DLuders

Nathanael Kuipers' Modular "Concept 4x4"

As noted by Meatman on this Eurobricks post, Nathanael Kuipers (a.k.a. Industrialdesigner) has built a modular Lego Technic "Concept" vehicle that can be changed into other vehicles. As a follow-up to his "Concept Car" , he has posted pictures of his "Concept 4x4" on MOCPages. He wrote:

"The original ConceptCar wasn't a concept on its own. However the real potential of this 'Supercar' becomes only visible when new modules are being made and exchanged. Using the same V12 engine and 5-speed + R gearbox, and leaving most of the frame untouched, the model went through a make-over to turn into this Concept jeep with AWD and independant suspension."

12831891578_DISPLAY.jpg

On his Brickshelf gallery, he posted 9 photos of the 4x4 and explained that it features "New modules like suspension with higher clearance, offroad tires, proper 4WD with center diff, adjustable seats, etc..."

jeep6.jpg

jeep4.jpg

jeep7.jpg

I added a comment on MOCPages that asked: "Nathanael, do you think that there's any chance that TLG will release a set like this? After all, the "Concept Car" modular construction would be very attractive to folks wanting to dabble with Lego Technic. When you post your ideas on MOCPages, does that mean that TLG will not act on those designs? After all, I think that you're the only TLG employee that overtly posts his creations for public display. All other TLG Technic employees don't even say anything on the various Technic forums...."

His response is pretty interesting: "Hi David, thanks for your interest. The reason why I have been posting several models again is because I left TLG a few years ago for personal reasons at the time. Nowadays I have several motives to present these models; to inspire others, to explore ideas I didn't have time for at TLG, and, if possible, to get back as a designer there. You may have noticed I'm not very active on fora as I'm trying to avoid questions and discussions due to my past experience. I honestly can't answer if TLG might release a modular concept like this. I guess not, but you never know. I think it does have potential because, like you say, it's attractive for people to dabble and explore with TECHNIC..." :oh:

Kuipers is one of the best technic builders that there is, if not the best. He and crowkillers seem to always 1-Up each other. This new 4X4 is simply fantastic. I love the adjustable seats, This isn't something that you see anyone do, well I think crow did something with seats in a model last year, I would have to double check. I can't wait until he shows what he can do with the new technic panels.

AWESOME :thumbup:

Edited by TechnicJuan

Perhaps better than #8466 (don't shoot me :tongue: !). Surely than #8297 :devil: . Truely awesome. I like those details... and absence of compromises :thumbup: . I'd like (and want) to see in stores a model like this!

It reminds me of 8448, the last true supercar, but with more radical changes.

Only problem is that it's not motorised and I think that LEGO is now doing just that: RC controlled PF supercar, possibily with alternative alternative instructions (but not modular)

Wow, awesome. Imagine Crowkillers and Nathanael working on a Technic Exclusive supercar with Power Functions, with an estimated budget of about 200-250 Euros.

Let's keep hoping/dreaming ...

That is sooooo cool. Lego really needs to get this guy back. He comes up with such great ways to use parts that the average or even skilled builder would never think about doing. I would also love to build his concept car. :thumbup:

Yes, he totally needs to go back, totally agree! That 4x4 looks just pure awesome, and the details like movable seats or the hood handle. Any ideas, why other designers arent so active?

I love the seat's and the body styling... Epic stuff... as you could expect from an actual pro like Nathanael Kuipers.... Lego need to re-hire him!

Edited by Sam42

Super sexy 4x4 :thumbup: Just needs some instructions :tongue:

Edited by phool

The best thing about this modulair concept is imo the easy way to rebuild/add modules to get another model. Hopefully Nanthanael gives us a PF-module to rc the modules!

The best thing about this modulair concept is imo the easy way to rebuild/add modules to get another model. Hopefully Nanthanael gives us a PF-module to rc the modules!

Personally, I doubt we'll see any Power Functions. Models with gearboxes are typically not well suited to motorization. The usual reason is that the gear ratios are chosen for the engine to be driven by wheels (engine turns when you push the model around), not vice versa. This is true of 8466 which people have tried to motorize and run into this problem. There is too much resistance and inertia in the wheels to turn them at a high ratio.

Sheepo's Veyron is motorized with a motorized sequential gearbox, but I'm not sure it can drive in any gear. I've only seen a video of it running through the gears while up on a stand with the wheels off the ground.

Personally, I doubt we'll see any Power Functions. Models with gearboxes are typically not well suited to motorization. The usual reason is that the gear ratios are chosen for the engine to be driven by wheels (engine turns when you push the model around), not vice versa. This is true of 8466 which people have tried to motorize and run into this problem. There is too much resistance and inertia in the wheels to turn them at a high ratio.

Sheepo's Veyron is motorized with a motorized sequential gearbox, but I'm not sure it can drive in any gear. I've only seen a video of it running through the gears while up on a stand with the wheels off the ground.

Someone asked Paul on his blog why he doesn't motorize any of his vehicles and he basically told them the same thing. I think his exact words were PF were a waste of time on supercars. I respectfully disagree though, I think they work well for smaller functions. :wacko:

Edited by Meatman

Someone asked Paul on his blog why he doesn't motorize any of his vehicles and he basically told them the same thing. I think his exact words were PF were a waste of time on supercars. I respectfully disagree though, I think they work well for smaller functions. :wacko:

Then again Mr Kuipers might surprise us with a brilliant solution.

Edited by JunkstyleGio

Then again Mr Kuipers might surprise us with a brilliant solution.

That wouldn't really be a surprise. :tongue:

I've 'played with it in a very limited space (on a table at a LUG expo) and it moves ok in 1st and reverse - didn't have the chance to test the rest of the speeds, but knowing Sheepo they too work.

I've 'played with it in a very limited space (on a table at a LUG expo) and it moves ok in 1st and reverse - didn't have the chance to test the rest of the speeds, but knowing Sheepo they too work.

I would really like to see a video of it driving forward and the gears changing. That car is awesome on so many levels, but the weight has got to be bogging it down some.

Over on TechnicBRICKS, Nathanael Kuipers (NK - "Industrialdesigner" on Bricklink) wrote an article about BUILDING INSTRUCTIONS made for his Lego Technic Concept Car. :cry_happy: Joshua Delahunty spent 3-1/2 years developing PDF Building Instructions; there are several "teaser" images on that TechnicBRICKS post. Be sure to leave NK some feedback THERE (not here) by commenting on his proposal.

TBs_20110719_1-p203.png

It's never too late for instructions, nor is it ever too late for a sweet render.

iso.jpg