getting one of these for xmas just wondering which is better all round and a must have for a new large set,all comments welcome!

im talking about the 8043 with new actuators so no need for complaining about older type as ill have a new set with new actuators,

iv heard the truck will become discontinued soon and the excavator will be on the shelfs for a long time yet,

also what do people think the top 3-4 models this year 2010 are just out of interest?

getting one of these for xmas just wondering which is better all round and a must have for a new large set,all comments welcome!

im talking about the 8043 with new actuators so no need for complaining about older type as ill have a new set with new actuators,

iv heard the truck will become discontinued soon and the excavator will be on the shelfs for a long time yet,

Both are "must haves", but if I had to choose I think I'd pick the 8258.

if you are going with 8258, then i believe that the lego online store has the best price for it

The 8258 was the flagship of 2009 and the 8043 is the flagship of 2010 - so if you still can buy 8258 now, my guess will be that you still can buy 8043 next christmas. It may be even longer on the shelves than normal, because of the new edition...

The 8258 was the flagship of 2009 and the 8043 is the flagship of 2010 - so if you still can buy 8258 now, my guess will be that you still can buy 8043 next christmas. It may be even longer on the shelves than normal, because of the new edition...

Yes i know what u mean but i just think the excavator is more exciting for some reason,Id love both if i had the money but that wont happen for xmas i think,Has anyone got both,the crane on the truck doesnt look that impressive or have much functions twords the excavator?Also i have the new haul truck 8264 and i think the excavator would match up well beside it ;)

I think 8043 is definitely the better model, but 8258 is a better deal and gives you more for your money.

If you want both eventually, get 8258 now, as it probably won't be easily available for much longer. There used to be a time when the flagship Technic models were still available for 3 or 4 years after release, but these days they can be discontinued in less than a year, depending on the country.

Buy 8258 first, then 8043 as next. 8258 - fantastic wheels, switch, xl motor, battery box, panels, lots of gears, new gear racks (1x13), couple of new technic frames, many liftarms and some very useful parts. 8043 - new set, so you can buy it in 2011. It has 2 x IR Recievers, 2 x IR Remote Controllers, 4 M Motors, Panels, BBox, and some useful parts. I got both, and i can say - both of them are must have.

I bought the 8258 last year, it's ok but I think the crane struggles (especially swivel). Also it has the old LAs which I presume have issues.

I bought the 8043 this year and it's so good that I actually bought two! :D

It depends on what you want to do with the model:

1) Build it and have it on a shelf? Then it's a tie, they both look good and are equally fun to build (but the 8258 was more fun building the chassis, then it dropped in building-fun. The 8043 was fun all the way).

2) Build it and play with it? 8043 wins hands down, much more play value!

3) Use it for parts? Depends on what parts you need and what color you prefer... I use all my sets as part packs (after I've built and perhaps played a little (8258) - or a lot (8043)). 8258 has the XL motor but 8043 has four M motors. 8258 has the switch but 8043 has loads of RC stuff. 8043 has more LAs and they're of the upgraded kind. 8258 has great wheels and 8043 has loads of treads. Compare the inventories: 8258 | 8043

But if you want both then 8258 is more urgent since it'll disappear sooner...

Here in Sweden there is a big christmas-discount on the 8043 in some stores but not on the 8258, this might be a factor to consider.

I have both and to be honest I was disappointed with 8258.

Sure, it's big and the gear box is innovative but that's all. The crane itself is lame and boring.

If you want high play value there is no doubt to prefer 8043.

You will have fun for many, many hours.

Definatly the 8053.

I have one and like it alot. The Technical part is really impressive and it looks good too.

The lack of wheels is easily made up for by the amount of gears and other pieces. Let alone, the actuators, motors, IR, the lot.

As a bonus it is fun to operate as well :laugh:

AND you get 4 motors, two IR remote control + receiver sets!

Though I don 't own the 8258, I think its a no-brainer really..

Edited by bord4kop

also what do people think the top 3-4 models this year 2010 are just out of interest?

