just2good

Legends of Chima 2013

Dude, Comic Sans?

I like it! Actually, I have trouble finding the normal font after I copy something (I copyed the names and numbers) - so I went with Comic Sans. :wink:

It occured to me (has this been mentioned before?) that (suggested by the large gap between some of the numbers) some of these might be more April-ish releases?

I am impressed. I see where they are going and I don't know if this will be on the same level as Ninjago, since the 4 Ninjas were really easy to identify with for little boys, but still I can see TLC doing their job and trying to do it good.

The flying Eagle, that's a set I am really falling in love with. It just looks awesome and has this special something that you want to put it on display. A bit like the Stealth Hunter from EF, just an eye catcher on your shelf. And seriously, the croc boat is one of the sickest things I've ever seen from TLC. Mental and amazing. I hope their marketing is good and I hope the story doesn't disappoint and gives an opportunity to identify with the characters, cause I see potential for several years here!

There has to be a cartoon series to go with this theme. That's the best PR for any toy. And LEGO know this hence the Ninjago series. You have to burn something like this into the minds of kids. But it has it all anyway, catchy character names, various factions, weapons, monster vehicles, swooshable vehicles and tons of play features built in. Plus the rip cord bikes are pocket money price range which provides entry level. Then the larger sets fit the birthday/christmas present criteria. There's no way this can fail for LEGO. And knowing the way kids like to mix and match toys the Ninja Turtles theme is a shoe in the doorway too. Mutant animals FTW!

It occured to me, while looking at the pictures of the larger eagle vehicle (the one on treads), maybe (like the Ninjago Ultra Sonic Raider), the top lifts off (which would make sense since the wings open). If so, it just went up to the top of my Chima favorites. . .

I'm liking these spinners better than NinjaGo, and the factions have cool vehicles. The figs could be better, but hey, whatever.

Here's a Raven minifigure up for auction. The wing attachment is pretty weak IMO but I guess that's something they can improve on if there's a second wave of sets.

Edited by Jargo

I don't know, I like it. It allows for a lot of customization. :thumbup: I also like how they used a regular minifig head with a mask instead of one molded head to allow for different facial expressions.

Oh my. The sets look quite weird but awesome. The pieces and colors seem great. I might get some but I dunno.

I don't know, I like it. It allows for a lot of customization. :thumbup: I also like how they used a regular minifig head with a mask instead of one molded head to allow for different facial expressions.

Oh I meant in terms of playability. It looks like the wings will just pop off and become irritatingly loose.

I also like the dual expression head under the mask. Although this sample seems to be a factory reject due to misalignment of printing it looks like there's going to be some excellent print work on the minifigs.

For Bionicle fans out there - don't the new sword pieces remind you of the Toa Inika swords?

I knew they looked familiar from somewhere, I just couldn't put my finger on it.

Here's a Raven minifigure up for auction. The wing attachment is pretty weak IMO but I guess that's something they can improve on if there's a second wave of sets.

Wait, are these sets out already? *huh*

No, it's most likely a paint test sample or misprint from the factory. These will be in production but not out until next year.

No, it's most likely a paint test sample or misprint from the factory. These will be in production but not out until next year.

Well, it's possible that we'll see them on some store shelves in December, as that does seem to happen a lot.

The Lion tank reminds me very much of the Thundertank from the 80s Thundercats with its lion head and cannon in the rear. What impressed me most if the fact the whole head is brick built unlike the Ninjago dragons where it is 1 large piece. Also the eagle plane and the eagle tank looks great!

Thundercats+Ninjago+Fabuland= Legends of Chima

So any chance Lego might get the Thundercats licence now that they have lion minifigs? :laugh: They now have TMNT due to Ninjago. :tongue:

That way of attaching the wings doese not seem good, they should have made the clips part of the shoudler pad mold.

Theres soemthing 90's-y about the minifig design without the new head on....

Not so impressed, all I want is the wings for MOCing angels and demons. Not sure they will be worth bying tecnic heavy playsets to get them though.

I completely agree with both of you, the pics have enhanced my opinión about the sets for good, the only ones I find kind of weird aré the Lion sets. Hoping ontheir second wave we can see a temple or more locations, instead of so Manu vehicles.

I am impressed. I see where they are going and I don't know if this will be on the same level as Ninjago, since the 4 Ninjas were really easy to identify with for little boys, but still I can see TLC doing their job and trying to do it good.

The flying Eagle, that's a set I am really falling in love with. It just looks awesome and has this special something that you want to put it on display. A bit like the Stealth Hunter from EF, just an eye catcher on your shelf. And seriously, the croc boat is one of the sickest things I've ever seen from TLC. Mental and amazing. I hope their marketing is good and I hope the story doesn't disappoint and gives an opportunity to identify with the characters, cause I see potential for several years here!

There has to be a cartoon series to go with this theme. That's the best PR for any toy. And LEGO know this hence the Ninjago series. You have to burn something like this into the minds of kids. But it has it all anyway, catchy character names, various factions, weapons, monster vehicles, swooshable vehicles and tons of play features built in. Plus the rip cord bikes are pocket money price range which provides entry level. Then the larger sets fit the birthday/christmas present criteria. There's no way this can fail for LEGO. And knowing the way kids like to mix and match toys the Ninja Turtles theme is a shoe in the doorway too. Mutant animals FTW!

For Bionicle fans out there - don't the new sword pieces remind you of the Toa Inika swords?

Yup. They're featured in Ninjago (at least in the Final Battle set, IIRC) too, right? They look like great pieces.

I'm impressed with Razar. The amount of details is wonderful, he even has a dual side head (I'm very happy the head isn't one piece, BTW- I guess it'll be the same for the Eagles). Such a well done figure. I can't believe he comes in the cheapest set...

And I realized the Ravens are like pirates. PIRATE RAVEN PEOPLE. How cool is that? I demand a flying ship as their HQ for future waves.

Edited by Shakar

Well, it allows for a lot of customization in theory. In practice, it'll only meet its fullest potential if a similar two=stud neck bracket is introduced that doesn't have stylized armor built in. But at least they're not using a one-stud neck bracket with a 1x2 plate attached, like some jetpacks and backpacks in the LEGO Star Wars theme have done (I'm thinking of the Sandtrooper backpacks in particular).

It is nice to get confirmation that the fig heads will be two pieces, but it's funny that in this case at least, both pieces seem equally animal-like. In fact, it's almost as though the inner head print were just the outer head print smushed onto a flat surface. I was sort of expecting the inner head prints to be less animal-like so that kids would have characters they could better identify with, though I guess this would look silly in the show (since it's not just a matter of a face transforming, but rather a face transforming between two entirely different levels of detail), and anyway for all we know TLG might do something like this for the heroes (at least in that the heroes will look about as human-like as the cat people from James Cameron's Avatar). I'm not getting my hopes up for it, though. It looks like this decision was just to allow multiple expressions on the molded heads, which is quite thoughtful on the designers' parts.

Yes indeed they do! And they also have the same high-detail designs as the 2006 BIONICLE minifigure swords! If only the BIONICLE minifigure swords from back then had been designed with this kind of functionality in mind (although I guess that would make it harder for the designers to re-use them in 2007).

I for one am extremely glad the heads are masks of sorts. The eagle vehicles easily look the best imo, but I could forsee myself getting the largest Lion set to build something off the base, or similarly with the croc's.