CM4Sci

2013 Galaxy Squad

The GS theme needs a Bug Battle Pack.

Yeah, this would have definitely been a good theme for a battlepack, in the same-vein as the Castle battlepack from this year. Two squad members and two bugs. Doubt it would have happened (minifigure distribution is key on selling sets) and since I think the theme is done, I think we'll never see it.

Mini-Mech is being given away on S@H, for Australia it's with orders over $100. Gonna place a couple of orders...

Yeah, this would have definitely been a good theme for a battlepack, in the same-vein as the Castle battlepack from this year. Two squad members and two bugs. Doubt it would have happened (minifigure distribution is key on selling sets) and since I think the theme is done, I think we'll never see it.

I think it will depend on if they have overproduced any GS Minifigs. Don't they often use the in house theme "battle packs" to sort of blow out Minifigs that they have more of than they expect they will need? That's why they often show up later in a series or theme? So you never know. We may see something.

Why does everyone think this theme is over?

Why does everyone think this theme is over?

It's just the normal patern for a non media tie in Space or Adventure sub theme. They usually block these as either a 1 and done, more commonly a 2 release sub theme, or extremely rarely a 3 wave sub theme. This has all of the feel of a 2 waver. Atlantis got an extra wave, but it was an early attempt at a meda tie in type theme. Mars Mission got a small 3rd, but I don't think it did great with the third. As that was the start of modern Space they seem to have learned. I think everything after MM in Space was 2 waves? (AC was meant to have 2 waves. It was cancelled at the last minute because they ran out of retail room when they got TMNT or a similar license). Normally the last wave culminates with a nice top end set. Like City of Atlantis or SO3's Space Police Central. The Galactic Titan looks to be the large finale over here.

It's just the normal patern for a non media tie in Space or Adventure sub theme. They usually block these as either a 1 and done, more commonly a 2 release sub theme, or extremely rarely a 3 wave sub theme. This has all of the feel of a 2 waver. Atlantis got an extra wave, but it was an early attempt at a meda tie in type theme. Mars Mission got a small 3rd, but I don't think it did great with the third. As that was the start of modern Space they seem to have learned. I think everything after MM in Space was 2 waves? (AC was meant to have 2 waves. It was cancelled at the last minute because they ran out of retail room when they got TMNT or a similar license). Normally the last wave culminates with a nice top end set. Like City of Atlantis or SO3's Space Police Central. The Galactic Titan looks to be the large finale over here.

Well, that's too bad if that is the case. I really like the Galaxy Squad theme. I know many people will disagre with me, but I find it more interesting then some of the other space themes. The vehicles/spacecrafts look more detailed and interesting then past space themes, IMO. Even the mini-figs look more detailed. no offense to any Chima or Ninjago fans, but I like this theme better. It has a lot of possibilities if they continued to develop it. But apparenly that isnt going to happen. :(

Well, that's too bad if that is the case. I really like the Galaxy Squad theme. I know many people will disagre with me, but I find it more interesting then some of the other space themes. The vehicles/spacecrafts look more detailed and interesting then past space themes, IMO. Even the mini-figs look more detailed. no offense to any Chima or Ninjago fans, but I like this theme better. It has a lot of possibilities if they continued to develop it. But apparenly that isnt going to happen. :(

Don't confuse the Sub Theme of "Galaxy Squad" with the overall theme of Space. GS may only be 2 waves, but Space goes on and carried forward with it much of what was likable in GS. Heck much of the GS human designs actually sprang from the concept work for that second wave of Alien Conquest. And so it will go with whatever comes next.

Personally I have liked GS's designs, although I am still not crazy about the color pallets. I think they would have been better going with a more linked color scheme for the squad. They broke up he color cohesion, and then didn't really go far enough and take the story into a more classic Sentai team ala Ninjago or Voltron, etc. they actually seem to have made the same mistake with Chima. Too many factions without enough focus on the core. Ninjago worked because it was a small team Sentai story. But you can't really mix that with an epic army or war setting.

Edited by Faefrost

Don't confuse the Sub Theme of "Galaxy Squad" with the overall theme of Space. GS may only be 2 waves, but Space goes on and carried forward with it much of what was likable in GS. Heck much of the GS human designs actually sprang from the concept work for that second wave of Alien Conquest. And so it will go with whatever comes next.

