LEGOman273

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Season 5 Discussion

Why is everyone saying that the series is over? All they said in the official announcement is that they aren't producing it for Cartoon Network anymore, which was to be expected after the Disney deal. To me, that just sounds like they will show Season 6 on one of the Disney owned channels. And they only say they are "winding down" the series, which was also to be expected seeing how close it's getting to RotS. Filoni says they are still producing several new story arcs (each of which will probably consist of 2-4 episodes) and I just can't see them including so many episodes as mere bonus content on a DVD, even if it's a box set. So until they come out and say where the next episodes are going to be available, I suggest everyone to keep calm and wait for further news.

On a brighter note: How cool was that clip at the end of that video?! :oh: There are clones fighting droids, clones returning to their original programming, and the return of Admiral Trench!!! Can't wait for this episode!

They're just hedging their bets, as with everyone under the thumb of a mighty PR machine. New story arcs does not guarantee new episodes - it could be something as small as a comic finale, or an online text story (shudder). Or something as large as a whole new season 6. There being finished footage of a handful of scenes does not absolutely mean they yet have the funding for everything they want to do, and it's very likely that that video is there to help drum up support for a new season. The fact that he mentions people writing in helps back this up. I imagine the money-people at Disney are still making their minds up how much to give to the studio at this point.

I agree with Oky- this doesn't mean the "end." There is something else in store- perhaps one last season, perhaps some specials. I think it would be good if they did a full length movie to wrap it up, even if it's televised.

I hope everything gets cleared up with Darth Maul before the series is over. It'd be sad not to find out what happens to him.

FRAK! I read the announcement on my lunch break and have been bummed about it since then.

Here’s some unfortunate news for fans of Star Wars: The Clone Wars. It looks like Lucasfilm has plans to wind down the animated series after five successful seasons. No new episodes will be produced for Cartoon Network, but some story arcs are being developed and will be available elsewhere as bonus material.

That sounds like the show is ending to me. I think they will air a Clone War special or two on Disney XD. Perhaps combine a few of the arcs and make a TV movie out of it. I don't see Disney putting anything out that doesn't point towards episode 7. Although they did mention a new animated series, which I would imagine would be the replacement for Clone Wars. The press announcement said that the new show would cover material never before touched upon in the Star Wars universe. Which means my faint hope of a Old Republic show would be out. Not sure they could cover that is new, it seems the EU has touched upon every possible timeline.

I hope that we will see what the Chancellor has planned for Maul and some closure with the Mandos. And it would be nice to see what happens with Ahsoka in the next chapter of her life. I have become surprisingly attached to that character. I also hope we will still get some Clone Wars sets for this winter's wave since Lego plans out their line far in advance. But it is disappointing if the show is ending because I think of so much they could do with it. And I really wanted to see Gree in Phase II armor. :cry_sad:

Edited by djmangunz

On a brighter note: How cool was that clip at the end of that video?! :oh: There are clones fighting droids, clones returning to their original programming, and the return of Admiral Trench!!! Can't wait for this episode!

Though it seems another example of CW naming, Admiral Trench seems to be commanding a ground battle, just like General Skywalker commanding a space battle.

Poor Tup, I wonder what will happen here?

We still have Maul to wrap up, plus an appearance of a Commando unit, Opo Rancis, Commander Bacara etc mentioned in interviews.

A series based after ANH would be good.

Edited by Mr Man

I'm afraid we won't get the closure we want with CW. There is need for a final season, just to tie all loose ends (btw i think it was a smart strategy to let Ahsoka run off; now she wouldn't have to get killed (storyline-wise) and that will save a lot of crying children). So i keep my fingers crossed that the Disney company will have a little compassion with us.

I would like to see the rest of the story arcs (which will likely tie up Maul's story, Ahsoka's story, and the lead up to ROTS) as specials released on iTunes.

I was one of those with optimistic thoughts about Disney taking over LucasArts, now that has been pulled back down

because of them screwing up an ongoing series. Why would they do this? I already saw it coming with the way the season ended (sad music in the background),

but the Clovis arc was pushed to S6 and now chances are we'll never see it. And what of Maul?

Edited by General Magma

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

I hope it just means that they're switching from CN to XD. There's too many doors left open at the end of season 5. And I want to see that Embo episode!

I wonder how Lego feel about this - with no new content coming out are they going to be releasing stuff next year purely based on the movies?

I wonder how Lego feel about this - with no new content coming out are they going to be releasing stuff next year purely based on the movies?

Probably a bunch of remakes of old stuff like the more recent waves (Desert Skiff, Jabba's Palace, Republic Gunship, etc.) I think the designers will be able to come up with enough ideas until 2015 when Episode 7, or they could delve more into the Expanded Universe. I'd personally prefer the latter since they'd be coming up with more original sets.

