.jpg

tn_dscn5793.jpg

The different attachments can be mounted on the front of the plane:

Winch

tn_dscn5796.jpg

Dropping bombs

tn_dscn5799.jpg

tn_dscn5822.jpg

tn_dscn5823.jpg

tn_dscn5825.jpg

Drill and claw

tn_dscn5830.jpg

tn_dscn5831.jpg

The claw is capable of lifting the 8209 Future F1, weighing 72 grams.

tn_dscn5833.jpg

Comparison

9394 Jet Plane:

tn_dscn5834.jpg

8855 Prop Plane:

tn_dscn5835.jpg

8480 Space Shuttle:

tn_dscn5836.jpg

B model: Chopper

The chopper in this set consists of two smaller builds, which are combined near the end similar to the main model. We start with the bottom. An axle with two 3L axle and pin connectors runs through the centre.

tn_dscn5684.jpg

The landing wheels are placed, and a rubber band provides suspension.

tn_dscn5685.jpg

The canopy is made of axles and connectors like the main model. Sadly, it does not open.

tn_dscn5686.jpg

First part of the assembly is complete. The yellow Double pin allows it to be attached to the body later.

tn_dscn5687.jpg

The rear base starts with the input axle for the main prop. It has a 12T bevel gear on it.

tn_dscn5688.jpg

Next is the retractable landing gear, driven by a dampened spring.

tn_dscn5689.jpg

A set of cams pushes the spring so that it expands. Here is a pic of the function.

tn_dscn5690.jpg

tn_dscn5691.jpg

As the axle with the cams pushes the spring away, it expands, turning the 4 16T gears.

tn_dscn5692.jpg

tn_dscn5693.jpg

This assembly extends the prop driveshaft, and adds another connecting point for the canopy.

tn_dscn5694.jpg

tn_dscn5695.jpg

The propeller itself is made of axle connectors and flex axles.

tn_dscn5696.jpg

tn_dscn5697.jpg

Now that the rear part of the model is completed, we can join the two pieces.

tn_dscn5699.jpg

tn_dscn5700.jpg

This is a very odd looking chopper. It has wheels in the front, but the claw in the back prohibits it from rolling.

Features

Turning either of the yellow knobs rotates the main propeller.

tn_dscn5701.jpg

tn_dscn5702.jpg

Pushing the dampened spring activates the grabbing arm.

tn_dscn5710.jpg

tn_dscn5711.jpg

The arm is very strong, and was able to lift this 8294 Excavator. It weighs about 1 kg.

tn_dscn5716.jpgtn_dscn5718.jpgtn_dscn5719.jpgtn_dscn5720.jpgtn_dscn5721.jpgtn_dscn5722.jpgtn_dscn5723.jpgtn_dscn5724.jpgtn_dscn5725.jpgtn_dscn5727.jpg

It is minifig compatible, and seats one in the cocpit.

tn_dscn5735.jpg

When he's tired of flying, he can disconnect the cabin, and drive around the area.

tn_dscn5736.jpg

tn_dscn5737.jpg

The buggy has suspension, but no steering.

tn_dscn5739.jpg

tn_dscn5740.jpg

Comparison

8068 Rescue Helicopter:

tn_dscn5741.jpg

8412 Nighthawk:

tn_dscn5742.jpg

Conclusion

As strange as it may look and function, this is my new favourite plane. It's swooshable, even by a kid's standards, and the various attachments makes for a nice selection of playing scenarios. A big bonus is that the landing gear works by a push of a button. The ability to seat a Technic minifig is always nice to see, and the attachments are a nice touch. I know this is suppose to fit in with the Cybermaster sets, but since I don't have any I'll just have to compare this to the other planes I have.

I'm a bit puzzled by the bomb dropping feature, since Lego toys are almost never violent, except when it fits the certain theme.

From a innovating perspective, the building is also an interesting one, making separate assemblies and combining them in the end. This is fairly common nowadays, but when this set came out, it wasn't. Too bad I can't say the same about the instructions.

For the alternate model, it could have been its own set. Diving in and grabbing something with the claw is great fun, especially since it is able to lift something big.

Comparing the looks to other Technic planes, this is definately one of the better looking of the bunch. Overall, it stands nicely out in my collection with the black/green/yellow color scheme. The functions aren't all that special, but the tilting rotors are better executed than the 8434 Aircraft. Overall you can say that these two sets are pretty much alike, but this one is better. Get it if you can. You wont regret it.

Hope you enjoyed the read. As always, source pics are here. The instructions can also be found there. Look in the "misc" folder, you will find the pics and a PDF for the booklet and one for the instructions.

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

Black 19L flex axles. :devil:

Nice review. I've been trying to pick up this set for awhile. They just get too expensive on Ebay.

Just for further info, I've found all the Lego CD's run perfectly fine under Windows 7's free virtual WinXP. I've just tested the 8299 one this week.

And, yes, what a bitchin' set.

Nice review. It's got some interesting techniques (well, for its time), like the cockpit construction and landing gear, but without the robotics of the main Cybermaster set (8482), the whole 'build on a PC' thing seems silly.

