purpleparadox

Have you ever bought LEGO in "secret"?

Not in secret, but I have bought a few sets for our son without talking to my husband first. He loves all the LEGO we've been getting, and doesn't mind my buying them, but if he knew how much the total spent really was, I think he might change his mind.

I only bought one in secret and when the delivery came in i took the parcel immediately away because i know my parents forget about it very fast.

They don't notice what changes on my shelfes if it isnt a huge set. But now the possibilities are better because in Germany there are so called "Packstation"s where you can fetch the parcel 24/7. So you could let it wait there one or two days and take it home if the time is good.

BTW: Some funny ways here to stay under the wife-radar

I have bought tens of thousands of dollars worth of LEGO sets and displays in secret. I hide them from my wife in my office at work. If she knew how much I hoard, she would divorce me. :cry_sad:

I only bought one in secret and when the delivery came in i took the parcel immediately away because i know my parents forget about it very fast.

They don't notice what changes on my shelfes if it isnt a huge set. But now the possibilities are better because in Germany there are so called "Packstation"s where you can fetch the parcel 24/7. So you could let it wait there one or two days and take it home if the time is good.

BTW: Some funny ways here to stay under the wife-radar

That is great. Its like a partner in crime. :devil:

No,

My wife also likes Lego.

So I don't need to buy Lego in secret.

You Sir, are lucky.

Hmm... a large amount of people on this thread are talking about hiding purchases from their female partners but in my case it was my wife that was the AFOL and I was the husband that didn't "get" it, until very recently.

Mainly she loves the modular buildings and has them all except Cafe Corner and she's also bought and built the Eiffel Tower. I'm glad to say that she never kept it a secret but I do occasionally come home to sheepish looks, the offer of a cup of tea and some biscuits (how British!), and an apology for being weak/naughty/frivolous when she buys something on impulse. Perhaps there's an equivalently emotionally bribing behaviour for men to be forgiven by their partners?

Of course, now that she's converted me into an AFOL too I'm extremely worried about our bank balance - especially as one of our sons loves the architecture models and the other just loves Lego as a whole!

Cheers,

Terry.

Edited by Purple Rhapsody

Occasionally, if I'm passing by a Walmart or another retail/toy store and have some spare change, I'll buy one of the smaller 10-20 sets and then build it in secret (sets 4427 and 9488 were the most recent ones, I think). Parents usually don't notice; they think Lego's a much better hobby than constant gaming anyways.

It has been six months since the last confession made here... perhaps not posting on the internet makes it 'super secret'.

I spent a long period last year gathering, sorting, sorting, counting, and gathering parts.

So far this we have made from parts Cafe Corner, some Batman Tumblers, an AT-AT Walker, the Green Grocer (1x4s not 1x8s), and the Grand Carousel....

I think my better-half has suspicions that these parts were not all just lying around :sweet:

This year I am thinking Market Street, perhaps a Monorail, and the Winchester...

Edited by pjchilds

My exgirlfriend absolutely hated me spending a dime on lego. My new girlfriend embraces my hobby and I don't have to hide anything! It's great and very refreshing!

My wife tolerates my LEGO hobby/obsession. I very rarely tell her what I buy beforehand, but I always have it shipped to our home, and she opens all packages that come, so nothing is ever a secret. I sometimes feel a bit guilty about the bigger sets I buy, but I don't want to start keeping secrets from her, so it's all in the open.

I'm thinking about establishing a monthly "allowance" in our budget for LEGO or any other thing I may wish to buy, so that I can know my limits and spend conscience-free within them. :)

I don't buy anything in secret. We try to budget our monies, so I try to keep her abreast of the situation if there is a set I want and I would like to think she keeps me abreast of her purchases.

However, there are some good deals to be had so you can't always pass them up. I think the only time I bought anything in secret I ended up telling her about it anyway -- just random orders from eBay/bricklink.

