• 2 – Below Average
    • 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding
  2. 2. Which one do you like the most?

• 2008 Castle Advent Calendar (7979)
    • 2010 Kingdoms Advent Calendar (7952)
    • Either one / Can't decide / Don't care

Hi friends, I'm just getting hugely back into Castle after ahem 30 or so years!!! and have just got the MMV, King's Castle, Prison Tower Rescue, Jester, Wizard and "The Good Wizard" from Fantasy as I feel a wizard is essential.

I really like the look of this but what my question is if you've already got MMV how good really is this for £24.99??? It does seem a hill of money although it looks magical.. thanks for any advice...

Hi friends, I'm just getting hugely back into Castle after ahem 30 or so years!!! and have just got the MMV, King's Castle, Prison Tower Rescue, Jester, Wizard and "The Good Wizard" from Fantasy as I feel a wizard is essential.

I really like the look of this but what my question is if you've already got MMV how good really is this for £24.99??? It does seem a hill of money although it looks magical.. thanks for any advice...

You get new mini figures, and I believe a few exclusive torsos. If you missed the first eave of HP, the. You get an owl, ifyousid get farm sets, then you get pig. I think it's worth it.

For whatever reason I couldn't find it in me to pay $45 for the calendar to be delivered from S@H, and when I got down to it, the only figures I actually wanted were the wizard and the page/prince/noble guy. So after some deliberation I went on bricklink and ordered both, got them shipped to me, accessories and all for $10.

I'm afraid that's gonna be it for me unless I physically see it in stores or under 35$, but other than that, I don't really need extra soldiers, peasants or weapons; those are much more accessible through the cheaper sets

Strange that it is so expensive. Here in the Netherlands you can order it online for say 17 euros + shipping costs (7-8euro), which I share with two other friends since we order at the same time. Normally LEgo is always cheaper in the US. In any case, it's seems to be a very nice set, but 45 dollars may indeed be too much of a good thing... Best, K.

Edited by KristofBD

For whatever reason I couldn't find it in me to pay $45 for the calendar to be delivered from S@H, and when I got down to it, the only figures I actually wanted were the wizard and the page/prince/noble guy. So after some deliberation I went on bricklink and ordered both, got them shipped to me, accessories and all for $10.

I'm afraid that's gonna be it for me unless I physically see it in stores or under 35$, but other than that, I don't really need extra soldiers, peasants or weapons; those are much more accessible through the cheaper sets

If you count each minifig and the bricks/accessories in the corresponding days as an impulse set, you get 9 impulse sets for 3.88 USD each. With a few of them being exclusive minifigs. I would say that the set is appropriately priced relative to impulse sets.

Well I bought it with other Kingdoms sets and they had the free shipping offer on orders over 75USD. So it only cost me 35USD. But yea the shipping from S@H makes me buy my sets mostly from Amazon. But they tend to never have impulses, and obviously I have to shop at Lego to get the Lego exclusives. But they have free shipping offers semi regularly. I believe 3 out of my 5 orders from lego.com were during free shipping offers.

Edited by lego40k

Lookin' awesome!

A great addition to any collection, or if you've missed out on the current Castle theme, a great way to collect some figures! Cheers for the review, The Cobra! :thumbup:

~Peace

I actually think the servant page as you call him

is king arthur or at least his lego counterpart

you know with the sword in stone and such

but still

great review

Like the set, love the review. :thumbup:

The lovely princess has a double-sided head

Guess you could call her "two faced". :laugh:

But they were forced to give us an extra knife.

Love this "humorous review system" :grin:

Also love the "Happy courtesan" and "Barrel", waiting for someone to make an oktoberfest moc. :tongue:

Nice set, I'll pick this one up when (or if) Lego puts it on clearance.

Edited by Milargo

The nice thing about this set is that it has an appeal to so many different people. We split several boxes with people from my LUG, and this is how it went:

- there were people (not just castle fans!) interested in the exclusive and rare items, like the queen, pig etc. without having to buy a full box;

- army builders happily took the common soldiers at a pretty good price;

- some went for the accessories like the armor rack or sword in stone (3 swords!) at very low prices;

- and there was a guy who took all the remaining accessories/basic bricks at scrap price.

Of course, if you buy a box just for yourself, it's just as well. Overall, this set has great value for money, probably the best among current Kingdoms sets.

Great review! I love the Queens dress and hair(is it black or dark brown? I can't tell.). I like this set, but I don't really buy LEGO Advent calendars, so I probably won't get it.

I got this set some days ago. I really enjoy the build, and like with others Advent Calendars I had a great fun!

:thumbup:

-Many exclusive minifigs (Majisto son, Prince, Princess, Blacksmith)

-Great pices

-SO many extras!

-Old Mr Skeleton

-New gold/silver color

:thumbdown:

Only 2 things for Dragon knight

-no shield or plume for dragon knight

This set is currently listed as "sold out" in North America. Does that mean temporarily or is it gone for good?

From my experience with advent calendars...when they say 'sold out', they mean 'gone for good'.

I really wish they made these in greater quantities. I wanted to pick one up for my son, but they were long gone at the LEGO store in Mall of America when I visited there 2 weeks ago and they are also sold out online. They had piles of the City calendars at the LEGO store, and I've seen them at Toys R Us, Target, and local resellers as well.

I almost didn't buy the City Calendar this year because it just doesn't impress me all that much, but I got it at such a good deal I couldn't resist. Last year I picked up an older City calendar on ebay, rather than buy the 2009 one which again didn't impress me. And there's the point LEGO misses, by making these in such limited quantities they risk losing a sale if a customer can't find the set or if the customer doesn't like the current calendar. If the quantities were greater, they risk having to warehouse some from year to year, but because the calendar isn't really a calendar (the numbers aren't tied to a day of the week), these can be used year to year and don't 'expire' at the end of the year like a real calendar would.

I think the addition of one of the old skeletons was possibly the most exciting thing, at least initially since I grew up with them. 7947 Prison Tower Rescue has an extra dark green plume for the dragon knight, or I stuck a flame in his helmet, which makes him look quite menacing!

I've just got my copy of this (thank heavens for England still having some in stock) and I'm curious:

Am I going to be the only person to be using this as an actual advent calendar till December 25th... and after that as the treasure trove of new pieces everyone else is using it for?

I'm using mine as a traditional advent calendar, it's been taunting me for several weeks, but soon I finally get to start opening it!

I'm using mine as a traditional advent calendar, it's been taunting me for several weeks, but soon I finally get to start opening it!

You're telling me.

It's been one evening and I'm already getting twitchy fingers.

You're telling me.

It's been one evening and I'm already getting twitchy fingers.

same thing for me. I bought it in september and I decided to open it in december. Now the time is coming! :sweet:

nausi