Pally

New modular building? 10224 Town Hall

Perhaps this town hall might be another corner building like this.....b2388_fmr_north_melbourne_town_hall_cnr_errol_queensberry_sts_large.jpg

Plus there might be connecting points like on the GE too ? :wink:

I would feel that it would just be a 32x32 baseplate design, three floors or less depend how big the public meeting hall is ? :wink:

A police station, I would consider a more future set than fusing it into a town hall.

Just my opinion. :wink:

I hope they don't release a modular police station for a good long while but, can understand what you mean. It would be every bit as awesome as the FB. Although, from an architectural standpoint, a town hall would be just as just good. Besides, who doesn't feel beaten black and blue from all the City PD changing yearly default_laugh2.gif Too bad there isn't a large enough adult market to really make an impact on what sets could actually use a change up default_classic.gif

Edited by Leg Godt Gud

Perhaps this town hall might be another corner building like this.....

Following the pattern so far, every third set is a corner, which means the next will be a side. I think it would work better as a side, anyway... It would be hard to have for a Town Hall to have a grand entrance on the corner, or on a side with 3/4 as much room as a regular modular.

I don't think the Town Hall needs to be bigger than any other modulars... the Pet Shop buildings are quite small and make other sets look bigger. Place them next to the Grand Emporium or a Town Hall and you automatically make these buildings look more looming and important. Just make sure the Town Hall isn't next to the Green Grocer...

Another thing they could do to make it look bigger is extend it a bit further forward than the rest, so that the building takes up a bit more of the pavement, even if just with pillars supporting an overhanging roof. Also, if the Town Hall actually includes a 'hall', i.e. a large empty space, that's a lot of bricks saved that could be used to increase the height or bulk of the building.

Edited by David Thomsen

I hope they don't release a modular police station for a good long while but, can understand what you mean. It would be every bit as awesome as the FB. Although, from an architectural standpoint, a town hall would be just as just good. Besides, who doesn't feel beaten black and blue from all the City PD changing yearly default_laugh2.gif Too bad there isn't a large enough adult market to really make an impact on what sets could actually use a change up default_classic.gif

like you, i also hope it will not be a police station.

firstly, we just had a very rceent police station release.

secondly, i am getting parts for a police station MOC now. :laugh::grin:

Interesting topic... Guess we'll have to wait, but I will surely buy it :cry_happy:

I think this is a great point. Another thing to think about is that town halls are very rarely (never in my own experience, but I know better than to say "never" on the Internet) built as part of a row of joined buildings. Every town hall I've ever seen had a border separating it from the buildings next door. For every modular they've produced so far, it made sense for the structure to be a modular. Town Hall doesn't fit in that scheme.

I'm not saying they wouldn't do it, but it wouldn't really fit in my opinion.

Counterexample: the town halls of Bergen op Zoom, Franeker, Roermond, Sittard, Thorn, to name only a few examples from the Netherlands (thanks internet).

Unfortunately there are many sellers on eBay who sell custom LEGO instructions via digital delivery. They will probably do nothing about it.

I purchased the Town Hall instructions, mainly for the window details (which are wrong, I figured out how Jamie does it if anyone wants to know or see), but I was under the (false) impression the seller had some sort of agreement with Jamie.

The windows look like they are made from this: Trans-Clear Garage Roller Door Section without Handle put into a frame with a large enough gap?

Yikes! I just started a modular traditional-style museum MOC (with front columns, pediment, etc). Looks like I'll have to put that on hold until I see the design of the Town Hall. I don't want it to too closely resemble another modular building on my street :tongue: .

Hey guys!! My son just turned 7 today, and with his interest in lego, I am getting back in the hobby that I loved as a child. I have seen the modular builds, and it is my desire now to build a city. FYI - you can get the grand emporium for about $125.00 free shipping through the TRU latest promo. I had to buy it?? Question. What does SNOT mean? Also, is MOC "my own creation?" I love all your builds, and would love to find instructions from anyone, especially on that cafe and movie theater I saw somewhere. Sorry I bought instructions from this ebay guy.... I had no idea, and still don't know who these names are of people who obviously spend a ton of time building these creations.