Personally I have liked GS's designs, although I am still not crazy about the color pallets. I think they would have been better going with a more linked color scheme for the squad. They broke up he color cohesion, and then didn't really go far enough and take the story into a more classic Sentai team ala Ninjago or Voltron, etc. they actually seem to have made the same mistake with Chima. Too many factions without enough focus on the core. Ninjago worked because it was a small team Sentai story. But you can't really mix that with an epic army or war setting.

Yeh, you're right. I'm sure there will alway be a space them. . And what you said about the colors...very good point. Another thing is it is not marketed or hyped neary as much as Chima and Nijago. They had a chance to make it alot better. It has alot of potential. When I first saw it, I thought, "Lego Starship Troopers"... lol.... and thought they were drawing inspiration from that, but don't think so.

Edited by Haldiron

I'd really like to see some more GS sets, they are my favorite among most of what TLC is selling these days. The colors were a refreshing change and a nice nod to the old classic space, although they didn't use the same colors. I wish they would stick with a theme for a while. :(

Introducing more squad colours and having the squad face a different foe would refresh it enough. Blacktron III perhaps. With the ~Blacktron guys having a mix of humanoid, cyborg, mech and alien minifigs. A proper rough and ragtag team.

Bring in flame yellowish orange, dark purple and white GS team members with different skills. Give some of them beefed up space suits like the Galaxy Patrol CMF. Bigger weapons and an HQ.

I really, really don't want Galaxy Squad to end. I don't like the bugs or their vehicles but the squad themselves are the best space team since Futuron. Just one more year of it. Two more waves. Galaxy Squad vs Blacktron III. It'd be awesome! :wub:

The last time a space theme had human bad guys was 20 years ago... something like Blacktron III is probably not going to happen. TLG tends to avoid human vs human combat, they will use aliens as the antagonists as much as possible. The best they'd give us would be like the 2 collectible minifigs that have Blacktron insignia or design - robots or cyborgs.

I don't know about anyone else bt from where I'm standing having humans versus aliens could look a lot like species-ism and xenophobia. Humans versus robot, cyborg and other human space pirates is more palatable. Besides if Lego are willing to put out a theme where humans battle the undead then I can't see where the problem is. Especially as Space is a fantasy theme in essence.

I do take your point that the model has been humans versus aliens for a while but 2009 gave us Rench in SP3. CMF has given us Space Villain in 2011 and Evil Mech this year. All sporting Blacktron insignias. Clearly there is love for Blacktron. And lets not forget that 2008/9 gave us Agents. Humans versus humans, cyborgs and robots. Not space but definitely Sci-Fi.

I'm not going to bang on endlessly but I do think Blacktron or something incredibly similar with a twist of Dr. Inferno's gang from Agents would make a great foe for the GS team. Robot on robot battles. Mech versus mech. Way more exciting than puke green bugs.

I would like to see them mix it up a bit and have homogenized teams fighting each other (if it has to be a conflict-based theme) with humans and aliens on one side fighting humans and aliens on the other.

Obviously I would love to see Blacktron make a triumphant return. It would be cool if the Buggoid invasion was spurred by Blacktron agents behind the scenes in order to weaken the Galaxy Squad's defenses. Then we see a return of the SP3 bad guys in conjunction with more "traditional" looking Blacktron baddies...

And then, a huge multi-planetary campaign where the Galaxy Squad repeatedly crushes Blacktron in a series of humiliating defeats. :tongue:

Would it be too much to ask for a freakin GS base, or better yet, modular bases for each unit that can then connect for a big awsome base? With no mention of GS continuing, it looks like this could be MOC territory. :sadnew:

And then, a huge multi-planetary campaign where the Galaxy Squad repeatedly crushes Blacktron in a series of humiliating defeats. :tongue:

Would it be too much to ask for a freakin GS base, or better yet, modular bases for each unit that can then connect for a big awsome base? With no mention of GS continuing, it looks like this could be MOC territory. :sadnew:

Very fun MOC territory, mind you.