Considering the absence of a fig, this would be a kick in the guts:

tn_dscn5655.jpg

Also, I noticed some funky photo editing in your review that looks damn time-consuming. GIMP is a free photo-editor, and I believe old versions of Adobe products can be downloaded here: http://www.adobe.com...oads/index.html. Both of those should allow you to adjust levels and clear up your background more easily.

Nice review as always!

This is one of those almost mythical sets, that popped up during my dark ages, so it's nice to see some detailed photos of it's inner workings! :classic:

Thanks for the review. Again some memories brought back. This one I designed together with Uwe Wabra. I can't remember the B-model though, I must have blocked that from my memory :classic:. This set was meant to work together with the cybermaster set so we had to incorporate a certain set of pieces to make some bigger cybermaster thingy. By the time we finished the plane we found out that we almost hadn't used any of the pieces. That's where the strange contraptions that could be mounted on the cockpit come from.

The set actually has two more 'features' (I remember one of the marketing guys complaining that we had added so many customizations to this model that it couldn't be displayed on the box anymore).

First of all you can dismount the wings and cockpit and recombine them to a small plane by sticking the wings in the holders for the contraptions

Secondly the rearwings could be taken apart and turned into a hangglider frame where you could attach the wings to and hang the technic figure from.

So many thanks again for the review.

Looks like this came from a somewhat transitional era in Technic history, perhaps? The combination of studded Technic bricks with studless beams is something I wasn't expecting to see. I skipped over that part of Technic's history, asssuming it existed much beyond this set. When I stopped buying technic sets, studded construction was the only game in town. By the time I returned to it, studless construction had taken over to the point where I'm actually suprised (and a little nostalgic) if I find a studded Technic Brick in a set I'm building.

Personally I'd like to see the two styles combined more, but as long as good sets are coming out, who am I to complain?

Anyone knows where I can find building instructions for this set? I know the original was a CD, but I recall seeing a link to a movie that someone 'captured' from the CD.

I remember seeing that as well, I think on YouTube, but I can't find it at the moment. Let us know if you find it. It is pretty important because even if you have the CD (which I do), it won't run on any modern computers.

Edit: Found it!

One of them sold for about US $100 two weeks ago on eBay ... such a pity ...

Thanks SR71 for finding that movie. I did an LXF based on it. Since not all parts are available in LDD (e.g. panels, 9L link and pneumatic shock), I used some 'alternates'. Feel free to download/update/improve. Would be nice if a POV is made as I do not recall one exists. Here is what is missing/incomplete:

1. No panel fairings (not available in LDD)

2. Pneumatic shock replaced by stacked 2x2 clear round bricks

3. Flex axles 12M and 19M not bent, as LDD won't allow that.

4. Attachments not done (not in movie) - Two done, third not as there are no bionicle parts in LDD.

LXF File: http://www.brickshel...ry.cgi?f=536161

Edited by DrJB

LXF file has now been updated with two of the plane's attachments (winch + bomb dropper). Which reminds me: I thought TLG did not do anything related/suggestive of military/guns/ ... etc. Would this be one of those exceptions?

Indiana Jones, and many other sets. Lego has even made a Tommy gun piece. I'm really not sure why it shows it with a scout, although it is listed as so. :/

Great review!

I was always wondering what this set was all about. Thank you for all the pictures and explanation!

The only thing i'm stil wondering is whether there is anything else on the CD apart from the building instructions?

Anyone knows where I can find building instructions for this set?

I made screenshots and sent them to brickfactory.info, you can download them from there.

I made screenshots and sent them to brickfactory.info, you can download them from there.

Thanks, but that request is 'old', and the scans on brickfactory are of a printed manual, not the actual building instructions. Since then, SR71 found the movie, and I made an LXF file out of it. The LXF should be fairly easy to step through.

Thanks, but that request is 'old', and the scans on brickfactory are of a printed manual, not the actual building instructions.

That's not correct.

8450 is listed twice at brickfactory.info.

The first entry consists of 571 images. The first pages are the printed manual, you can find the complete building instructions, starting with image #6.

The second entry consists of 32 images and shows the printed manual in different languages.

You're absolutely correct. I must have missed it the first time and did not realize there were two entries. Great job that you've done, and it has the attachments and B-model as well. Now one question remains: You know where one can find instructions for the model displayed above (from bricklink) ? It uses the CyberMaster scout and looks very similar to the A-model .... unless it's an idea that never 'took-of'.

Sorry, I don't know. My 8450 is still sealed in it's original polybags, so I did not even realize that the built model is different from model shown at the picture.

To do this model, using the Cybermaster Unit, you can find the building instructions on the CD (I have it and it's me who did the building instructions video on dailymotion :wink: ), you have to "explore" the CD, and find all the .mov video files beginning by "C2p_" in "shared/build/".

I have not include those steps in the video, and I have no time to do it now, but if you have not the CD, you can give me your email adress and I can send you the .mov files :classic:

Edited by tony_st170

Can you let me know what technique you used to capture the screen shots for the plane instructions? When the Lego software is running, it seems to take over my computer and any attempt to use screen capture tools fail. I have the cybermaster set in addition to 8450 and would like to capture the instructions for the ATV model (as I believe it is called - Lego don't appear to have named it) and post them on brickfactory.info and/or peeron.