*UPDATED May 21, 2014! Click HERE to jump to the post and see the updated version!

14234288364_4f3832ef58_z.jpg

Support this project on Lego Ideas: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/937

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The post about the 2nd Revision can be found HERE.

9611883538_c8114e0c12_z.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original version below:

5502018344_e0d38a0f27_z.jpg

This is my first MOC as an AFOL. While waiting in line at one of my favorite food trucks here in Los Angeles, it dawned on me that the food truck would be the perfect choice for my first MOC. As I stared at the food truck in front of me, I started imagining how the details of the truck could be translated into Lego.

For the past 3 weeks, I've been working on this vehicle, solving problems, adding details, and making the build as efficient as possible. My goal was to make it in the style of official sets while adding as much detail as I could. Hence, it is 6-wide and uses the wheels and mudguards seen on most official sets. I was very tempted to go 8-wide since that would have made things a lot easier, but I like a challenge.

5502016968_dbaa56124d_z.jpg

Above is the food-serving side of the truck. It has a large panel that can swing upwards to reveal a counter and a serving window. The silver 1x1 round plate is a handle so the door can be lifted easily (without it, it is really difficult to open since the panel is flush with the wall). The 2x4 light bley tile is for the menu.

5501424059_a2c0a5b276_z.jpg

This is what I call "the boring side" of the truck. It's not really boring, but it is a bit plain. I tried to add as much detail as I could. There's a fuel tank panel and some vents. I also added that ridge, though I wish I could continue it down the entire length of the truck. The door is one of the things that bugs me the most. Unfortunately Lego doesn't make a door in quite the style seen on these trucks. I was debating whether to have a door at all.

The back of the truck is one of the first things I worked on. Those vents are one of the most distinctive things about a food truck, so I knew that if I couldn't get that to look right, I might as well not do it.

5501425279_e9dfaf28fc_z.jpg

Here's the serving side with the panel open. The display area was inspired by a similar display in the Winter Village Bakery set. There's also hot water and coffee dispensers on the right. Oh, and say "hi" to the chef!

5502019298_5ea37a7309_z.jpg

The skylights are another detail that help make a food truck a food truck. This build was inspired by the roof door of the Fire Brigade modular building. Now if only Lego made those glass pieces in trans blue, it'd be perfect! C'mon Lego, make me happy!

You can take off the skylights to access the cooking area of the truck. I tried to make it as easy as possible to remove, but it can be a little difficult.

5502019776_fc0077a1d6_z.jpg

Here's the best shot I could get of the cooking area. I had to remove a bit of the walls to get a clear shot, but you can see that this truck is equipped with a stove, oven, grill, sink, cabinet, shelf, and a place to hang a frying pan.

5502020152_a7a3d1ac75_z.jpg

"I'll take one brickwurst, please."

"That'll be one hundred bucks."

The counter is a little high, but I think it still works.

5501427019_d14cdc6df7_z.jpg

Here's a quick height comparison to the bus from the City Public Transport Station set. I think the truck fits in rather well.

5502016292_4c68c511a1_z.jpg

That's it! Hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed my first MOC! Now to think about what I'll do next!

Also at MOC Pages!

Edited by SpacySmoke

Very impressive MOC SpaceySmoke, especially for your first one. :thumbup: I really like the details you’ve packed inside, which are very realistic and typical of food trucks. The photos and presentation are very nice too. Can't wait to see what you have next. :wink:

Brilliant van, SpacySmoke! I love the roof and the interior a lot, and I think it's really cool how the side lifts up like a real van. I'm very surprised that this is your first MOC, as I've built loads and I still can't build as good as you! Well done, and thanks for sharing.

This is really good, with all those details. I like it very much, it's very hard to make an interior as good as yours in a 4-wide space. Great job!

Wow, you're a genius :thumbup:

The detail on this truck is fab, I never thought about a food truck, an ice cream truck yeah but this is just awesome, one thing you missed though is ketchup and mustard :classic: ya gotta have ketchup and mustard on your $100 hotdog.

It's a great idea and you've executed it wonderfully. It was interesting to read about the progression and problem solving as it helps me understand better (not really a truck kinda gal), so thank you for that, and I absolutely agree with KielDaMan that the photos and presentation really help us appreciate what you've done. The details inside the van are lovely and it took me a few looks to spot the driver in the front :sweet:

Thanks for sharing, I'd love to see more :thumbup:

That's a nice piece of work. It looks very professional.

I like it how managed to put everything in the cooking area that should be there. The scale is also good.

Excellent vehicle and an excellent idea....a snack bar on wheels ! :thumbup:

Perfect for a country fair or football match, the interior is what makes this MOC rock.

The outside actually needs some stickering, like advertising and a menu.....I do like the stove and that the frypan can sit in there firmly.

Your first MOC eh ? I'm impressed.....I also look forward to seeing more from you 'SpacySmoke' and Brick On ! :grin:

This one brings back memories - I had one of these food trucks as a toy when I was a kid. Needless to say, I definitely enjoyed your rendition - it's obvious that you've put in a lot of work and the end result is very sweet. Keep up the good work, you're off to a great start in terms of AFOL MOCcing, can't wait to see your next projects!

I admire your dedication to making this look like an official set, great job! I tend to go nuts with detail and making it modular, and adding laser cannons... :D You did great for 6-wide, surprised I like this so much since I'm mostly a fan of wider widths.

I could tell what most of the details were, even without things like a sticker for the menu, that shows you did an excellent job and that I eat out of lunch trucks waaaaaaay too much.