^ I agree. I'm hoping that with the new films on the horizon, Lego will be able to stop rehashing so many sets and focus on creating new material. At this point, I really can't see how some of the models could get any better.

It will certainly be interesting to see what/if Disney does to the LEGO license. They've den a lot of changes/holds thus far(I was SO looking forward to Detours). But, I assume the relationship is pretty solid, what with all the Disney licensed themes over the years. They even have a LEGO store in one of their parks.

First they do the big "Oh my gosh, the clone wars is canceled!" and then they continue the series on XD under a new title (Star Wars the Space Opera;)), just to wrap all things up and if the ratings will be solid, then they will probably do another season. Or they will release the missing episodes on dvd, as it was suggested before. But seriously, CW brought/brings allot of bucks to the company so why kill it off so suddenly they are probably just negotiationg the terms with cartoon network and spread these cancelation news on the net, to see how the fanbase will react to it. Only time will tell.

As good as a few of the episodes are they still don't do that good at explaining why Anakin went dark.

Yes, I get it, he's whiny and wants more. That enough to strangle your wife? Kill children?

If anything the Prequels have made Anakin logically much less forgivable and much like a character more comparable to Hitler, someone you don't really want to be redeemed.

I mean originally you knew kids and stuff died all the time, especially when they blew up Alderan. But they never showed it on screen. And all the prequels and Clone Wars have done to explain his motivation is show him to be a selfish idiot who makes no sense and is literally just mentally insane.

All of his conclusions about practically everything are forced and aren't logic minded. The only time something makes a direct hit is when Ashoka leaves, but you do strangle your wife and kill kiddies because of that?

He's just a nut case. I think Clone Wars and the prequels have failed to really do well with him.

As good as a few of the episodes are they still don't do that good at explaining why Anakin went dark.

Yes, I get it, he's whiny and wants more. That enough to strangle your wife? Kill children?

If anything the Prequels have made Anakin logically much less forgivable and much like a character more comparable to Hitler, someone you don't really want to be redeemed.

I mean originally you knew kids and stuff died all the time, especially when they blew up Alderan. But they never showed it on screen. And all the prequels and Clone Wars have done to explain his motivation is show him to be a selfish idiot who makes no sense and is literally just mentally insane.

All of his conclusions about practically everything are forced and aren't logic minded. The only time something makes a direct hit is when Ashoka leaves, but you do strangle your wife and kill kiddies because of that?

He's just a nut case. I think Clone Wars and the prequels have failed to really do well with him.

Indeed. Basically, Anakin's turn was explained psychologically rather than explaining how the dark side changes and maybe consumes the "user" of the (dark side of the) force.

I hope they just move the series to XD...not to iTunes/DVD. I don't want to have to buy something I saw for free. :sadnew:

I was one of those with optimistic thoughts about Disney taking over LucasArts, now that has been pulled back down

because of them screwing up an ongoing series. Why would they do this? I already saw it coming with the way the season ended (sad music in the background),

but the Clovis arc was pushed to S6 and now chances are we'll never see it. And what of Maul?

I think part if it involves Episode VII. In order to hit its release date it has to be pretty far along in development by now. But it poses a problem for things like TCW. Given its prequel driven nature, with every new episode of TCW the chance increases that it will be something that contradicts or causes a conflict with Ep VII and whatever it's story may be. Chances are those making the movie want he decks cleared so they don't have to write around a moving target. Established on screen continuity will be frozen for a bit so they can hit the ground running with the movie production. This is why hey are specifying that they are "winding down" TCW, not simply canceling or ending it. It's an interesting turn of phrase, no?

The putting the Detours program on hold is another matter altogether. That's just a matter of some asking if that is really the direction that they want the brand to be going.

I don't think there's much of a chance Episode VII actually hits the 2015 release date. 2016 maybe. 2017 probably.

UNLESS they rush. I hope they don't rush. Quality takes time. Though some of the original actors may be dead by then. :)

I have to admit that I'm a bit pissed.

First, I don't like how the whole issue is communicated.

Personally, I'm not very excited about the "new era focused on the next Star Wars trilogy". Furthermore, I don't see any logical connection between this stated "fact" and the decision to "pursue a new direction in animated programming", and this connection is not made explicit throughout the whole statement. That's bad, because the reason for the cancelation of TCW is to be found in this connection and nowhere else.

Then, another arbitrary logical connection is created: "After five highly successful and critically acclaimed seasons of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we feel the time has come to wind down the series." First, if the five seasons were highly successful, that's not exactly a good reason "to wind down the series". Second, how exactly did the decision maker arrive at his decision? He realized that there were five highly successful seasons and then, out of the sudden, he felt that the series had to be winded down? If I am supposed to believe this megablocks, then I am supposed to be an idiot. The logical connection in this sentence is, plain and simply, an intellectual insultation, and that's why I'm slightly pissed.

