gambort

7777 Redux Contest

I am not familiar with this book, although I have just viewed the images. Why was/is it called the 7777 book?

During the 12-volt era, all train sets were numbered in the 77XX series (individual cars and items were in the 78XX series). The 7777 name was a tribute to this numbering, essentially it stood for the TRAIN-TRAIN book.

Dan-147

Looks like the 12V fans will really appreciate this contest. I'm looking forward to visiting the FlickR group to see the entries. :thumbup:

Looks like the 12V fans will really appreciate this contest. I'm looking forward to visiting the FlickR group to see the entries. :thumbup:

I'm pretty sure Gambort's intention is actually to revisit the train idea book with newer parts, so it should appeal to fans of all systems, 9V RC and PF included. In fact it should be ideal for your style of building since you tend to build in a very 'set-ish' style.

The only real exclusions were locomotives, and the stipulation that they would prefer simpler designs over highly detailed reproductions of real prototypes.

I'm pretty sure Gambort's intention is actually to revisit the train idea book with newer parts, so it should appeal to fans of all systems, 9V RC and PF included.

Yes - thank you for clarifying. I consider this contest sort of a 12V train restoration project with newer parts as the 7777 Idea Book came out during the 12V era. I'm not saying that fans of all eras won't appreciate the contest; but rather that 12V fans (and fans of early LEGO Trains) will most likely appreciate this type of building style.

In any case, I look forward to seeing the entries.

I'm pretty sure Gambort's intention is actually to revisit the train idea book with newer parts, so it should appeal to fans of all systems, 9V RC and PF included. In fact it should be ideal for your style of building since you tend to build in a very 'set-ish' style.

The only real exclusions were locomotives, and the stipulation that they would prefer simpler designs over highly detailed reproductions of real prototypes.

Indeed the idea is to use modern parts and techniques but in a more simple style. We're not expecting people to build close replicas of real things so much as inspirational but LEGOised versions of real things. To copy from the questions thread: I consider Dave Stannard's models to be perfect examples (albeit sometimes with too many rare parts). They, to me, exemplify the sort of builds I'd like to see.

I should add that Peter Norman (Swoofty) is actually responsible for this contest and for the prizes. Unfortunately his work became very busy when we were organising it and I kind of took over.

Yes - thank you for clarifying. I consider this contest sort of a 12V train restoration project with newer parts as the 7777 Idea Book came out during the 12V era. I'm not saying that fans of all eras won't appreciate the contest; but rather that 12V fans (and fans of early LEGO Trains) will most likely appreciate this type of building style.

In any case, I look forward to seeing the entries.

I hope all train fans appreciate it, from blue track to flex track :D

Tim

Edited by gambort

It would be useful to have a PDF of the 7777 instructions; Peeron is overloaded trying to serve all the pages. Is there a PDF available for this competition? (I could also make one from Peeron images, but dont want to walk over copyright issues).

I have some models I was planning anyway so this would be a great opportunity to finish them - assuming I get time.

It would be useful to have a PDF of the 7777 instructions; Peeron is overloaded trying to serve all the pages. Is there a PDF available for this competition? (I could also make one from Peeron images, but dont want to walk over copyright issues).

I have some models I was planning anyway so this would be a great opportunity to finish them - assuming I get time.

Yeah peeron has been very flaky for the last couple of days.

You can download a full good quality PDF here:

http://www.worldbricks.com/lego/lego-instructions/by-number/7700-7799/7777-trains-idea-book.html

http://www.worldbricks.com/lego/lego-instructions/by-number/7700-7799/7777-trains-idea-book.html

Sorry for going slightly off-topic: I have managed to find PDF files of most of the old idea books, but have so far failed with finding "Das grosse Lego buch" nr 239. http://brickfetish.com/ideas/239/239_1968.html

Has anyone seen it scanned somewhere on the web and feel like sharing this information?

Thanks - it brings back many fond memories from many years ago... I have some ideas I wanted to implement and this provides motivation to finish them.... damn more BL orders.

Hi all,

... I hope to see many great contest entries from everywhere. Unlike most contests this one is more readily accessible to people with less building experience.

