Klaus-Dieter

2011 City sets

Did anyone spy the female police officer that drives the police car in 3648 police chase ? :wink:

COOL that's two female officers for I beleive a total of three in the history of Legotown/Lego City ! :tongue:

Keep on speeding ! :grin:

Cool new sets! I like Lego being more truly to reality like.

The Bank look like something Brittish from the 80s, hm, atleast better then the previuos! :classic:

Edited by Ferdik

That bank looks fine to me from a modern viewpoint. An ATM you can drive your car up to would've been nice though.

The older banks remind me of Check Cashing places that you find in dangerous neighborhoods. Seedy neighborhoods like that are the only place I can think of where you can find a business with pictures of money painted on the windows.

Police Chase-- Well done, TLG. Adventure in a box right there.

Bank-- Hey, I'll take it. Love the armored car and we had to realize we weren't going to get some enormous graystone facade, so this works for me.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about this green star/red star business-- we WILL get this in the States, right?

Just noticed how weird it looks that the bike rider in the bank set is riding through green briefcases in a physics defying way.

I like the bank though. nice small high street sized. cool colours and interesting facade although the ATM looks odd. Is that a red trial bike the criminal is on? Cool beans if it is. I like the police car too. the secure van could do with a little more work. an ok set though. Look forward to seeing clearer pics.

police chase features another red car *yawn*. Would it really be too much to ask for a green car? It's a nice design but enough with the red already. Police car is quite cool. Don't like the stickers. They look messy.

they're not bad sets but they could be better.

If I remember correctly it was estimated to be about 5%.

I still think that figure is a load of garbage.

I've been in stores and seen TEN families not buy as much LEGO as ONE AFOL.

I'd like to know just HOW EXACTLY they came up with that particular figure.

I rather like the bank set.

Sure, it could have had more to it but, it's not so hard to MOC up a larger building and use this set as the 'face'.

Besides, I'm just happy that they're bringing in more City buildings that aren't police stations, or fire stations.

Edited by Ogre

Did anyone spy the female police officer that drives the police car in 3648 police chase ? :wink:

COOL that's two female officers for I beleive a total of three in the history of Legotown/Lego City ! :tongue:

Keep on speeding ! :grin:

Looks like we get a blueshirt for the bank security also... so at least we'll still get one if we don't go for the new truck or police station :)

Not a huge fan of police sets but those first new sets appeared kinda cool. Can't say the same about police chase & bank set :sadnew: I might like them better when there's a proper picture, not a scan from catalogue, but thanks for the news anyways :thumbup:

Police Chase-- Well done, TLG. Adventure in a box right there.

Bank-- Hey, I'll take it. Love the armored car and we had to realize we weren't going to get some enormous graystone facade, so this works for me.

Personally, I'm much more concerned about this green star/red star business-- we WILL get this in the States, right?

You should its just what they do in NZ the stars are to do with exclusives so I would expect it to be an exclusive in the states :classic:

I really like that new police cruiser in the bank set, but I'm less enthusiastic about the return of the trike. I mean, the size is more accurate than the size of the new motorcycles, but why not bring back the old motorcycles, if they're going to re-use an old mold? I have never seen a police officer riding a motortrike, but I've seen plenty mounted on motorbikes.

Those two new sets don't look good IMO. I just...they don't look like a official lego set but more like somekind of sets a fake lego company would come up with. I'll only buy the bank and money transfer, not because of the set but because of what it is supposed to be :tongue::hmpf_bad:

I quite like the bank. It's be nice if they gave us a bit more building and a bit less armed robbery, but otherwise it looks like a solid build in the City Corner style. I'll be picking it it.

I really like that new police cruiser in the bank set, but I'm less enthusiastic about the return of the trike. I mean, the size is more accurate than the size of the new motorcycles, but why not bring back the old motorcycles, if they're going to re-use an old mold? I have never seen a police officer riding a motortrike, but I've seen plenty mounted on motorbikes.

YUP... I was like WTF the first time I seen the new bikes.... Some one at lego was smoking some hard core drugs when they made that change....:alien:

Back in the 1980's Didn't they stop making 3 wheelers in real life because they were found to be reckless and unsafe and not to mention the over sized front tire if under pressurized would flip the bike into an end over end roll if the brakes were applied hard :wink:

I quite like the bank. It's be nice if they gave us a bit more building and a bit less armed robbery, but otherwise it looks like a solid build in the City Corner style. I'll be picking it it.

ya and the bank truck should have come with stacks of Lego money flats :look: My next building would be a money themed house... roof, walls... and lawn... all money flats...:grin:

You know a picture speaks a thousand words.....enjoy......

police_sets_2011_0.jpg

Keep on saying happy, happy, joy, joy ! :laugh:

I need that red bike... :laugh:

Like the look of that police officer as well, nice uniform!

