Mister Phes

Would you open a MISB SYSTEM Pirate set?

Mint In Sealed Box SYSTEM Pirate LEGO Sets  

330 members have voted

1. 1. Would you open them?

• Yes, LEGO was meant to be played with
    • No, they're now rare collectors items which need to be preserved
    • Depends on the set - some are more valuable than others
  2. 2. How many MISB SYSTEM Pirate sets do you think remain?

• 1000's
    • 100's
    • dozens
    • I really have no idea

I partly agree with Guss, I however don't see them as dead bricks, more like unborn bricks. Dead bricks are bricks that have been disposed in the garbage. It is only a difference of opinion that some feel the bricks are already alive 'in the box' and others feel they are not :pir-tongue: .

The birth of a brick is the most thrilling moment for me. Ripping apart the box is the best feeling in the world. If I would start buying old sets, I would always try to get them MISB. I like being the one to give the bricks their first scars.

you said it better than me^^ "unborn bricks" is the good term.

The birth of a brick is the most thrilling moment for me.

that's right , it's soo exciting ! that's the reason why I'll never be able to understand someone that buy a set to keep it " misb " ... that's impossible for me!

I just love building! The only reason I have a model not knocked down (I need to keep it for a train show) is because I put it in a box on top of my wardrobe! I'm hopless like that, so even if I wanted to keep a set MISB, I just couldn't resist opening it!

I would want to black seas barracuda un-opened. That would be worth a lot of money.

I would want to black seas barracuda un-opened.

if ONE day I have this:

misb.jpg

in my hands, you can count to 3 , approximately when you'll reach 1, it'll be opened and I'll start to build it ^^

Edited by Guss

BSB would be built the same day I had it in my hands, regardless of the state of the box.

I never fully appreciate the design and beauty of the model until I have built it.

Looking at the plans is just not the same.

Looking at the plans is just not the same.

Which is exactly why I wish I had the SES. I have seen the instructions for the steering mechanism, but it just isn't the same. You're right pe668.

Edited by Captain Zuloo

Open it up! Having a MISB collection is (financially) worthless unless you sell them. I can understand buying a spare copy of a set, put it in the closet for a couple of years and selling it to make some money to get more Lego, but not hoarding a collection of MISB and talking about how much it's worth.

I broke myself of the MISB/MIP habit a long time ago. I now enjoy my toys!

:pir-classic:

Yes, of course I would open it! I always open kits as soon as I get them, and that would stay the same even if I managed to get a rare kit. For me, the potential thrill of building, playing with, and displaying a rare kit far outweighs letting it sit unopened. The only way I'd ever resist opening it is if it was so rare that selling it would get literally hundreds of dollars more than what I paid for it, and only if it was just a rare variation on a normal kit (ie. the kit that Guss posted). But then I'd just sell it and hopefully buy a less expensive version with some of the profit. :pir-wink:

In short, I'm a lego builder, NOT a lego collector. Sure, I like to display my favorite sets, but my prime enjoyment comes from building and using my lego, not just leaving it in a dusty box for years. :pir-tongue:

Edited by Grevious

I'm in front of this dilemma at the moment.

I have this set:

2008_11110008.jpg

It's a MISB box but not MINT It has a few light bends in the front but nothing major, overall in good condition. If it was in perfect condition I wouldn't even think of opening it. I've been building a lot of original ships recently but this set I have never built before. And this is my only copy of this set too. What should I do?

Edited by Mile85

this set I have never built before.

in my opinion, if you don't open it and build it... it's a waste to keep it in it box, just open it and build it NOW !

or if you don't want to, give it to me^^

Edited by Guss

I voted no and 100's..

I really, really wish I had not opened a few of my sets..

I really wish I hadn't opened up the Durmstrag Ship, I found myself owning 3 different Raft Raiders(6261) when I was a kid (one from my parents, and one from each pair of grandparents), two Sabre Islands (6265), and two Bounty Boats (6247)... all because I told my grandparents I wanted pirate boats and forts :-p

In retrospect, I really wish I had only opened up one of each of them, so that almost 15 years down the road, I could've sold the unopened ones to buy more Lego with. I've kinda made up for it since then with Hot Wheels, I probably have well over 750 Hot Wheels muscle cars and hot rods that I've bought over the past 15 years that are all unopened... but that's beside the point, this is a Lego forum right?

I bought at least 2 of every single Indiana Jones sets, and I'm leaving one copyof each set unopened for at least 10 years.. I would like to get my hands on a third copy of Peril in Peru so I have 2 unopened sets of that one. I really don't like that aircraft :-p

I understand some people's points, that they're like rare artifacts, and to play with them would be a crime.

...But I find that somewhat relevant to today's sets. If we believe the above statement, then why should we open any new (currently in production) set? All new sets will get old, after all; what does it matter when one opens the set?

I voted yes. LEGO crap is meant to be opened, played with, then eventually broken and ruined. It's the natural life-cycle of all toys. No matter how old, or rare it is.

I voted no, but that's my greedy half talking. In actuality I guess it would depend on the set, but given the chance to sell it for loads of cash and opening it I would have to sell in order to get more for my money in current sets.

I voted yes. LEGO crap is meant to be opened, played with, then eventually broken and ruined. It's the natural life-cycle of all toys. No matter how old, or rare it is.

:pir-oh: What did you just call LEGO??(*starts rallying other forum members)

I would open it. Lego was made to be enjoyed not left to rot on some dusty shelf 6 feet off the carpet. I'm not some insane collector,in fact I detest that type :pir_mad: . If I wanted to sell on I'd just say I cared for it. I say: Open it, just look after it. :pir-classic:

I would open it. Lego was made to be enjoyed not left to rot on some dusty shelf 6 feet off the carpet. I'm not some insane collector,in fact I detest that type :pir_mad: . If I wanted to sell on I'd just say I cared for it. I say: Open it, just look after it. :pir-classic:

Aye Mate, Well put.

There was a time when I would have said "Open it" if I had gotten my hands on a BSB. But now that the new line is out, and I have been fortunate enough to acquire a bunch of new pirate stuff, I must say I have changed my mind. I want the BSB badly, but I would display the box. never open.

I got The Imperial Outpost new on ebay for £20 a few weeks ago and opened it right up. The best thing was it had the old catalogs in it which was cool.

Unopened lego should be made a crime. I have difficulty when in shops to stop myself .

YES. Whats the point of not being able to enjoy it? It's lego, and it should e played with.

Valedico,

The Gladiator VBBN

If I had a MISB BSB I would...

Sell It and buy an opened one, this way I'd make loads of profit and wouldn't have slain such a rare set, if it was a CC, well, I couldn't decide... :pir-hmpf_bad:

Hey Mr Phes, speaking of MISBs, I have a Renegade Runner MISB if you're interested

MISB sets that I own which will not be opened.

z-piratesets_74.jpg

Sorry for the picture quality and I'm actually thinking about selling them at some point.

AC

I would only open up boats. That's all I care for as far as Pirate sets go. If they are some random island or outpost, I'd keep it MISB.

I don't think Lego makes a good investment, and I can still pull out old boxes from time to time, the fact they're opened doesn't diminish my enjoyment of them. So in the majority of cases, I'd open any MISB set I came across. In the event I didn't want a particular box of Lego, I'd sell it.