Kazz

Problem starting LDD today

From what I was told, they were working on the problem, got it to work, but then it failed again. So I guess we'll have to wait....

Having the same problem. I was hoped that this all is because TLG trying to apply new patch and that's why servers went down. But I guess it's only me. =)

From what I was told, they were working on the problem, got it to work, but then it failed again. So I guess we'll have to wait....

Thanks Superkalle for emailing them. Like you say we know they are aware and most of us do have the temporary offline solution.

With Bricklink not working much either I wonder if the two are related, maybe someone hacked them both......unlikely I guess.

Thanks Superkalle for emailing them. Like you say we know they are aware and most of us do have the temporary offline solution.

With Bricklink not working much either I wonder if the two are related, maybe someone hacked them both......unlikely I guess.

Unlikely but still something of a co-incidence. Who'd want to bring down the Lego community down?

Have we been p***ing off the Mega Brands crowd again? :hmpf::tongue:

~A.S.

I don't like to edit HOSTS file on Windows 7. It's a pain in the butt as you have to run the text editor as admin to get edit permission, then edit the file and save it. If you skip or forget the admin permission, you'll get error message when saving the revised HOSTS file. Plus you got to manually re-edit HOSTS to re-enable LDD for updates.

I like this method better for Windows 7 if you are using basic Windows firewall. The one below, done once and it's just a few quick steps to toggle it online/offline.

1: open Start

2: type in firewall in the search and hit enter

3: in new Firewall window with advanced security, look at the left side for outbound rules. Click that

4: On right side of the window, click on New Rule...

5: select Program (if not selected) and click next

6: browse to where LDD is stored. Typically in c:/Program Files (x86)/LEGO Company/LEGO Digital Designer and select LDD.EXE, click Open, then click next

7: select Block the connection and click next

8: select all 3 if they aren't selected and click next

9: name (I used LDD) and description (For when online LDD is broken) and click Finish

In the future you can come back to Firewall outbound rule pane, and select LDD to enable (block) or disable (allow) as needed. I'd leave it blocked unless there's an update as LDD seems a lot faster offline.

The procedure is probably the same for Vista. You'll need to consult the documentation for using other firewalls other than Microsoft's version.

Edited by Lego Otaku

got the same prob here, won't start even if disconnected from broadband.

Today i learned LDD needs an internet connection to function... :sceptic:

I actually don't like the idea. What do we need TLG servers for and what are they using the connection for??

Anyway, i have the same problem. :hmpf_bad:

Today i learned LDD needs an internet connection to function... :sceptic:

I actually don't like the idea. What do we need TLG servers for and what are they using the connection for??

Anyway, i have the same problem. :hmpf_bad:

The connection is used for updates and I think maybe for adding models to the LDD online gallery if you use that option, but not much else. LDD isn't completely dependent on this and you can run LDD in "offline mode" just fine if you temporarily disable your computer's internet connection.

Don't worry, there is absolutely no reason to think TLG is using the internet connection to spy on you or steal your models. The only problems that tend to arise are glitches, like this one, and the occasional risk that parts and decorations will be removed from LDD during an update.

Hi!

I have the LDD game for years, and I haven't any problems, but this week I can't start it. It starts and appears, but the blue lego bar almost stops immediately, and the program doesn't starts. I made a picture about this moment:

I read every topic with this problem on the web and tried the solutions, but nothing changed. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the LDD twice.

Can anybody tells what's wrong? I really enjoy this program, and I was currently working on a big project. I'm desperate! :(

Yenna

Sorry for my english, if it doesn't perfect. :)

Edited by Calabar
Topic moved. Oversized image converted in text link (maximum size allowed is 800x600)

there is a hidden setting about server calls....

but i can't say more, copyright problems....

Ciao

P.S.: to cavegod: I don't know why but i can't view my own profile!

Edited by fgiorgi

I don't have any proof of this, but perhaps The Lego Group wants to SEE (keystroke by keystroke) how users of Lego Digital Designer use the software. There may be a keystroke logger function. Since we all agreed to the License Agreement, maybe TLG's LDD programmers see WHAT we want to build and HOW SUCCESSFUL we are in building it.... :oh:

I don't have any proof of this, but perhaps The Lego Group wants to SEE (keystroke by keystroke) how users of Lego Digital Designer use the software. There may be a keystroke logger function. Since we all agreed to the License Agreement, maybe TLG's LDD programmers see WHAT we want to build and HOW SUCCESSFUL we are in building it.... :oh:

And then maybe hire us as set designers...

Edited by Juju99

Any word on this? I was just getting ready to connect my LDD computer back up to the web and check for updates, but obviously I don't want to do that if they're having problems. Any progress reports or indications on when we might see a solution?

Hello all you LDD users out there.

I notice many of you ask questions that has allready been cleared up in this topic. Please browse though the topic before asking. It's all there: :classic:

1) Yes, it's a problem

2) Yes, TLG is aware of it

3) Yes, it will be fixed

4) Yes, there is a workaround - temporarily unplug network cable while starting LDD

5) Yes, when it starts working it will be posted here

AND...if you want to make a difference and let TLG know how many we are that are affected by this issue, then call TLG customer support - they will keep statistics and forward all complaints. Let TLG know how many we are :devil:

And please...don't start going into conspiracy theories (unless you're ironic :wink:) - LDD will not monitor your models, your keystrokes or anything like that. The internet connectivity is for making sure you've got the latest version. And that's also the reason why TLG does not want people permanently turning off the internet check. There might be important updates that you really want.

Don't forget the mouse movement tracker!

Seriously, NO! LEGO doesn't do that. :laugh:

Wow, it seems to be a global issue! Glad to know I'm not the only one having the same connecting problem. I tried it again today and its still stuck.I hope they fix this issue soon. Now that college is out for the summer its time for me to start building again. I use LDD quite a lot before building the actual model.

And please...don't start going into conspiracy theories (unless you're ironic :wink:) - LDD will not monitor your models, your keystrokes or anything like that. The internet connectivity is for making sure you've got the latest version. And that's also the reason why TLG does not want people permanently turning off the internet check. There might be important updates that you really want.

I'm sure they don't really do any of those nefarious things, but LEGO's site is quite aggressive about collecting information. Certain tracking cookies and ad-bots must be allowed in order to use it. Without those enabled, there are no pictures with the product pages, for instance.

Programming LDD to fail to run because it can't connect to LEGO's servers is also unusually aggressive for a common-use application. Even apps like AV programs will still run - with warnings about the consequences - when they can't update.

Peter

30+ years in programming, app development and IT management

I'm not sure if it's true or not (Haven't bothered trying), but someone told me LDD is working again. :wink:

Edit: Yay, they were right. :laugh:

Edited by Masta' Blasta'

Programming LDD to fail to run because it can't connect to LEGO's servers is also unusually aggressive for a common-use application. Even apps like AV programs will still run - with warnings about the consequences - when they can't update.

You are definitively right about that. There should be a time-out in case the server doesn't respond so people at least can use the program.

EDIT: LDD seems to start correctly for me too now :classic:

EDIT: LDD seems to start correctly for me too now :classic:

Me too. :laugh: It was still down about 3 hours ago, but it's alive now.

Peter

Yes it starts now. but only in SAFE MODE and when i change Compability Mode to MAX it stats normal but i've problems to build with chains and cable (moveable)

wow and to think i blamed this ALL on my laptop,

thanks guys for the updates, it's nice to have LDD running again so i can mock up ideas... :)