Are they really bringing back that silly <insert that tiresome argument> trike again? :hmpf_bad: The cars in the chase set look pretty decent though. Not sold on the bank either, but what else would you expect in a (modern) City set? Is that a new 2 x 1 x 6 windscreen piece on the the money van and gray roller doors? :classic:

Also, do they have some sort of new inverted slope for the backs of the cars?

I don't see what's "<insert that tiresome argument>" about the trike. Its structure is about two pieces, which is about the same as any LEGO motorcycle ever.

It really bothers me to see "<insert that tiresome argument>" used as a synonym for "part I don't like". "<insert that tiresome argument>" implies that something is simpler than it should be, or simpler than an available alternative. It could be argued that this is the first, but there's no validity in the second because for a trike this size there are no alternatives.

exon_from_youtube's post above mine gives a valid reason for disliking the trike. And there are several other valid reasons for disliking it. But there's no justification for calling it "<insert that tiresome argument>".

Looking forward to clearer pictures of the bank and chase set. Both look OK to me, although I'm a fan of more modestly-designed banks (sloped roofs and a drive-through). Perhaps that's just what I'm familiar with locally, though.

I don't see what's "<insert that tiresome argument>" about the trike. Its structure is about two pieces, which is about the same as any LEGO motorcycle ever.

It really bothers me to see "<insert that tiresome argument>" used as a synonym for "part I don't like". "<insert that tiresome argument>" implies that something is simpler than it should be, or simpler than an available alternative. It could be argued that this is the first, but there's no validity in the second because for a trike this size there are no alternatives.

exon_from_youtube's post above mine gives a valid reason for disliking the trike. And there are several other valid reasons for disliking it. But there's no justification for calling it "<insert that tiresome argument>".

Looking forward to clearer pictures of the bank and chase set. Both look OK to me, although I'm a fan of more modestly-designed banks (sloped roofs and a drive-through). Perhaps that's just what I'm familiar with locally, though.

While I agree that the trike itself is not "<insert that tiresome argument>" (and I really, really dislike the indiscriminate use of that word to signify a part or set that someone doesn't like), it did come around as the replacement to the motorcycle during the Town Jr era. Perhaps that's what Rick meant.

And exon, I'm not sure what bikes you're talking about in regards to smoking drugs. The new motorcycles are oversized, but also more detailed than the older ones, with more accurate fairing.

well not to mention this earlier, but the new style motorcycles kind of look like mopeds to me as well....

Lego cops must be on a hard budget this year and cant get a real bike...LOL

So what will happen when the high speed chase takes place, what the cops on under powered three wheelers and motorcycles will have to call in the helicopter(that's not included on the landing pad on the HQ set? WTF :wacko: ) because last moped I had only could do 70mph after I modded the hell out of the engine... :hmpf_bad:

And exon, I'm not sure what bikes you're talking about in regards to smoking drugs. The new motorcycles are oversized, but also more detailed than the older ones, with more accurate fairing.

All of them are a joke... Look I loved the old bikes... they looked real and well sure the side cars looked fake, but in the end it was a lego style that was around for well over 2 decades and well the new bikes will surely get taken off the line up and replaced before they get 10 years old.... :wink:

to call them motorcycles and not mopeds outrages me.. I ride my self and those new bikes... all of them look like something some one in a third world country would ride.. :sick:

While I didn't consciously use the word, I don't think there actually is one single definition of "<insert that tiresome argument>". In addition to the aspects you mention, to me it also carries the meaning of "unrealistic", much like the cars in the Town Jr. era were. In my opinion, the trike isn't as refined as it could be and the new motorcycle variations are much better in that respect.

While I agree that the trike itself is not "<insert that tiresome argument>" (and I really, really dislike the indiscriminate use of that word to signify a part or set that someone doesn't like), it did come around as the replacement to the motorcycle during the Town Jr era. Perhaps that's what Rick meant.

The disappointment of seeing Town Jr. in stores when coming out of my dark ages undoubtedly didn't contribute to my liking of the trike. :wink: And actually I don't mind a few trikes in my city, the new motorcycles (of which I don't own any yet) just seem to provide much more variation.

While I didn't consciously use the word, I don't think there actually is one single definition of "<insert that tiresome argument>". In addition to the aspects you mention, to me it also carries the meaning of "unrealistic", much like the cars in the Town Jr. era were. In my opinion, the trike isn't as refined as it could be and the new motorcycle variations are much better in that respect.

I dunno... IMO, while "<insert that tiresome argument>" things are often unrealistic, that's not to say they're <insert that tiresome argument> because they're unrealistic, but rather the other way around. By using simple and non-innovative builds, they reduce vehicles and buildings to a chunky, oversimplified mess.

Not sure what everyone means by the "Town Jr." era-- I haven't ever been very active in the LEGO town/city community-- but having looked at catalogs I'd guess you guys are talking about the era in the late 90s, when those godawful printed headlight/grille slopes and one-piece chassis blocks were in vogue.

The disappointment of seeing Town Jr. in stores when coming out of my dark ages undoubtedly didn't contribute to my liking of the trike. :wink: And actually I don't mind a few trikes in my city, the new motorcycles (of which I don't own any yet) just seem to provide much more variation.

Agreed on those points. Still, the trike doesn't bother me too much, since there's not a currently-available alternative, and stylistically it still manages to feel up-to-date in terms of detail. It's also proven much more versatile than a piece like that should be, what with its brilliant uses as Star Wars speeder bikes and the lovely hoverbike in the Space Police set Freeze Ray Frenzy.

Not sure what everyone means by the "Town Jr." era-- I haven't ever been very active in the LEGO town/city community-- but having looked at catalogs I'd guess you guys are talking about the era in the late 90s, when those godawful printed headlight/grille slopes and one-piece chassis blocks were in vogue.

ouch... that hurt my feelings :cry_sad:

I would rather it be one piece then a ugly Multiple part bike

Realistic? please! :devil:

the old one piece bikes looked like bobbers to me and classic Harley-Davidsons and Moto Guzzis and Triumphs and oh ya BSA's for you UK guys... All of those bikes my father had in his garage and that created my love for the old style lego motorcycles... the new ones appall me greatly..... Dad used to call those bikes lego makes now J#p-Cr#p (put in # or it would be racist, one thing I am not)

G'day everyone, I was just reading the catalogue again when I noticed the some of the police vehicles were NUMBERED, 01 and 02 in the station house, 03 is the prisoner transport, 04 is the new copter, 05....the hot looking patrol car and finally 06 appears to be a carbon copy of car 01.

I have not see Lego do this before in the city line up, of course they did for Power Miners.

Keep on waiting for 2011 everyone ! :wink:

Thanks for the pictures lightningtiger! :thumbup:

The first comment I have to make is that it's a great thing that TLG is giving us civilian elements even in Police sets. I assume that the Bank set is considered to be from the Police line so that's encouraging.

I like both cars from the Police Chase set and I'll finally get my first trike. It's a surprise that we also get a pavement's corner (or something like that).

The Bank set looks good. Although that I don't like the form of the last 3-4 years' buildings (Construction Site building, Family Home, Pizza building), this one seems to be a bit different. I will even dare to say that it has some classic town taste on it. Perhaps it's the picture that deceives me, I don't know...

I agree with Elijah here. Since we all know that City buildings are not designed to be "Cafe Corners", I think that this is a decent set and I believe that we were all expecting it to be something like that.

I wasn't too enthusiastic about the bank on first sight, but it is growing on me. I hope we get a good view of the interior soon--as well as a look at what the background element in the police chase set is.

the old one piece bikes looked like bobbers to me and classic Harley-Davidsons and Moto Guzzis and Triumphs and oh ya BSA's for you UK guys... All of those bikes my father had in his garage and that created my love for the old style lego motorcycles... the new ones appall me greatly.....

I see what you mean, although I do have to say, the new motorcycles do have three distinctive "flavors," one of which looks rather like a Harley (you can see this in such sets as the Chauchilla Cemetary set and the new Golden Staff Guardians set). The others look like dirt bikes and touring motorcycles. That's what I meant by realistic--you get different, more detailed fairings. But in being more detailed, they grew too large. That was my point.

On that subject--while I do like the new motorcycles (though they look silly when a minifigure is standing next to one, as they're huge), I wonder at the scale issues that will be brought up with the inclusion of the trike. As long as LEGO only released one motorcycle size at a time, one could imagine that all motorcycles were that size in LEGOLand. However, since they're re-releasing the trike, which is to scale with the old motorcycles, in a line alongside new motorcycles, the new ones will look all the larger. It's an odd choice, and I wonder if it will be changed.