Sokratesz

MOC: Large 12V-Era Train Station

For detailed pics of the near-finished product see this post.

I also created a MOCpage for the station, see sig.

Oi!

I finally got enough stuff together to start building something that I've wanted to create for some time now, a large 12v-era train station. I want to use as many parts from sets from that era as possible to give it a suitable '12v' look, and collecting the sets I thought I'd need took a lot of time. I now have in my possession 3x 7824, 1x 7822, 1x 7839, 1x 7866 and misc other parts, which should be enough for a good start!

The idea:

To have 2 tracks in each direction, 3 platforms (one center), a large 'control booth', and misc. other things you'll find at a railway station such as a parking lot, waiting rooms, luggage drop-off, ticket booths, a café and a crossing to get to the other side. All in all it'll probably turn into a larger version of 7824, and in roughly the same style.

I'm not quite sure about the track layout yet, but this is what the first version looks like:

IMG_0666.JPG?m=1313268843

I'll probably aim for a non-symmetrical look later on but this'll do for starters. The middle platform is there for reference, its current size is 3 32*16 plates. A platform of similar size will be added at the bottom and include the main hall, and a smaller platform will be added at the top.

To the far right I will add the electric crossing from 7866, and I've already constructed a larger version of the control booth that will overlook both the railway station and the crossing:

IMG_0667.JPG?m=1313268836

IMG_0668.JPG?m=1313268822

IMG_0670.JPG?m=1313268822

IMG_0669.JPG?m=1313268835

More to be added soon™!

- Sok

I recommend that you put the layout on tables or benches.

The area underneath the tables can be used as storage space, very convenient, this ends up saving a lot of space.

Also, you can run the wires underneath the tables this way. And the trains look much better when you see them up close.

It's always a pleasure to see pictures from this lovely era.

The project seems to be great and the tower looks very nice (a large version of the remote level crossing control room) with that architecture!

I'm waiting for new fantastic pictures!

Keep on!

It's certainly a good start. I'm looking forward to the finished product. Do you run 12v trains only or are you able to use the current PF trains as well? I'm not educated on the 12v stuff and don't know the track dimensions.

I recommend that you put the layout on tables or benches.

The area underneath the tables can be used as storage space, very convenient, this ends up saving a lot of space.

Also, you can run the wires underneath the tables this way. And the trains look much better when you see them up close.

The space you see on the pictures is literally all the space I have. I cannot extend it further left or right without either removing my bed or my desk chair. Maybe I can clear up some space downstairs later on but this will have to do for awhile :hmpf_bad:

To give you an idea:

IMG_0674.JPG?m=1313326406

This picture is taken from the far corner, sitting on the bed. To the right is my desk and lots of boxes with Technic LEGO, and if I close the door I can just sit on the floor patch to the left, building stuff.

It's certainly a good start. I'm looking forward to the finished product. Do you run 12v trains only or are you able to use the current PF trains as well? I'm not educated on the 12v stuff and don't know the track dimensions.

I only have 12v trains but I might try to add PF later, they all have the same gauge and the dimensions of the track parts are similar too. I greatly prefer the style of the old trains to the new ones though.

First attempt at a walkway:

IMG_0672.JPG?m=1313325799

IMG_0671.JPG?m=1313325800

I ran out of fences, so it isn't quite up to modern safety standards yet :laugh: I also changed the track layout a little because I found a different way to make them run parallel after and before the station without introducing offset between the lanes. I'll probably remodel the control booth later today because I'm not satisfied with how it looks yet.

Please note that none of this is set in stone so if you have ideas or comments feel free to reply!

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

Second attempt at control booth and waiting room:

IMG_0681.JPG?m=1313349152

IMG_0683.JPG?m=1313349125

IMG_0684.JPG?m=1313349142

The thing on the bottom is a wall-clock.

IMG_0679.JPG?m=1313349142

IMG_0680.JPG?m=1313349125

I just realised the hinges for the roof should be black also.

I love the pedestrian overpass, it's a nice width and looks smooth and flowing, especially the way it dips down in the middle.

The only thing I'd watch out for is having the points so close to the station - you might get some contact between longer carriages and the platform.

I'd like to build a nice big station one day but I don't have much space either at the moment. Certain people might not be happy if I take over the loungeroom. :tongue:

But yours is looking great so far, nice work!

