Derfel Cadarn

A Guide to building a Medieval Village

Just gave this a read-through, will probably go back and read it again. I'm very interested in Medieval builds recently, and will be attempting them when I return to my collection this summer! Thank you so much for this comprehensive and informative guide!

A part 2 will be on its way this year. It will be more of a 'Medieval Builder's Handbook' type thing. Lots of new tips and techniques.

Many thanks

DC

I eagerly await it, Derfel! :moar:

FIrst of all, a thank you for such a great and detailed guide. I'm just getting into medieval MOCs and your comprehensive post has helped me a lot. I can't wait for the sequel :classic:

First of all, I would like to thank you for making this awesome tutorial, it really helped me out and it made me work on my first MOC but there's one problem. I don't have that many bricks to make a very detailed landscape or building and I can't spend a lot of money on buying Lego so what should I do? :cry_sad: Should I start small with vignette's and then later on use those parts in a big MOC, or should I buy tons of secondhand Lego parts so I can start building a big MOC? Because I think it's a waste of time when I build a ''big'' MOC (48x48 studs) while I know that I'm going to take it apart because I can use better techniques when I have more bricks... :sceptic: Thanks for your help.

Edit: Another question! Are you able to make a small house with 1 order of round plates? (200 of each grey and 100 black and brown)

Edited by Dutchy

Another question! Are you able to make a small house with 1 order of round plates? (200 of each grey and 100 black and brown)

Well I made this house using mostly round plates. Extra pieces were just 1 door, 5 windows and roof slopes.

9283320137_b3c9fc4c49_z.jpg

Another question! Are you able to make a small house with 1 order of round plates? (200 of each grey and 100 black and brown)

It depends on the size of your house and how many 1x1 round LBG plates you'll use compared to the other colors. (I think it'll look better with LBG as main colour) You'll run out of 200 LBG grey round plates faster than you might think. I created a small house once with the studs only on two sides of the house and I needed 400+ LBG round plates. And not to mention the black, DBG and brown ones I've put in there. (that would be 200+).

Maybe you should make a plan first. If you know what size the house will be then you can calculate how many round plates you'll need. Keep in mind that 3 stacked round plates is the hight of a brick. If you want to make a wall of 8 bricks high that'll be 24 round plates. That'll be 96 to create a wall of 4 studs wide and 8 studs high.

So! When are we gonna start seeing large scale MOCs of Bree?

I've been thinking about it, not yet bothered to find models/sources. if you have any please PM me or post them here would be great.

And I'll happily oblige.

LOTR%20Bree.JPG

lotro.jpg

the-prancing-pony.jpg

lord_of_the_rings_bree.jpg

lotrenviroponydlrg.jpg

455px-Bree_town.jpg

bree.jpg

bree_from_lotr_by_marq94-d631vy4.jpg

f2dsf2sdfssdfsf.jpg

PrancingPony.jpg

wetaworkshop_08_034.jpg

PrancingPony-port.jpg

Bree_93c.jpg

Some existing Lego MOCs

lord-of-the-rings-legos-town-bree_1309563198.jpg

6152822570_e8bc88ae76_z.jpg

Not really Bree, but inspired by the 10193

00village.jpg

Edited by SheepEater

your tutorial is really amazing - maybe a little bit overwhelming for a newcomer like me, but still very inspiring - hope I will be able to do that myself one day

Just got linked into your tutorial and I am blown away at (a) the amount of detailed shots you have provided and (b) the detailed explanations of how you put things together. Looking at people's creations, without an explanation of building methods you miss the interesting part.

I am very appreciative of the time you took to put this together. Although I am a big Classic Space fan, it makes me want to attempt another genre. Hoarding of extra bulk bricks starts now ;)

Thanks again from Oz.

B

This tutorial was definitely inspiring -

any chance you will make another tutorial in the future? In regard to your most recent builds?

any chance you will make another tutorial in the future? In regard to your most recent builds?

I believe that Defel is publishing his tutorials in Blocks magazine as well as working on a book.

I believe that Defel is publishing his tutorials in Blocks magazine as well as working on a book.

wow!

I would definitely be interested in getting that book! dont like buying magazines if I am just interested in a fraction of it.

Any details regarding that book?

Edited by Andrzej777

Greetings all,

christmasholidays are coming up and i started to build this great structure. I do have a question though, im looking for the part which is located in the upper right corner,the wheel. I have searched bricklink but i cant find it. Does anyone know the part number?

Or, even better, all the part numbers in this picture?

Much appreciated,

greets

erik

6235132273_c2d33e011f (1).jpg

@erikw Though it seems your post in this topic seems acceptably appropriate, it may be better located in the topic "Help with identifying parts/sets!"  
That helps to avoid bumping older topics.

To your request for parts information:

Dish in upper right, center wheels and spokes, spokes brick and plate and bar, axle and spacers, paddle blade and tile and plate and hinge brick

As you use BrickLink more, you will learn what search words to use.  Also, you can search inventories of a set that you know contains that part in order to find how BrickLink categorizes a piece.
An example is the dish in the upper right.  All pieces with a "dish" shape like this are categorized as a "dish" on BL.  For the center wheels, I knew the piece was in the Medieval Market Village set, so I could locate the piece in the set inventory to determine how BL categorized the part.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Slegengr
Formatting

@Slegengr Thank you ! Very much appreciated, you really helped me. Thanks also for pointing me out that this is a dish and not a wheel.