Thanks everyone for any help, tips or ideas you may have. I am going for a NY look, have not seen any tall builds yet..

Hey guys!! My son just turned 7 today, and with his interest in lego, I am getting back in the hobby that I loved as a child. I have seen the modular builds, and it is my desire now to build a city. FYI - you can get the grand emporium for about $125.00 free shipping through the TRU latest promo. I had to buy it?? Question. What does SNOT mean? Also, is MOC "my own creation?" I love all your builds, and would love to find instructions from anyone, especially on that cafe and movie theater I saw somewhere. Sorry I bought instructions from this ebay guy.... I had no idea, and still don't know who these names are of people who obviously spend a ton of time building these creations.

Thanks everyone for any help, tips or ideas you may have. I am going for a NY look, have not seen any tall builds yet..

SNOT = Studs not on top

You can find examples of tall buildings on both flickr and brickset by looking for the train club photos or by searching by and event name, such as Brickfair or Brickcon

SNOT = Studs not on top

You can find examples of tall buildings on both flickr and brickset by looking for the train club photos or by searching by and event name, such as Brickfair or Brickcon

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I just got my first shipment from Bricklink today... for the modular restaurant I bought from brickcity depot. Love this stuff.

Thank you for the information. I appreciate it. I just got my first shipment from Bricklink today... for the modular restaurant I bought from brickcity depot. Love this stuff.

If you have a problem and no one else can help, maybe you can hire the A-team look at this topic, the EB-glossary. :wink:

Yikes! I just started a modular traditional-style museum MOC (with front columns, pediment, etc). Looks like I'll have to put that on hold until I see the design of the Town Hall. I don't want it to too closely resemble another modular building on my street :tongue: .

So have I, I really hope that it is in a rare colour and not just because I want more sand red. :tongue:

My museum is very greek inspired and is almost all white so if the town hall is another colour they will not look strange next to each other.

I hope that made sense :tongue:

Just noticed the new 'brick' bricks that are appearing in the new NinjaGo sets in the leaked catalogues. I had trouble picturing what they looked like before, but they are kind of like these bricks:

2877.jpg30136.jpg

But with a 'brick' pattern instead of logs or grills.

As far as I can tell they only have 1x2 size bricks with these patterns so far, so it would be very difficult to make an entire building out of them. Still, I wonder how likely it is that the 'Town Hall' will include these for detail. It's not unknown for the modular buildings to make good use of recently created moulds.

If the 'Town Hall' includes these brick-bricks and the new 2x2 round brick with grill, then I will be extremely pleased.

Naturally, being a responsible Eurobricker, I've asked if he could offer us just a tiny little hint as to what we can expect from the next modular, or even when it'll be out. I'm not really expecting him to answer that, though, but it would be stupid not to ask :)

As they say "God loves a trier" L@ggo and we love you(lol)for trying to get some exclusive info from inside TLC.

Naturally, being a responsible Eurobricker, I've asked if he could offer us just a tiny little hint as to what we can expect from the next modular, or even when it'll be out. I'm not really expecting him to answer that, though, but it would be stupid not to ask :)

I really hope that it is in a rare colour and not just because I want more sand red. :tongue:

Poor Jamie :sweet::-) He must get that a lot. I had a few talks with him while he was at BrickExpo, and he all but promised me a sand red modular, that's what I remember anyway* he said sand red is gone and won't return (though a future similar colour is not impossible). Won't stop me reminding him at every opportunity that I'd like a sand red modular. Obviously he's not able to discuss upcoming sets so no hints were forthcoming, but it's a pretty good guess there will be more modulars. I'm sure Jamie is well aware of what AFOLs want, since they are a significant part of the market for modulars, and he gets to talk to lots of them I imagine.

BTW I had just seen the VW camper video, and tried to talk to him about it. I wasn't aware the video had leaked since it was the official video, and was initially confused when he said "What VW camper?" :-)

* Joke not to be taken seriously.

Just noticed the new 'brick' bricks that are appearing in the new NinjaGo sets in the leaked catalogues. I had trouble picturing what they looked like before, but they are kind of like these bricks:

2877.jpg30136.jpg

But with a 'brick' pattern instead of logs or grills.