And hello neighbor :) (I'm in Hollywood) What lunch truck inspired this MOC? I want to pay them a visit because they must have good food!

How about trying to build Pink's on Western and 3rd? The place is small enough that you could design it in LDD and not break the bank if you decide to buy the pieces.

@CptMugwash: If I had to guess, I would say the two gray 2921's on the right side could be condiment dispensers.

Edited by DrNightmare

TACO TRUCK! that reminds me of the Taco Truck I used to get tacos from, Taco Loco!

This is a very nice MOC for being your first as a returning AFOL. Good work! :classic:

How did you get back into the hobby?

Great! All those many nice details... :thumbup: I've been thinking to build one myself since it might be a nice addition to my city (once it grows a little more), but I don't think it would've got anywhere near the quality of yours...

But I wouldn't park it in front of the Fire Brigade, blocking the exit isn't a good idea in case of a fire alarm. ;)

*snip*

@CptMugwash: If I had to guess, I would say the two gray 2921's on the right side could be condiment dispensers.

*snip* There's also hot water and coffee dispensers on the right. *snip*

If you could put the coffee and hot water dispensers on the back rather than front and put some condiment dispensers in front that might work, also is there a real photo to compare the two? :classic:

Excellent MOC! It is highly detailed and looks nice. It would fit in in most Lego cities. :classic:

Extremely well done. :thumbup:

~buddy~

I don't really US style 'food trucks'. It's not very similar to your average burger van you;d see in the UK for instance. I love the amount of detail you managed to cram into the interior though.

Cheers,

Ralph

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

The outside actually needs some stickering, like advertising and a menu.....

I was debating whether or not to wait and make some stickers before I posted it, but I got anxious! I'll get around to it and post the results.

And hello neighbor :) (I'm in Hollywood) What lunch truck inspired this MOC? I want to pay them a visit because they must have good food!

How about trying to build Pink's on Western and 3rd? The place is small enough that you could design it in LDD and not break the bank if you decide to buy the pieces.

Sweet! I'm in Gardena. This was originally based on the Kogi taco truck (www.kogibbq.com), but the design ended up being a combination of many different taco trucks. I tried to incorporate the details that seemed most common. Pink's is a good idea! The look and size would fit in well in a Lego town.

How did you get back into the hobby?

I'm a Star Wars fan (I think I recognize some people here from the Rebelscum forums) and I've been buying Star Wars lego off and on since they started making them. Last year I asked my wife to get me the new Slave I for my birthday and things just sort of spiraled out of control from there. At first, it was just the new Star Wars sets, but then I saw the Toys R Us truck and the awesome small car and I thought I'd just pick up a few of the City sets to see how they were. Needless to say, I was impressed with what Lego was doing and I ended up buying nearly every 2010 City set. Series 2 minifigures came out around that time and I got caught up in that frenzy. The sales at the end of the year didn't help either; from there I got into Space Police (which I really like) and then some Power Miners (ok) and Castle/Kingdoms (not bad). For the most part I'm a City and Star Wars type of guy though.

But I wouldn't park it in front of the Fire Brigade, blocking the exit isn't a good idea in case of a fire alarm. ;)

Haha! I thought about that when I was taking the pictures. Surely it's illegal to block the entrance to a fire station! Unfortunately it's my only modular building, and i wanted a nice looking sidewalk in the pics.

If you could put the coffee and hot water dispensers on the back rather than front and put some condiment dispensers in front that might work, also is there a real photo to compare the two? :classic:

I may put condiment dispensers in the back, but the coffee and hot water dispensers are usually built into the counter area itself, so I think they should stay at the front.

Here's some photos of the Kogi truck (not my photos).

kogi01.jpg

kogi02.jpg

Ah, so that's the truck eh ? :wink:

You know what stickers you got to make now don't you 'SpacySmoke' and it will look AWESOMW when you do ! :grin:

Thank you everyone for the kind comments!

I was debating whether or not to wait and make some stickers before I posted it, but I got anxious! I'll get around to it and post the results.

*snip*

I'm a Star Wars fan (I think I recognize some people here from the Rebelscum forums) and I've been buying Star Wars lego off and on since they started making them. Last year I asked my wife to get me the new Slave I for my birthday and things just sort of spiraled out of control from there. At first, it was just the new Star Wars sets, but then I saw the Toys R Us truck and the awesome small car and I thought I'd just pick up a few of the City sets to see how they were. Needless to say, I was impressed with what Lego was doing and I ended up buying nearly every 2010 City set. Series 2 minifigures came out around that time and I got caught up in that frenzy. The sales at the end of the year didn't help either; from there I got into Space Police (which I really like) and then some Power Miners (ok) and Castle/Kingdoms (not bad). For the most part I'm a City and Star Wars type of guy though.

*snip*

I may put condiment dispensers in the back, but the coffee and hot water dispensers are usually built into the counter area itself, so I think they should stay at the front.

Mmm, can't wait to see what it looks like with the stickers on.

It sounds like you've got an addiction, I have a tendency to go nuts too, join the club, Legoholics Annonymous :laugh: lol I got an image of AFOLs sitting in a circle,

Me: "Hi my name is Jack and I'm a Legoholic."

Group: "Welcome Jack, the first step is to admitting you have a problem."

Me: "Problem? I don't have a problem :look: I thought there'd be some lego here, see yas"

:grin:

I didn't reallise the coffee and hw would be in the front, our food trucks are different here across the pond :classic:

Edited by CptMugwash

Great job on the food truck. Reminds me of the french fries trucks we have around here. Parking in front of the fire station is handy in case the grease catches fire. :classic: