Stefanwest

Rumor that PF Maybe Going Away

Went to my local lego shop to look at legos. (I do this once a week). Was talking to an employee there and she told me that a Lego rep came and said Lego was disappointed with how PF trains are working out and that a new system was coming. Anyone else hear about that or is it just wishful thinking.

Edited by Stefanwest

I haven't heard that and I guess it is not true. They recently changed from RC to PF and with PF they have integrated both technic and trains so... I don't think it will go away for some years. LEGO trains used to have a cycle of about 10 years.

One can only hope.

Edit: before anyone gets on my case about it, while I've never been a big fan of PF, I understood completely why they switched... it just seems they could have done so much better and had the best of both worlds... once again, it takes AFOLs to show up LEGO on how to combine PF and electric rail to get the usability of PF with the convenience of electric rail. Of course, LEGO is not a model train company, and I don't expect that, if they change from PF, that it will be something that is actually better than PF or 9/12V.

Edited by fred67

I am sure this debate gets heated so I won't try and fan the flames but I find PF impressive technology and very good for my setup. I enjoy having multiple trains share the tracks and being able to coordinate their positions and have them wait for each other at switches.

The big question is what would they replace it with ? :sceptic:

Go backwards to 1980's technology, I know many of you have the older systems but toys like everything else move forward with technology.

Perhaps, newer drive wheels, or a better way of maintaining traction.....I don't know but I think this topic is going to be one of those can of worms being opened up.

Though I wish for PF gear, RC is not the best for trains. :blush:

They might switch for something like DCC (used in model railroading).

But this would cost a lot more than PF or 9v...

Let's see, LEGO sometimes surprises us!

If it is true, which I sincerely doubt, it will not be a system like normal model trains. The entire reason for switching to PF was to move away from a toy that plugs into the wall to be played with. In the US, and even younger in the EU, toys that plug into the wall to operate have a minimum age requirement by law which is older than LEGO's target 6-12 market. In the US I believe it is 8 years old, and in the EU I'm told it is far older (like 10 or 12).

LEGO moved to the PF system because it became a toy that could be legally marketed to 6 year olds, the lower limit to their target LEGO System market.

So whatever replaces PF, whenever and whatever that is, it won't be DCC, it won't be 9v, and it won't resemble either.

--Tony

If it is replaced I would like to see all the technology crammed into the motor so all I need is the motor, battery pack and RC.

That would be an interesting development for Lego to move away from PF. PF's seem to be somewhat successful, as I was unable to get the Maersk train for a few weeks at the local LEGO store because it was so popular and the Passenger train in the US has recently been on back order. The newest PF train motor is also on back order until September. I can't remember the last time there were 6 trains available at the same time and there is also the new Cargo/Repair train coming out in the near future.

I also enjoy the PF system, as I don't have to worry about wires and regulators.

I'd doubt it, but I would not mind if they replaced it with a system with as much technical detail as the 12v era had.

My guess is that the sales person heard something like the PF cargo train is being changed; and perhaps the PF passenger train is not doing so well... and from that the PF is removed.

I would be very surprised if PF is removed after all the time spent integrating the product lines... what I could see is a slightly upgraded version (think RCX --> Mindstorms) where more channels becomes available (4 for a railroad model is a limit, same as with the big technic lines), and it could also be named something slightly different, but I doubt the underlying modularity concepts will change much.

A DCC implementation would be great, but as pointed out by Sava, that will cause a change in the target audience (although Marklin clearly can sell DCC models throughout europe). To be fair though, most younger children like the 'push and play' scenario much more than the 'remote control' (which comes online at a later age) - so perhaps we will see more of the 'push' and 'upgrade with components' type models? ... but even then Emerald Night and Maersk sell well.

Whatever they do if they're not making great additions to the train range as they did in the 80's then they're not getting it IMO.

I prefer 12V but that's only because of the complete playability of it. PF had that potential but they haven't grasped it. Trying to make a switch track is OK but gee it costs a lot to do it for each one. Requires a battery box + parts + motor + RF. 12V train switches sell for between $40 - $80 depending on condition. If PF costs so much more to get up in this case than 12V then they've failed.

I know this is a small example but I feel that it illustrates the point.

'roamingstudio' said it best, kids push the trains themselves and it's as we get older we want electrical power trains. I have witnessed it for myself at train show I did in April.

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

'roamingstudio' said it best, kids push the trains themselves and it's as we get older we want electrical power trains. I have witnessed it for myself at train show I did in April.