As far as I can tell they only have 1x2 size bricks with these patterns so far, so it would be very difficult to make an entire building out of them. Still, I wonder how likely it is that the 'Town Hall' will include these for detail. It's not unknown for the modular buildings to make good use of recently created moulds.

If the 'Town Hall' includes these brick-bricks and the new 2x2 round brick with grill, then I will be extremely pleased.

That is an interesting new block. I am not convinced that it is a 1x1x2, it may be a 1x2x2. Take a close look at it here.

If you look at the new forest police station here

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/TheScooterGuy/Temporary/2012/lego_itp_076.jpg

you can see that they are clearly 1 x 1 x 2 bricks.

Wow, bricks that look like... bricks?

These would add a whole new level of realism to an old-fashioned brick modular building. Maybe, say, a schoolhouse, or a library, or a, oh, I don't know, old town hall? :wink:

I wonder if Lego will offer these for sale through pick-a-brick, or in large quantities in a set. I like them, especially for some added details.

Locutis

Wow, bricks that look like... bricks?

These would add a whole new level of realism to an old-fashioned brick modular building. Maybe, say, a schoolhouse, or a library, or a, oh, I don't know, old town hall? :wink:

I wonder if Lego will offer these for sale through pick-a-brick, or in large quantities in a set. I like them, especially for some added details.

Locutis

I agree that this new brick looks pretty realistic, but I don't really think it is in the "spirit" of the modular buildings. For example, the Fire Brigade achieves a similar "brick wall" effect using modified 1x4 bricks and tiles (I think this looks even better). I would expect the focus to remain on similar "advanced" building techniques rather than the simple use of a new part. Similarly, while the round 2x2 grill brick is great for columns, I still prefer the brick-built columns. A great example can be found on Jamie's town hall creation that is discussed earlier on this thread, and if you go to the LEGO Creator website you can actually watch a video of Jamie describing the building method.

The modular building series offers cool building techniques and a great selection of parts, and that is largely the result of finding novel ways to create realistic objects and surfaces. The widespread use of new parts like this is essentially a shortcut and would take away from the overall experience of a new modular building. Granted, these elements are crucial for cheaper sets aimed at a younger audience, as they can cheaply add detail. I just don't want this to evolve into yet another BURP.

I agree that this new brick looks pretty realistic, but I don't really think it is in the "spirit" of the modular buildings. For example, the Fire Brigade achieves a similar "brick wall" effect using modified 1x4 bricks and tiles (I think this looks even better). I would expect the focus to remain on similar "advanced" building techniques rather than the simple use of a new part. Similarly, while the round 2x2 grill brick is great for columns, I still prefer the brick-built columns. A great example can be found on Jamie's town hall creation that is discussed earlier on this thread, and if you go to the LEGO Creator website you can actually watch a video of Jamie describing the building method.

The modular building series offers cool building techniques and a great selection of parts, and that is largely the result of finding novel ways to create realistic objects and surfaces. The widespread use of new parts like this is essentially a shortcut and would take away from the overall experience of a new modular building. Granted, these elements are crucial for cheaper sets aimed at a younger audience, as they can cheaply add detail. I just don't want this to evolve into yet another BURP.

While I agree with you for a building in general, your point taken in reference to the Fire Brigade. However, using the new 'brick' brick would add a new realism for the grey "structure" bricks in the first couple of layers of a building. Yes, you can achieve a nice brick look using the 1x4 with some tiles placed SNOT, I think for the "basement" or cellar level the dark blue-grey with these brick patterns in them would add some depth that would differentiate itself from the remainder of the building using a different technique. I think if you combined the two techniques, you would have a nicer looking building than just one technique or style over another. Kind of like how the grille bricks are used on buildings like the Market Street to add texture and differential detail to the building. I think in this way, you could add this same type of different details to a building which you could not have achieved before.

I can't wait until I can get my hands on a few hundred of these!

Locutis

I just think its a lost opportunity not to put a different pattern on the opposite side, just like the grille bricks. Two for the price of one, what's not to love?