You can see ratings here: http://www.brickset.com/search/?theme=Technic&year=2010

4.6 8043 Motorized Excavator

4.4 8051 Motorbike

4.2 8047 Compact Excavator

Since brickset.com don't allow sorting on the grade here are the Technic sets that has 4.5 or higher from all years:

8421 Mobile Crane 4.8

8458 Silver Champion 4.8

8466 4X4 Off-Roader 4.8

8275 Motorized Bulldozer 4.7

8480 Space Shuttle 4.7

8860 Car Chassis 4.7

8880 Super Car 4.7

8043 Motorized Excavator 4.6

8265 Front Loader 4.6

8445 Indy Storm 4.6

8455 Back-Hoe 4.6

8460 Pneumatic Crane Truck 4.6

8504 Jet 4.6 (Slizer / Throw Bot)

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig 4.6

851 Tractor 4.5

8258 Crane Truck 4.5

8285 Tow Truck 4.5

8448 Super Street Sensation 4.5

8459 Pneumatic Front-End Loader 4.5

8520 Millennium Slizer 4.5 (Slizer / Throw Bot)

8522 Spark 4.5 (Slizer / Throw Bot)

You can see ratings here: http://www.brickset.com/search/?theme=Technic&year=2010

4.6 8043 Motorized Excavator

4.4 8051 Motorbike

4.2 8047 Compact Excavator

Since brickset.com don't allow sorting on the grade here are the Technic sets that has 4.5 or higher from all years:

8421 Mobile Crane 4.8

8458 Silver Champion 4.8

8466 4X4 Off-Roader 4.8

8275 Motorized Bulldozer 4.7

8480 Space Shuttle 4.7

8860 Car Chassis 4.7

8880 Super Car 4.7

8043 Motorized Excavator 4.6

8265 Front Loader 4.6

8445 Indy Storm 4.6

8455 Back-Hoe 4.6

8460 Pneumatic Crane Truck 4.6

8504 Jet 4.6 (Slizer / Throw Bot)

8868 Air Tech Claw Rig 4.6

851 Tractor 4.5

8258 Crane Truck 4.5

8285 Tow Truck 4.5

8448 Super Street Sensation 4.5

8459 Pneumatic Front-End Loader 4.5

8520 Millennium Slizer 4.5 (Slizer / Throw Bot)

8522 Spark 4.5 (Slizer / Throw Bot)

I think ill go for the excavator for now,does it work well with the new linear actuators or is there much of a differance,also has many on here went for the 11.1v battery mod?I still would love to get my hands on a 8868 from 1992,has anyone ever seen one still new in box?

I think ill go for the excavator for now,does it work well with the new linear actuators or is there much of a differance,also has many on here went for the 11.1v battery mod?I still would love to get my hands on a 8868 from 1992,has anyone ever seen one still new in box?

Hi,

I can't see someone from 1992 having this item in the box :) unless he works for LEGO archives - they do have such a things...

There are on bricklink a few people that sell this set with the original box in good condition, but all of them are opened boxes...

Thanks,

Noam

8258 is easily the one I would pick, regaurdless of when it is being discontinued. IMHO it's the only set where I was happy with TLG using LAs instead of pneumatics.

Edited by allanp

Get the 8258, primary reason being that it will be dicontinued sooner and is an absolutely awesome model.

I own both and i gotta say my vote for which is better goes to the 8258. It has a lot more pieces and the size of it is incredible along with playvalue that is not that dependant on 100% fresh batteries. After i built the 8043 i felt kinda like, was that it? Don't get me wrong, 8043 is by far the second best build i had and playvalue is also top notch but the size leaves me cold, i need size and from what i can tell it is the smallest flagship in a long time. Another very good thing with the 8258 is that it is the best source of the new gear racks and those technic frames so as parts cache it's worth it's weight in gold, but then again the 8043 has the 2 IR receivers and 4 m-motors so i guess it's up to what one needs. I needed them both as in really craved for them so i'm glad now that i have them :D

Edited by Ultimario

8258 is the best parts pack in ages, and I thought it was a great build. I don't own a 8043 (yet) so I con't compare them very well. I just think 8258 is great and I think it is somewhat underrated.