On more subtle level, what's said here, is, "TRUST US! We were able to create five highly successfull seasons of TCW. It's time to wind to the series. Really. We feel it's right, so trust us." And that's the point: I don't trust them - those who are in charge. I do not believe that the end of the series will get the time and effort it should get in order to make certain events shown in the PT more intelligible or plausible.

Edited by Brickadeer

On another note... why do Jedi seem to suck at melee combat when they don't have a lightsaber? Heck, how do some people stand up to a Jedi at all in melee combat?

They have the foresight and reflexes to block blaster bolts but they can't seem to see when punches are coming. I would figure, logically, even without a lightsaber they could own relatively large forces. Bounty hunters seem to commonly be able to, at least temporarily, go toe to to with a Jedi in melee combat, sometimes beating them.

What the crap makes shooting bolts so different that they can foresee them but not a slow fist?

:P But that's trying to make sense of a fictional thing.

Here's the rebel bloggers review of the season finale: Link

They're just hedging their bets, as with everyone under the thumb of a mighty PR machine. New story arcs does not guarantee new episodes - it could be something as small as a comic finale, or an online text story (shudder). Or something as large as a whole new season 6. There being finished footage of a handful of scenes does not absolutely mean they yet have the funding for everything they want to do, and it's very likely that that video is there to help drum up support for a new season. The fact that he mentions people writing in helps back this up. I imagine the money-people at Disney are still making their minds up how much to give to the studio at this point.

You mightbe right about the PR thing, and I guess you're right that there is no evidence that the footage we have seen are part of those story arcs Filoni talks about, but on the other hand, what else could they be? I mean, why would they show another one of those excerpts from unaired episodes right after he says that there are still Clone Wars stoires coming if it wasn't one of those stories? If that was the case, it would be a very misleading move that is sure to piss off the fans. :sceptic:

And they already said that the show is still successful and that people want it to continue, so I doubt that the profitability of the show is in question at this point. I think it's just about Disney wanting to draw focus on the upcoming movies.

So I'm pretty sure that we will see the episodes where these clips came from eventually, in one way or another, even though the show is cancelled. Again, they might just show these episodes that they have already produced on one of Disney's networks and end the series after that, just like they're doing with Young Justice and Green Lantern.

I have to admit that I'm a bit pissed. First, I don't like how the whole issue is communicated.

I must agree, it's quite frustrating that they are being so vague. If the show is over, then they should just tell us straight forward that it is, and if it's not, then they shouldn't make such a misleading announcement to begin with. And according to Filoni's comment in that video, the show is "not over yet."

As for them stating that the show was successful and then going on to say that they decided to end it, I guess it comes down to a "quit while you're ahead" mentality. It's not an uncommon strategy and not meant to insult anybody (although it is quite an untypical thing to do for Disney and Lucasfilm, both of which are usually known to milk their properties down to the last penny).

On another note... why do Jedi seem to suck at melee combat when they don't have a lightsaber? Heck, how do some people stand up to a Jedi at all in melee combat?

They have the foresight and reflexes to block blaster bolts but they can't seem to see when punches are coming. I would figure, logically, even without a lightsaber they could own relatively large forces. Bounty hunters seem to commonly be able to, at least temporarily, go toe to to with a Jedi in melee combat, sometimes beating them.

What the crap makes shooting bolts so different that they can foresee them but not a slow fist?

Good question. Maybe it's because blaster bolts move in a straight line and punches don't? :shrug_oh_well: I dunno, it's probably something about the force works in mysterious ways, the dark side clouds their precognitions, blah blah...

...and I even think it wouldn't be that bad were it the conclusion of the entire CW series itself. It wraps up the current portion of Ahsoka's storyline and appears to return Anakin and Obi-Wan to the position they were in at the beginning of the series: a pair of Jedi Knights, generals of the Republic fighting battles leading up to the events of Sith.

Called it. :grin: (this from the draft of the review before we got the announcement)

I get the sense that they're being vague because they themselves aren't completely sure what they're doing right now. Almost like they want to say something decisive about the future of Star Wars but they want to leave the door open in case they decide that whatever they do instead doesn't work out and that The Clone Wars was their "original vision" the entire time.

Kind of like new Scum in a mafia game. :laugh:

As for them stating that the show was successful and then going on to say that they decided to end it, I guess it comes down to a "quit while you're ahead" mentality. It's not an uncommon strategy and not meant to insult anybody (although it is quite an untypical thing to do for Disney and Lucasfilm, both of which are usually known to milk their properties down to the last penny).

I definitely don't think it's "quit while you're ahead instead of milking it" as much as it is "quit because you can probably milk something else for even more money".