Ok, so after looking at all my old classic space and Futuron figures lined up on a crater baseplate I looked at my GS squad of four Billy Starbeams and Two red robots and decided to swell the ranks. Currently I have:

5 Billy Starbeam

2 red robot

5 Jack Fireblade

2 Chuck Stonebreaker

1 Solomon Blaze

1 Max Solarflare

1 Blue robot

I'll equalise the numbers of the green and blue teams at some point and get the orange robot but Chuck will possibly end up without his robot as the head really unsettles me for some reason. Perhaps I'll use a different head and paint it. Sacrilege I know but I really, really don't like the head they gave the green robot.

I don't have any of the vehicles and no green bugs or their vehicles but have got one red Buggoid with plans to add a few more. I've also bought the GS sticker sheets and will at some point build these guys a big splitting ship of some description.

I'll also get the head of Ashlee Starstrider so I have one of every squad member complete.

I've gone a bit crazy on space figures this month. I bought a load of CMF space farers and tons of parts for a big spaceship build. I need to get some bright green and dark azure parts but that'll have to wait for now. I'm out of spare cash and still haven't come up with a decent design for the GS ship. While I'm working on the ship for my Blacktron gang I'll try things out with that which I can use for the GS ship, like the splitting/docking mechanism and landing gear that retracts.

It's all new territory for me. I've always loved Space Lego but some reason always concentrated on town/city and historical themes. It's goint to take me a good while to build these ships so I shall bow out of this discussion and not return unless by a miracle a third wave is announced.

Long live Billy Starbeam and may Solomon Blaze be forever plagued with flies in his soup. :thumbup:

Heh. I'm really going to go crazy with space this month. I'm almost done saving up for my big purchase of all GS sets.

For serious, the Red Team doesn't even have any kind of a proper set yet. There must be more waves coming, right? And more little fighters like the Swarm Interceptor. Sigh.

I have to say that I've changed my opinion a bit on Galaxy Squad. I thought the human vs bug thing was a little cornie, and kind of overdone in the sci fi realm. However, I recently purchased and built the swarm interceptor and warp stinger with my stepson, and I have to say they look a lot better in person than I thought they did on the box. We had a blast building them, and there are regular human vs bug battles in our living room now. His creativity never ceases to amaze me... he came up with this elaborate story where the bugs are capturing humans in those purple pods, which turn the humans into bugs. I walked into the room and he had the bugoid heads on the human minifigs, they were his captured army of half human/half bug slaves :laugh:

If they do intend on making GS a 2 wave theme, I still hope the next space theme is non-conflict oriented. I think it would be cool if had humans working alongside other many other species of aliens and robots, exploring the stars, establishing remote planetary bases, etc.

Kid's don't want that. Good vs. evil drives the LEGO play themes. Older fans may not like it, but it's not too likely to change, I'm afraid.

I would be happy with just a large exclusive set that's a throwback to the old classic space theme. A moon base with some sort of ship, maybe use the same color scheme (trans yellow/green, gray and blue bricks, etc) but with updated building techniques. Sets like the Medieval Market Village are non-combat oriented and sold very well.

This may be (hopefully is) premature, but any idea when we would see rumors/promo materials for either a new Galaxy Squad wave or a new Space theme?

This may be (hopefully is) premature, but any idea when we would see rumors/promo materials for either a new Galaxy Squad wave or a new Space theme?

We would here about it from people who have seen the retail catalog, and promos would be in the LEGO Club magazine first. To be honest, I doubt we'll get a third wave/second year of Galaxy Squad stuff. And, I doubt we'll see a new Space theme in 2014 as we'll most likely get space stuff in The LEGO Movie theme.

Of course, this is all speculation on my part. :classic:

Edited by just2good

Yeah. I fear the Lego Movie stuff is going to take the role of or supersede any new Space or Action based themes for the year.

We would here about it from people who have seen the retail catalog, and promos would be in the LEGO Club magazine first. To be honest, I doubt we'll get a third wave/second year of Galaxy Squad stuff. And, I doubt we'll see a new Space theme in 2014 as we'll most likely get space stuff in The LEGO Movie theme.

Yeah. I fear the Lego Movie stuff is going to take the role of or supersede any new Space or Action based themes for the year.

That's a good point about the movie stuff. On the one hand, I'm excited to think that the little blue spaceman in the trailer will be showing up in sets this year; on the other, I'm worried that next year will be nothing but licensed themes and massive media events (Chima, Lego movie, Ninjago's return...). Sigh.