Yes, all the time. If the wife knows I am going to the LEGO store she will come along and then I have to buy her a Friends set as well so it costs twice as much. Before Friends it was Fire Brigade sets, I mean why are Fire Brigade sets so popular, surely there are only so many firemen a town needs?

Yes, all the time. If the wife knows I am going to the LEGO store she will come along and then I have to buy her a Friends set as well so it costs twice as much. Before Friends it was Fire Brigade sets, I mean why are Fire Brigade sets so popular, surely there are only so many firemen a town needs?

lol, because everyone loves a fireman! :laugh:

Be glad that your wife likes LEGO. So of us are not so lucky. :sceptic:

Now that I returned to LEGO I started to keep it a secret, but my parents eventually found out so they know it. I told my girlfriend too and to my surprise she accepted it in a way. The reason I kept it a secret it's because most of people don't understand how great LEGO is, they think it's a toy for children, and they think you are childish if they find out you are a fan. Now I'm not keeping it a secret (Also it's hard to hide the Black Pearl :laugh: ) but I only talk about it if somebody asks.

Now I just have to find a balance between my Bank account and my LEGO purchasing desires :classic:

Good luck keeping that balance. I think the trick is to not be in the LEGO hobby :tongue: .

The big thing is, it is a toy for children and it's a toy for adults. It's not different than model cars, which don't seem to be viewed as a child's toy as much. Only with this, you can build whatever you'd like instead of having to paint something pre-molded.

Only once have I ever bought LEGO in secret. That was when I went on a school trip to France a few years back. The purchase itself wasn't particularly secret but the fact that it was for me was a secret to everyone but one other person. To everyone else I lied and said the set (8423 World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry) was for a younger cousin who was into Cars and LEGO and had a birthday coming up. To be honest, I'm not sure if that even counts as buying LEGO in secret.

Thankfully I rarely have to do it now as almost all of my family and my GF all accept my hobby to some extent. Only my step-dad has any slight problems with me buying LEGO. He occasionally gives me the "You're too old for LEGO now." speech, at which point I direct him here and explain to him that everyone here is an adult who likes LEGO. That usually shuts him up.

Edited by Star Wars NutJob 69

No, not anymore. Considering popping off to the nearest toy store. However, its literally in the middle of the local main street=death on sight if any of the 50 people I know who live in the neighbourhood see me.

My girlfriend is really tolerant. She even bought me Helms Deep for my birthday and built it with me.

But sometimes I have to buy some sets in secret, because she don't want me to spend too much money for Lego.

Being a student, I use my bike to get to the university and luckily there is a store that sells all LotR sets on my way. That's how I buy some my Lego.

When I was younger my Mum said to me 'Sam you can buy I don't like you wasting money on LEGO. So from now on if you buy it don't tell me'. today as a twenty year old student the agreement still stands. There's still times however when I'm out with her and Buy a set that's on offer or, she will get me a suprise set for a Birthday. That said Big sets are always secret, and if caught the price said is always a lot less than the price paid.

Only once have I ever bought LEGO in secret. That was when I went on a school trip to France a few years back. The purchase itself wasn't particularly secret but the fact that it was for me was a secret to everyone but one other person. To everyone else I lied and said the set (8423 World Grand Prix Racing Rivalry) was for a younger cousin who was into Cars and LEGO and had a birthday coming up. To be honest, I'm not sure if that even counts as buying LEGO in secret.

Well played, that's my excuse as well whenever I see someone I know in a store and I'm holding a set.

I hide LEGO purchases from my wife all the time. Whenever I go shopping at the local Meijer, I always slip a CMF (or two) in with the groceries.

Lies! I would never ever ever hide my purchases from my Wife. Just because she fails to notice what I smuggle into the house in the rare moments when she isn't here to watch me (or have the closet in my office so barricaded with boxes of work that she can never go in there) is no reason to assume that I would ever "hide" anything from her. :innocent2: