Gianluca Morelli

How to disassemble the 8110 portal axle part?

OK, I finally succeeded in separating them:

1. slide a big knife blade between the two parts (on the wheel attachment side,

where the diameter is 3 studs)

2. slide another big knife blade, parallel to the first, in the same slot but

on the other side

3. rotate (twist) the knifes in opposite direction (pull one, push the other)

SAFETY WARNING: this might be a dangerous procedure, do it at your own responsibility.

Use big kitchen knives, the ones for cutting meat, smooth blade (no theeth).

If the blade is too thin and flexible, it could come away from the slot and hurt

you. Also, if the blade gets broken, pieces of it might hurt you.

Do point 3. at the biggest possible distance from your body, with eyelids closed

and looking in another direction.

Cheers,

Gianluca

OK, I finally succeeded in separating them:

Cheers,

Gianluca

Wouldn't it suffice to apply some pressure (while pulling the part) on one side of the pin with a technic liftarm or something?

Wouldn't it suffice to apply some pressure (while pulling the part) on one side of the pin with a technic liftarm or something?

It really doesn't work,they are very tight fit.

It really doesn't work,they are very tight fit.

Okay bummer!

Must say I haven't had the need to separate those parts.

If you really need them separated, ordering some extra parts will probably be a better solution.

Do point 3. at the biggest possible distance from your body, with eyelids closed

Man I laughed. :laugh: I'm sorry, but picture in my head of someone doing this is too funny.

Would it be much more simpler & cheaper (Hospital cost, arm or fingers reattachment )and less stressful (partners cleaning up the blood) to buy them or another 8110 :classic:

Edited by Phantom59

SAFETY WARNING: this might be a dangerous procedure, do it at your own responsibility.

Use big kitchen knives, the ones for cutting meat, smooth blade (no theeth).

If the blade is too thin and flexible, it could come away from the slot and hurt

you. Also, if the blade gets broken, pieces of it might hurt you.

I've had the same problem. I completely destroyed a set of my portal axles trying to get them apart with a pair of flat screwdrivers. Now we've seen that there is a way, but it comes with a huge safety warning. What's going on here? This is not very "LEGO like" to require a dangerous procedure to get pieces apart. I would just say that they are designed to never be disassembled, but the presence of a slot on the side clearly indicates that they ARE meant to be disassembled. So why is it so hard? There's no way a child could do this safely.

I'm not going to make any further attempts to disassemble mine. I guess they are together forever.

I think without the slots it would be too hard to assemble in the first place. You will note that the rear face of the clip has a completely flat edge, unlike a connector peg which has a rounded edge enableing them to be removed.

Why would one want to disassemble the 8110 portal axle anyway? The two parts are like two halves of a Technic Turntable:

48452.gif48168.jpg

I was under the impression that those 2 parts would only be compatible with each other and no other parts would go into it

This part is equally as hard to separate...

x873c01.gif

I had an idea that I wanted to try with just the 4 towball piece, and I ended up breaking it trying to separate it...

Obviously once the portal axle and hub are connected they are not meant to come apart, which makes you wonder why they were not connected in the first place like many other multi-part elements...

I don't think these 2 parts can be safely separated without dis-configuring one or the other, or possibly causing serious injury to one's self...

Edited by Paul Boratko

This assembly looks even worse than most of the things in this thread. :tongue:

This part is equally as hard to separate...

These come preassembled out of the box (at least they used to), so there is no question about whether they were designed to be taken apart or not.

Gianluca, is there any specific reason you want to separate the parts?

Why would one want to disassemble the 8110 portal axle anyway? The two parts are like two halves of a Technic Turntable:

48452.gif48168.jpg

Not quite. With that, there is actually some times that it is useful to pull the turntable apart, but none at all for the portal axle.

When I made my tower crane, it accidentally fell over while under construction, and the turn table came apart. after that, I just tilted the crane over, and the two halves popped apart quite easily. It was a little bit tricky getting them back together again, but that was mostly because I couldn't actually see it under the crane.

WHY would you want to pull the portal axle apart, except just for the sake of doing it?

48452.gif48168.jpg

Today i manage to separate with two butter knives ant it is very simple and easy to do it without any damage. Tried with screwdriver before but I made very small damage on portal axle housing. Why to separate - to make more narrow wheels track

:devil:

^ You can also use the sharp end of a brick separator - it has a shallow wedge profile which is perfect for popping the bearing out.

Edited by Gnac

How about immersing the assembly in soapy water for a while. Though absolutely no knifes after that as slippery and sharp do not go together.