Tim

Tim,

thank you very much for this contest call. And thanks to the folks who have put a high quality PDF of 7777 online!

I am even more deeply impressed with what TLC has done in the past. I have never had a chance to play with 12V at that time. The booklet is truly amazing. Ideas everywhere - the steam locomotive is breath taking, considering we are talking 1981 here. Wow. The layouts, track side structures, little things - wow. I have to admit, these were the really good'ol days ...

Best regards,

Thorsten

I have a special fondness for 7777. Just before I entered my dark ages I wrote a letter to Lego asking for replacement instructions for my 12v sets, and I left the letter under my bed.

My mother found the letter and sent it off, and I got a reply from Lego saying that they were no longer producing 12v parts, as they were focussing on their new 9v system. they sent me 7777 free as a compromise :D

Oh how I used to dream of that lovely tender engine...

Edited by mr_jrt

I'm certainly participating. :sweet: I'm building the train station in the book. I had a hard time choosing between an upgraded style of the normal LEGO sets or the more elaborate style of the Modular Houses series. In the end I chose something in between.

What an amazing coincidence! I just spent the day building a bridge inspired by one in 7777, but it's a bit too rough and ready to enter.

7777 is the only 77xx item I was lucky enough to own as a kid. Of all Lego, and therefore of all toys, and more or less all physical objects, I have never yearned for anything more than I wanted the 12V train stuff. Unfortunately my wish was never granted because I'd already been given the 182 and some extra blue era sets a few years earlier. So I used to flick through 7777, and the seminal 1982 catalogue, and dream.

Now things are different - I have independent spending power, for starters. I just spent the summer decorating my six year old son's room, which after his long trip away he came back to. The main feature is a set of shelves around the perimeter with space for a double loop of track, roughly 3 x 2.5 m, with an area for a small town next to the top of his platform bed. There's no 12V stuff, as I thought it made more sense to expand his PF collection, although I am using grey 4.5V track in places, with modified flex track used for the transition to PF. One loop is installed so far, and there's a gap in the shelves where the bridge goes.

I just gave him my entire collection of Lego, which was in storage, and he spent the day his own take on stuff in 7777... including a train making use of a few bits from that 182 set... and the trans-red "station" brick featured on the cover.

Our creations are probably going to be a bit too KFOLish to enter into the contest, but I look forward to being inspired by the entries.

Is there anyone who wants to make the models/scenes/photo's, so I can make the book?

Because I like the prizes and making books/magazines/instructions, but I never made any lego train, I don't even have many train pieces :sad:

Edited by legolijntje

Hi all,

I just blogged something relevant to this. If you're planning to build an entry for this contest I suggest you check it out. It seems to me that there's some misinformation floating around over what is an acceptable technical level and I hope this goes some way to clarifying details.

Tim

Thanks for the info. I hope my entry has achieved the kind of entry you want to see. I had a hard time thinking in which style to build it. Like you have said, there's no need for fancy techniques. Something like the modular houses, huge and full of details, didn't seem right to me (and I didn't have the pieces). So I tried to make a building like an official set with play features and a basic colour, only a bit upgraded with more details and without gaps in the walls. :tongue: Good luck to other entrants!

Thanks for the info. I hope my entry has achieved the kind of entry you want to see. I had a hard time thinking in which style to build it. Like you have said, there's no need for fancy techniques. Something like the modular houses, huge and full of details, didn't seem right to me (and I didn't have the pieces). So I tried to make a building like an official set with play features and a basic colour, only a bit upgraded with more details and without gaps in the walls. :tongue: Good luck to other entrants!

I've kept the below general as I avoid commenting on contest entries until the contest is over. So don't be offended that I've ignored the model. It's purposeful :)

For public benefit I will say you've definitely got the idea of what we want for the contest. Fancier than a modern set and looks like it would fit in the 7777 book.

I'll add one other thing: the colours certainly don't have to match with 7777. It's totally awesome having all the new colours for buildings (tan, dark red, sand green etc.) and I'm very happy for people to use them.

Tim

Edited by gambort