Sign in to follow this  
slopemodified

Ocean wave

I created this ocean wave recently and would like some feedback on it. I was inspired by I Scream Clone's wonderful "Life's A Beach" scene with the very nice collectible minifigs. :wub:

I'm guessing this topic belongs in town, because of the diving sets and seaside MOCs I've seen in this theme. If it perhaps belongs somewhere else, let me know.

So anyway, this involved a lot of repetitive building in a pattern.

5478321009_7fe3766782_z.jpg

Ocean wave 1

As you can see, the wave is composed of 1x1 round bricks and 1x2 plates, and curves into the tube shape. :look:

5478921038_d14600a9a1_z.jpg

Ocean wave 2

I would like to improve the look of the water at the base of the wave. Do you have any ideas?

5478321759_deb22f982a_z.jpg

Ocean wave 3

I think the design has great potential for other creations.

Thank you for looking. :classic:

Interesting technique to make the wave/shape. Might also be used for other things. If you could put some transparent bricks, it might give a more "water feeling" to the wave.

wow, it looks like the real deal. Do you build it curved, or do you curve it afterwards by bending it?

That is certainly a very effective technique, well done. Imagine a tidal wave :oh: that would be an awesome moc, I'm not being insensitive or anything I just think in lego this would be awesome, imagine boats caught in the wave half way up, bits of harbour churned up and buildings partially submerged.

How did you connect it to the baseplate?

Hello!

Great movements caught in a bricked scene! The jumping dolphin is a nice addition as well. :classic:

Cheers,

~ Christopher

That's a very nice ocean wave scene slopemodified, an interesting take on ISC's original brickbuilt wave and still having your unique flavor to it. Good work! :thumbup:

Thank you for all of your comments! I feel that this creation was truly inspired! I will be getting more parts and intend to build new versions! :classic:

Nice wave. Would some curve bow bricks work for the base?

Do you mean this part? In what way would you position them? Will have to see about finding some.

2626.gif

Interesting technique to make the wave/shape. Might also be used for other things. If you could put some transparent bricks, it might give a more "water feeling" to the wave.

YES! :sweet: Transparent colours! I am getting those parts in and will build a wave just in trans-dark blue or trans-light blue! :wub:

wow, it looks like the real deal. Do you build it curved, or do you curve it afterwards by bending it?

I did build it curved at first, but the structure is flexible, so it can be curved any time! :grin:

That is certainly a very effective technique, well done. Imagine a tidal wave :oh: that would be an awesome moc, I'm not being insensitive or anything I just think in lego this would be awesome, imagine boats caught in the wave half way up, bits of harbour churned up and buildings partially submerged.

Tidal wave? I'm also thinking of building a tsunami! :laugh: But your idea sounds great! Like a scene from "Deep Impact" "Day After Tomorrow" or "The Perfect Storm" :devil:

Edited by slopemodified

(snip)

Instead of 1x1 rounds at the base, I used the back of headlight bricks to connect it to the baseplate.

If there are any alternatives to this, I'd love to hear about it and experiment.

I was thinking more like these. Strange, Pick A Brick calls them brick bow. Perron calls them slope brick curved.

50950.png

This is a great MOC, I like it :) However, since you were asking for comments: If i were you, I'd build the white bricks randomly scattered INTO the wave, and I'd attach a smaller wave to the left to give the wave a more jagged/folding feel.

However, It's great this way too, it has some stilized (lego) feel to it.

I was thinking more like these. Strange, Pick A Brick calls them brick bow. Perron calls them slope brick curved.

50950.png

Ah yes, I see what you mean with that part. I could mix it up with the other ones to give it a... undulating look. Thanks for that!

This is a great MOC, I like it :) However, since you were asking for comments: If i were you, I'd build the white bricks randomly scattered INTO the wave, and I'd attach a smaller wave to the left to give the wave a more jagged/folding feel.

However, It's great this way too, it has some stilized (lego) feel to it.

Yes, I will try scattering white bricks into it. I would like to widen it, so hopefully I can have waves of different sizes. Thank you for your comment.