wonkyeye

LOTR & The Hobbit 2012

Wow, those figs are nice! I really like the orcs. Gollum...looks like he couldn't make it to the toilet. :wink:

OMG! The figures look even better than the preliminary photos! I'm glad Boromir's outfit resembles the movie, and his shield! The swords are new, but I hope they come out with special molds for Sting and Anduril for later sets. Did anyone notice the phial of Galadriel which Sam is holding? (Could be an upside down diamond). My only disappointment is Gandalf's staff, and I wish he had more hair than just the beard. Otherwise, looking great!

For the enemies, I am pretty satisfied with how they look. Was not expecting to see these guys for awhile! I hope the moria/mordor orcs also get a unique helmet, instead of just hair. Gollum looks like a poor despicable creature, and the kind of figure to be pitied (Just how it should be). Best figure is definitely the Uruk-Hai - love the armor and weapons! Good job LEGO! :thumbup:

Edited by hungryhobbit

We can rule out "goblin" - clearly we are presented with (green) "Moria Orc" & (brown) "Mordor Orc" ... so that debate is over.

Interesting to see that they all have the standard legs. It appears that the orcs have the same hairpiece+ears as the elf - so if you wanted a green elf with black hair...

Not too sure with Gollum, his eyes are huge. Is he in the next episode of The Clone Wars? Haha.

About the ring, looks like you can both hold it in the claw, and sit it on the hand. (And it is not a %$#% printed tile - which we knew last week already.)

Did anyone notice the phial of Galadriel which Sam is holding? (Could be an upside down diamond).

Gaahh! My eyes! :enough:

Yes it is an upside down diamond.

Whoa those look awesome! I love gollum! The orcs look great too. I'm a little confused about why they used the long staff piece for Gimli's axe (it looks kinda weird with it :wacko: ) but otherwise I'm super excited! :thumbup:

We can rule out "goblin" - clearly we are presented with (green) "Moria Orc" & (brown) "Mordor Orc" ... so that debate is over.

Interesting to see that they all have the standard legs. It appears that the orcs have the same hairpiece+ears as the elf - so if you wanted a green elf with black hair...

Not too sure with Gollum, his eyes are huge. Is he in the next episode of The Clone Wars? Haha.

About the ring, looks like you can both hold it in the claw, and sit it on the hand. (And it is not a %$#% printed tile - which we knew last week already.)

I guess giving the goblins short legs would resemble as hobbits-kids, as enemies, our heroes fighting them, that would not seem good. :grin:

I think the goblin hair piece has larger ears than the elf one.

well that was a coincidence (look at my last post) hey fingers crossed for hobbit prelims soon!

the ringwraith looks like it has half a dementor cape and i hope they make sting and anduriel for the sets

I just realized how bad the Boromir minifig is. I mean, BRIGHT ORANGE???? This is just me, but I'm thinking dark orange, at least. EDIT: I just looked back a page and realized Lego changed it to Dark Orange!

Edited by JackJonespaw

The orcs look like the CMF werewolf to me. I think they have too much hair... I think a printed head would have looked better, though, you wouldn't be able to get raised ears.

I'm also underwhelmed with the ringwraiths. I suppose they look as we would have expected though.

Good to see that Boromir has the red arms.

Nonetheless... yep, I'll be buying all the sets to get the minifigs. :shrug_oh_well:

Every fig looks so much better here. :cry_happy: Well, Gollum's printing isn't fantasting, although the body and head is spot-on...

Orcs don't have that much hair, unless they're odd. I was hoping to see some individual, important orcs, maybe in the next wave. :sad: I wonder what the Uruk-Hai looks like under that mask? I'm not so sure about Gimli's axe, though. It'll look weird when not in action.

Edited by JackJonespaw

I'm loving these figs- especially the Uruk-Hai! I wonder where Theodon, Haldir and the Rohan Riders are, though...

Let's see...

Legolas' face looks so much less odd here. :sweet:

Boromir is mercifully darker in tone, and his shield is spot-on.

Aragorn looks...great, but not like Aragorn. Pants are really bright, and he lacks a cape, but to be honest, even if not accurate, he looks awesome. (though his face is look a brown version of Boromir's...)

Gandalf looks good, but is missing a much-needed leg print to show his robe. :sadnew:

Not much is new with the Hobbits, except for the Light of Earendil (spelling?), which I'm curious to see if it's a new piece of just a gem...

Gimli's helmet is a lot less imposing, which is good, but his dark red torso looks a bit off...not that I have issues with what is sure to be a well-printed piece.

Uruk-Hai looks friggin' awesome. :wub_drool: His shield is upside down, but the design of it, his sword, and his helmet are unreal.

Gollum...um. :look:

Ringwraith - some heavy printing, but I hope it'll turn out well.

The orcs are great. Different and the same. Each relatively accurate to their realms, but can be used in the same ranks without much issue. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Fellowship: The fellowship looks good and much better than the earlier poster. The use of the highlander sword does not bother me at all. Boromir looks much better now. His shield and cloak really make him stand out. Too bad LEGOlas can't have a quiver or a cape. The hobbits are perfect. Gimli's axe is ginormous! (easily fixed) His helm is incredible. The lack of a staff for Gandalf is nutty. A bar for a staff? Atleast his torso is printed. The beard looks like it may have some hair around the sides? I hope so cuz without some hair in the back it will not look like him. He is the most important character across all 5 movies and he only gets a new beard? I cannot express how disappointing the Gandalf fig is to me.

Baddies: I acutally like gollum. I think he will come with two different expressions for his split personality. (the poster shows Smeagol and the minifig Gollum) The Uruk looks great. What is the Uruk's actual skin color? The two orcs are nice but I don't like that they look like they are wearing gloves. I'm not sure about that moria orc torso. I can't tell what that reddish area on the torso is. The ringwraith is great.

Overall things are looking pretty good.

I don't think that LEGOlas and the orcs have the same hair mold. They appear to be different to me. The orcs hair rides higher on the head and the hairline is shaped differently. LEGOlas ears seem to be smaller as well.

Edited by DaleDVM

The Fellowship looks a little better than the baddies to me, but those are some very high standards, so these are still pretty good. Not a big fan of gollum. Something about that fig doesn't seem to work... still, I bet other people will snatch him up.

All this talk of how the orcs and goblins are reffered to in the books is becoming irrelevant to the discussion of this theme. The sets are based on the films, and all the Minifigs will appear as such, despite how Tolkien used the words Orc and goblin interchangeably.

I disagree that the discussion of lore from the books is irrelevant, since almost every design choice and plot point in the movies is based on elements from the books, sometimes very minute and obscure details. For an example that's relevant to the current discussion, the idea that orcs are bigger than goblins is not just something that Peter Jackson and Co. made up. It is based on this line from the Hobbit:

"A bit low for goblins, at least for the big ones," thought Bilbo, not knowing that even the big ones, the orcs of the mountains, go along at a great speed stooping low with their hands almost on the ground.

So basically, the fans of the movies and the fans of the books are both right!

PJ and Fran Walsh did make a few heinous changes in the story due to artistic interpretation and the fact that not every element in a written work translates well to the movie screen. But when all is said and done, both of them were rabid fans of the books long before they were cinematic bigshots. They obsessed over "the lore" like your worst comic book fans, argued the fine points just like the rest of us fantasy fans, and when it was time to decide how things would look in their movies they did almost everything "by the book". This is why they had Alan Lee, one of the great Tolkein illustrators, as lead concept artist for the trilogy.

Wowie wow wow, those are great figures! I'm still a bit iffy on the Uruk's helmet and Gollum's legs, however. Those two shapes don't seem to translate well into ABS.

Excuse me but I'm gonna keep calling the moria orc goblin.

What matters is they don't look the same!

The fellowship and enimies look good. (well Aragorn still has wrong colors, and the nazgul's hood really doesent work for me)

Still no images of the non fellowship hero figures :sceptic:

Theoden, Eomer and Haldir!!

Edited by deskp

The redish area on the Moria torso, Im pretty sure is printed armor and clothes.

1380.jpg

Thanks for the photo of the Moria Orc. I hope that print looks good on the torso. I can't really tell from the angle the photo was taken. Again it is a waiting game. :sadnew:

Thanks for the photo of the Moria Orc. I hope that print looks good on the torso. I can't really tell from the angle the photo was taken. Again it is a waiting game. :sadnew:

I think it looks great! And it should work well with the pelenor field orcs.

Theonering.net has higher qulity images.

The so called mordor orc in the image is more of an "isengard orc" in my opinion, that hunched kind where as the proper mordor orcs are more powerfull looking.

Edited by deskp

Uruk-Hai looks friggin' awesome. :wub_drool: His shield is upside down, but the design of it, his sword, and his helmet are unreal.

Nope, the shield is right side up - the spikes face downward.

Very good looking figs :thumbup: . Boromir is much improved over the poster. Is Gimli's beard a new mold?

I don't like the yellow eyes on the orcs. It gives them a blank, undead look (which I don't like on living characters).

But I'm glad TLG didn't differentiate between orcs and goblins and made them interchangeable, like I hoped.

Gollum does look a bit strange, but not bad. I like the sneaky look on the poster better, though.

Are you guys sure the sword is the highlander mold? The pommel at the bottom looks bigger to me than the one on the highlander sword...

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the figs, and the torso prints.

Edited by Ardelon

@ Skalldyr - Thanks for sharing those new posters. The minifigures look really great. I like the way Boromir has turned out but I can't say the same for Aragorn. His figure looks incomplete. He should have a cape or something. I also dig the leg printing. The other thing that I'm looking forward to see is how the Uruk-hai look under their armor. I'm actually starting to get a little excited.

Edited by Sir_Basil_Ashton