Brick On everyone ! :grin:

I'm not sure how the 9V/12V do with kid-pushing but the current PF train motor does very well being shoved around the track by my two year old.

The Emerald Night motor? Not so much.

The second question is: could Lego give up, after only two years, with this new technology used also for Technic brand? :hmpf_bad:

I doubt they have made back the R&D cost yet..but hey, they did a shitty job on PF R&D because it has so much unfulfilled potential. I would like to see sales # on their prime sets of the past few decades..

To be fair, as down as I am on PF, it's not really PF itself - it's how you get power to the motors or receivers. I've only ever had terrible experiences with rechargeable batteries. I'm a lot happier with the AAA battery packs... but I use the trains sporadically, so proper storing (even of regular batteries) is annoying, and seems wasteful replacing 6 AA or AAA batteries at a time.

You do NOT need DCC to get the benefits of PF with powered rail; some people are doing it already, using powered rail to charge the battery even.

I realize there's all these laws about powered toys for kids... a fine example of too much government interference, IMO; some blanket policy likely due to something other than trains. Batteries are a LOT more wasteful than pulling electric from a wall socket in both energy usage and cost, and batteries are a lot less environmentally friendly. I just wish there was a better way to power the devices; if TLG could just release a 9 or 12V pickup for "older" "kids" in addition to batteries, it would be a lot better. Certainly parents might opt to get that system for their children, but then it's their decision, not the government's.

Maybe its just as someone alluded to.. in that PF being included in sets will go away and they will just be separately available. That wouldn't be so bad, especially if they made a single kit to add the parts to a non-PF train set rather than having to buy each part.

To be fair, as down as I am on PF, it's not really PF itself - it's how you get power to the motors or receivers. I've only ever had terrible experiences with rechargeable batteries. I'm a lot happier with the AAA battery packs... but I use the trains sporadically, so proper storing (even of regular batteries) is annoying, and seems wasteful replacing 6 AA or AAA batteries at a time.

Would something like the control center-II be too much asked for PF? :D

anyway, the lack of remote controlled switches should make people think about something...

I'm not saying that I think that lego is going to give up with PF, but for sure they are thinking about a way to improve what they have in production.

right now, even if I still have to make my definitive layout, from what I have been able to test, I like PF like it is, but honestly I would like to see a more compact battery box and, of course, remote switches like in the golden 12v era.

have a nice train lego day

mrBlue

... where more channels becomes available (4 for a railroad model is a limit, same as with the big technic lines) ...

But in theory we have already 8 channels. The "new" firmware V1.10 (TLC documentation says it was released November 28, 2009 - one and a half years ago!) has all what is needed to do that. Why was that not advertised like crazy? The firmware is documented; does any of the new PF receivers feature that? Is there a remote capable of generating the appropriate IR codes? The HiTechnic IR Link for the NXT can do that very well, but that is way over the top. Why on Earth do they make such a fuzz on expanding the address range and then - silence - nothin?

I mean with 8x2 channels, I guess even train junkies should get along. Over at the Technic forum they play around with all 4x2 channels and I guess they are very happy. 8x2 channels would be sort of an overkill for them, who wants to control 16 motors at the same time from what type of power source?

It is very, very weird. PF is the way to go. TLC should just add a power pickup for train junkies and there we go.

Regards,

Thorsten

... who wants to control 16 motors at the same time ... PF is the way to go.

I am personally wondering who may wants to control 8 trains at the same time! even in a big layout, running 8 trains at the same time and avoid collisions would be a big challenge!

ok, you may have 10, 20, 50 PF trains parked, but you still can turn them on and off, and use those you need at the same time. kfol or afol, it still is lego, it still is a toy!

I also think that PF is the good direction, but still need some extras!

have a nice PF train lego day

mrBlue

edit: spelling check

Edited by mrblue

I am personally wondering who may wants to control 8 trains at the same time! even in a big layout, running 8 trains at the same time and avoid collisions would be a big challenge!

esp if they don't all fit on your layout :grin:

not if one would have an auto pilot option...

Hehe,

but we could also do some remote control of switch points as well. Sooo, with all that at hand I can see myself running four trains w/o autopilot (ok, ok, it is a challenge; control 8 switch points :sweet: , and ... switch on and off the light of a couple of buildings.

Totally agreed: Even with 4 trains running on the same stretch of track: Good luck.

But other things on a layout want some attention as well. We apparently have 16 channels. That does is for me.

Best wishes,

Thorsten