morris

European or American, who is the better builder?

lego started off as an European product, but over the years the US has taken over the market both in lego production and consumption.

Now, who do you think, European or American, is the best builder of LEGO?

lego started off as an European product, but over the years the US has taken over the market both in lego production and consumption.

Now, who do you think, European or American, is the best builder of LEGO?

You know how us Americans are. We take great things from other countries and say their our own. So with that in mind, Americans are the best builders of Lego :-P .

(j/k i don't really care, i like to see great mocs from anybody)

neither, NEW ZEALAND ALL THE WAY :-P

LOL! :-D

You know how us Americans are. We take great things from other countries and say their our own.

Like for L'or

Any one is the greatest builder if they use thir fantasy and have a great time

Lego is not about where someone is from, but about haveing a nice time ;-)

what makes you think that? Europe takes 60% of Lego's market! the company still is European! yes, you touched a very sensitive element here :-P

I agree with the comment regarding the power of imagination is not dependent on the country you come from. I've always liked Lego in terms of the Classic Castle, Train, and City themes with their strong European influence. At the same time, I wouldn't necessarily say that Lego has gotten away from European design, but rather they have captured a more modern deign (European and American). The age of sets like Town Square (1592) is gone. The new look is the modern city. Not to compare Lego with Playmobil, but Playmobil city sets are now "Modern Living". They seem to have underwent the same migration.

1592-1.jpg

Themes like Batman and Spiderman are more American, but Harry Potter and the new Cargo Train remains European. I think Lego will continue to pursue whatever sells; and unfortunately, I don't think "old-world European" town/city will be it (except for maybe with Castle).

I think the real question is do you like Lego Old World or New World designs rather than European vs. American.

Welcome to Eurobricks evilandy. And yes, I concur. Us Canucks are quite the Bear Riders. Just like those dudes from Eragon. I ride a white bear, Grrarrhr.

I say that Canadians are the best builders, because we have pulled off some amazing building feats. CN Tower, Skydome[first rolling roof] Expo building in Montreal. And also our exorbitant prices allow us to be more selective with our buys, thus allowing for a more basic, and yet reminiscent, build.

Okay, I just like Canada. And we have a lot more building experience, what with building igloos and all.

And Brickster, I just love the fact they once made a Medieval Times set.

I'd say its a healthy mix. Honestly, there are alot of builders on both sides of the pond that I would consider great builders. Conversely, I would hardly say that every European or American builder is a master. I know I'm not (but then again, I'm Canadian). In the end, LEGO is all about having fun. Where you come from has nothing to do with that.

Later *yoda* .

I'd say Japanese

my impression is that there isnt much of a Lego market there, making the majority of Japanese builders dedicated afols. Combine that with otaku type personalities and you've got some crazy builders.

No offense to all you wonderful European builders, but I beleive Americans are the better builders.

Oh yeah? well I'm American and I just said earlier that the Japanese were better.

How about...

someone posts hat they see as being examples of the "Best" builds from Europe, American and hell, throw in Japan (sorry, should that be "Nage" in Japan X-D )

We'll judge (or at least debate) what we think is best.

Am I the only one who fails to see the point of this thread? There is no such thing as a 'best builder', it depends on whatever you like. Someone who builds great Bionicle MOCs will never be the best builder to me since I don't like Bionicle. I like space better, but I'm sure there are people who completely disagree and think Bionicle is better.

And comparing Europe and America is also useless since each of them has good builders (although that also depends on what you like).

I have to agree though that Japanese builders usually build great mechs, but that's something you have to like as well. I do, but I'm sure there are others that don't.

No offense to all you wonderful European builders, but I beleive Americans are the better builders.

That comment shows that you don't understand. How do you even know if the builder is European or American? Such comments are pointless and solely intended to provoke reactions from other members. Especially since you don't give any reasons why Americans are better. So, give us some reasons, I'm interested what makes Americans better.

Just my European 2 cents :-)

I think it's impossible to say as there are generally more American builders than European builders, so the proportions and statistics will be biased. Also, how could you measure it? There are so many different themes and building types that it would be too varied.

Aiee, I don't know how i missed this thread earlier, but as soon as I saw it, I knew this wouldn't end well.

As far as I know, talent for putting bricks together doesn't stop at a border, this'll end up turning into some sort of national pride flame war :-|

That being said, people from New York are clearly the best builders *runs*

Kikuichimonji, thank you for bringing some reason to the subject.

There are great builders all around the globe. To make such chauvinistic generalizations about builders of any region does nobody justice. LEGO shouldn't be competitive, nor should we be making sweeping statements about the work of others. If you appreciate a certain builder (or group of builders), that's wonderful. Still, it is only an opinion. I have seen too many wonderful MOCs from a wide variety of regions to take this thread seriously.

Again, thank you Kikuichimonji. You have summed up nicely my thoughts and opinions on this rather silly debate.

Any one is the greatest builder if they use thir fantasy and have a great time

Lego is not about where someone is from, but about haveing a nice time ;-)

Ill just qoute myself he he Being best is not importent with Lego

Doesn't really matter as long as you have fun. I personally am not fond of those who build to impress. Their are varying degrees of of what is considered a "good MOC". Plus, everyone has a different style, so its not as if all Americans build the same and all Europeans build the same ;-)

-l2k-