You would have too much yellow then. Yellow chassis parts would be very unrealistic.

Nonsense

1178249382yQ72c6.jpg

What's with all the blue connectors? Looks daft to me.

Pins are colourcoded by function as I'm sure you know :wink:

What's with all the blue connectors? Looks daft to me.

That's what many of us have said, Blakbird invented the prase "colour vomit" to describe the out of place use of colour. Not sure if he meant to include pins in that but I do!

Nonsense

1178249382yQ72c6.jpg

If you are going to post a picture to show that more yellow would not be unrealistic, try using a picture that has more yellow in it! :laugh:

Edited by allanp

If you are going to post a picture to show that more yellow would not be unrealistic, try using a picture that has more yellow in it! :laugh:

Should that be less yellow?

There's the 8264 Hauler wheels on that real one. :classic:

Mine will end up having a little more yellow than the final version likely, and more LBG and DBG in place of most of the black on the chassis. I like it as is for the most part though.

That's what many of us have said, Blakbird invented the prase "colour vomit" to describe the out of place use of colour. Not sure if he meant to include pins in that but I do!

Just what I was going too say :)

With yellow, it could be even better IMO.

The chassis lacks yellow a lot.

You would have too much yellow then. Yellow chassis parts would be very unrealistic.

Just what I was going too say :)

Anio was talking about yellow wheel hubs, not the chassis in general. 1974 showed a picture of a crane with yellow hubs, which was the point.

Edited by Pauger

Hmm, all the commentary on not enough yellow got me thinking: What if the crane had a different color scheme?

Maybe like some of these ones:

The Sarens blue livery:

6270553890_fc575f0d92.jpg

The Baldwins blue and white livery:

1328684706_ltm-1200-5.1---baldwins--full-size-but-small.jpg

The James Jack green livery:

2508691563_716a114abd.jpg

The Dekker Werkendam? white, gray and green livery:

TerexDemagAC200-1009.jpg

The Terex white and gray livery:

106323692-260x260-0-0_nzg+terex+demag+ac+200+mobile+crane+version+by+nzg.jpg

Or, how about my personal favorite :wub: , the Mammoet black and red livery:

6149900437_8fbd54c925_z.jpg

Or another brilliant one, the Gastel-Herkules black livery:

006%2006%20IMG_5261.jpg

The crane's current color scheme is very reminiscent of the factory Liebherr livery, but I think we can do better, like some of the schemes shown above.

Or what about something a bit more strange, like teal, or purple and white, or lime green? I'm sorry, but I'm a bit tired of the yellow and red vehicles, so let's do something different :devil: .

I would think, like that one big Bionicle set of a few years back, Lego could do a different color scheme as a store exclusive. C'mon, make it happen..

Well, the problem is, many of those colors don't exist for many real Lego Technic parts. If one just wanted to make a VIRTUAL model, one could "paint" it whatever color you wanted. Or, one could SPRAY PAINT *oh2* the offending parts....

You missed one....

*yoink*

Look at that picture, than look at the Sarens crane, than look at that picture again. For my intents and purposes, they were too similar.

Well, the problem is, many of those colors don't exist for many real Lego Technic parts. If one just wanted to make a VIRTUAL model, one could "paint" it whatever color you wanted. Or, one could SPRAY PAINT *oh2* the offending parts....

Actually, the only cranes not buildable in real life are the Sarens crane. (3x11 curved panels not available in blue, same for 5x11.) and the James Jack crane. (no parts available in that shade of green.) Everything else would be fairly easy to do, but you'd have to do some serious modifications to 42009 to get it in Baldwins livery, as I'm sure Jennifer Clark will do when and if she gets it.

Edited by Saberwing40k

Pins are colourcoded by function as I'm sure you know :wink:

Ugh.

I've got sets with blue connectors, but then the model is mainly blue too. What's wrong with black for friction and greyish for non-friction?

480612_599475713402076_129833206_n.jpg

Theres a site on FB called Heavy Cranes, you can get a good idea. I,m with a few that TLG modeled the 42009 after a Liebherr , not this monster though, but it would have been a fun build, LOL. I guess I buy enough of them I can build this one.

Dan

Edited by skylinedan

6558.gif+ What-Makes-a-Sharpie-a-Sharpie-037-300x192.jpg= 6558.gif:classic:

or buy them in bulk from Bricklink.

just checked, and surprisingly expensive!

If only we could have the old gray scale standard parts with the awesome modern models. :classic:

Edited by Matt The Tuba Guy

I think it kinda has to be yellow (still hate the crane BTW :tongue: ) because that's what most kids instantly recognize as being a crane, although the others mentioned would be better after so many yellow sets.

I think it kinda has to be yellow (still hate the crane BTW :tongue: ) because that's what most kids instantly recognize as being a crane, although the others mentioned would be better after so many yellow sets.

Yes and me too :)

I've been travelling for the last few weeks, so haven't really been keeping up with developments. I made it to Lego World Copenhagen on Thursday, which was awesome in a great many ways. One of which was that they had all of the 2h 2013 sets on display in glass cabinets.

I think some of the reverse engineers might be interested in the underside shots that I took. Apologies for the reflections.

under1.jpg

under2.jpg

under3.jpg

I do have higher resolution versions of these, but am on very restricted internet at the moment.

Also found a pic of 42009 from another angle

42009-1.jpg

Is it me or does that yellow 5x11 panel on the engine look a little crooked?

Edited by Rishab N