It has less Power functions elements but it has 500 more parts, so it depends on what you want to do.

If you want a play set, pick 8043.

If you want a parts pack with lots LOTS of basic parts, get 8258.

If you want some of the new 2010 parts, get 8043.

If you want a good looking model, pick any you like.

If you want a large model, pick 8258.

If you want a technically complex model, pick any you like.

8258 is the best parts pack in ages

Yes, I think 8258 has a better and more balanced selection of parts, especially considering that it's $50 cheaper (in the US).

Hi,

I can't see someone from 1992 having this item in the box :) unless he works for LEGO archives - they do have such a things...

They still come up on ebay every now and then. I think the last one I saw went for $350, which is decent by the standards of these MISB sets. :tongue: The flagship sets like 8868 will always be like this, but I think the prices of old Technic sets in general have actually dropped in the last few years. I have gotten some unopened ones lately for less than the original prices.

This is quite a tough decision.

I purchased the 8258 and have just recently purchased the 8043..

The 8258 definitely has more parts and makes for a great way of increasing your parts count. It has a turntable, a couple actuators, XL motor, and a lot of those new gear racks and rectangular frames.. It also has a lot of red panels which is cool. All in all, BIG set, LOTS of pieces

The 8043 has a lot PF parts which is nice if you don't already have any. It also has a turntable, four actuators, four M Motors (YEAH THAT'S A LOT!), and the tracks. That was a big reason for me buying it. I needed more motors and receivers but also wanted to get my hands on some tracks.. They are my first ones.. All in all, specialized parts.. PF!! Tracks!

Depending on how many lego sets you already have I will give you two suggestions.

If you have a lot of legos then go ahead and get the 8043..

If you don't have a LOT of legos then go ahead and get the 8258.. Its cheaper and has TONS of useful parts.

Good luck making a decision..

8258 is the best parts pack in ages, and I thought it was a great build. I don't own a 8043 (yet) so I con't compare them very well. I just think 8258 is great and I think it is somewhat underrated.

It has less Power functions elements but it has 500 more parts, so it depends on what you want to do.

If you want a play set, pick 8043.

If you want a parts pack with lots LOTS of basic parts, get 8258.

If you want some of the new 2010 parts, get 8043.

If you want a good looking model, pick any you like.

If you want a large model, pick 8258.

If you want a technically complex model, pick any you like.

I completely agree.

I have both the 8258 and the 8043. If you plan to own both, start with the 8258 as it may get hard to find soon at a good price. I think I enjoyed building the 8258 more than the 8043. The excavator seems more fun to play with than the crane truck.

I agree that 8258 is great parts pack, but this mean nothing if you leave it assembled (like I did). Neverthelass, I really enjoyed building it and I like it for its size and design. I have 8043 still sealed for christmas break building, but from waht saw in reviews its godd medium-sized model with great plyability.

I would get 8258 and 8043 next year.

The 8258 "frames" are not that expensive, if you need them:

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=84645&colorID=86

http://www.bricklink.com/search.asp?itemID=84644&colorID=86

The RC parts on the other hand...

But like I've already said (and a fair share with me), it depends on what parts you need. If you are after parts...

Im only getting back intom lego so parts would be nice too,i might just get both if the girlfriend is good too me,most comments are saying both is a must so ill think thats what ill do,thanks for the help guys.

Iv one more question,if i buy a new crane truck now will it have the new LAs or what was the production date they stopped making 8258 as maybe if it was after the new LAs came out a new pack 8258 might have them no?

I don't think you'll get the new LAs with the 8258. It's a 2009 model, I doubt Lego is still producing it. What's in stock is packaged a couple of years ago.

Ok well today i took the plung and went out and bought the 8043 and 8258,the women in smyths toy shop said there was only 4 sets of 8258 left so i got it too ;)