As you can probably tell I'm hesitant to start on the main building because it is, well, the main building :hmpf_bad:

The only thing I'd watch out for is having the points so close to the station - you might get some contact between longer carriages and the platform.

Good call.

I could also use more ground plating but they are expensive on bricklink so I'm going to try and find a way to work around that. (or maybe just buy another 7824 station as a whole, they're cheap). No updates any more for a few days now, it's thesis time.

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

I like your intention and have been working on the same.

I found some inspiration on the internet which might be valuable.

1. What do you think of these 3 suggestions by my favourite 12v builder Olivier Zacek?
  2. Alternatively, you could be inspired by the suggestion in the train catalogue 7777 (see pages 42-47).

Please keep us posted!

Edited by harnbak

I like your intention and have been working on the same.

I found some inspiration on the internet which might be valuable.

1. What do you think of these 3 suggestions by my favourite 12v builder Olivier Zacek?
  2. Alternatively, you could be inspired by the suggestion in the train catalogue 7777 (see pages 42-47).

Please keep us posted!

I kind of dislike the railway stations posted by Olivier, it looks like he just slaps normal LEGO sets together without much MOCcing. There are some nice suggestions in the 7777 book but they are rather small and look a bit clumsy, never looking as sleek as 7824 IMO.

- Sok.

Beautiful new pictures! I think that station will become a masterpiece: I like the classic color you have used. The stairs architecture is great! Nice to see locomotive on the truck!

I was tempted to order extra fences on bricklink to complete the bridge but I think I'll wait untill I've gotten a bit further with the build and then place one order to get all the missing parts I might need.

Great idea, and I just agree with many others above; the walkway is excellent, the center stair i particular!

Thanks, I guess I'll have to buy the extra fences for it :)

I redid the roof for the middle waiting area, it sits at a fixed angle now because I added hinges on top and I'm very content with the looks:

IMG_0689.JPG?m=1313704499

IMG_0690.JPG?m=1313704500

I also started work on the base of what will eventually be the main entrance (fingers crossed):

IMG_0692.JPG?m=1313704509

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz

I finally found some time to build again. Re-did the main platform and the staircase a few times then started work on the café and adjoining waiting room which turned out quite difficult: I wanted it to be large enough to warrant naming a café yet not so large that it starts domination the whole station.

Café, first attempt:

IMG_0702.JPG?m=1314461129

Front view.

IMG_0695.JPG?m=1314461115

View from entrance / street side.

IMG_0698.JPG?m=1314461129

Close-up of the counter. There is a fancy looking coffee machine and a fridge with ice cream. But then how does the poor cook take his bio-breaks I hear you ask?

IMG_0700.JPG?m=1314461115

The counter has a hinge!

I'd like to make the area behind the counter a bit larger but its difficult to do without making the entire café huge :( I'm also missing a bunch of inverse-sloped bricks or arcs to make the roofing look more authentic but I haven't got any other pieces than the ones shown.

Edited by Sokratesz

Impressive work 'Sokratesz', it totally has that classic town feel to it....keep up the great work, keep going and Brick On ! :classic:

Thanks :) I'll probably re-do the entire café tomorrow, I figured that it does deserve to be quite a bit larger.

More to come soon

- Sok.

That looks promising. Instantly recognizing the influences of the 12V era train stations. I like it.

I always thought the LEGO staions were too small, but I am hesitant to extend them because of the amount of work and space it needs. But it looks like it is worth the effort. Great middle waiting area by the way. Nice use of those hinges.

Can't wait to see more.

Café, second attempt.

It's larger now, but I think it looks better. It's also more spacey and offers a wider view of the rest of the station for its visitors.

IMG_0703.JPG?m=1314543281

Front view. (the outside wall facing the chairs holds the timetable now)

IMG_0704.JPG?m=1314543264

Rear view.

IMG_0706.JPG?m=1314543282

Interior. (Same counter, bit more room for the cook to move around, though his repertoire is still limited to coffee and ice cream)

Directly adjacent to the back of the café is the staircase into the station, opposite the café will be one or two ticket booths and a luggage drop-off, but I'm not really sure if I want this area to have a second floor - it already has a control booth, so what could I use the space for?

- Sok.

Edited by Sokratesz