Sign in to follow this  
Ryan_T

LEGOLand... FLORIDA!!!

I recently heard.. (Today) That the owner of LEGOLand has bought the old Cypress Gardens land here in central Florida.. I'm from Bonita Springs, and the thought of going to LEGOLand California, has always came to my head.. And easily swept out, The price is just to high to get there.. But if this is true, Its going to beat the Orlando LEGO Store for me.. :laugh: Only been to it once, and it was fun! :grin: Anyway, Here's an article about it:

The owner of Legoland has purchased Cypress Gardens, the venerable Polk County attraction that shut down last fall.

A spokeswoman for the buyer, British amusements operator Merlin Entertainments Group, said Friday the purchase includes the current Cypress Gardens theme park, the Splash Island water park and the adjacent botanical gardens.

The sale closed Jan. 7. The price was not disclosed.

Merlin is the second busiest amusement company in the world. Its holdings include Legoland theme parks, Madame Tussaud's wax museums and the London Eye.

Rumors have been circulating for months that Merlin would like to open a Legoland in Florida, which would be its second U.S. location. The company currently operates four parks themed around the toy building blocks in Carlsbad, Calif.; Germany; Denmark; and England.

Spokeswoman Julie Estrada said Merlin has been working with Polk County and Florida officials on new business plans for Cypress Gardens. Details are expected to be unveiled at a news conference Merlin has scheduled for Thursday.

The acquisition expands the presence of private-equity colossus The Blackstone Group in Central Florida's theme-park industry. Blackstone, which last fall purchased SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment for about $2.5 billion and co-owns Universal Orlando with General Electric Co., holds a majority stake in Merlin.

Once famed for its botanical gardens and Southern Belles, Cypress Gardens has struggled over the last decade, enduring multiple closures and a bankruptcy.

The 73-year-old Winter Haven attraction has been unable to compete with Orlando's much larger, more modern theme parks.

Cypress Gardens' current owner, Land South Adventures, spent $17 million to buy the park at a bankruptcy auction in 2007, betting it could revitalize the park through a combination of scaled-back attractions and cheaper tickets.

The bet failed, and Land South abruptly shuttered Cypress Gardens in September, saying it could find no way "to keep the park running in its traditional form."

A representative for Land South on Friday referred all questions to Merlin.

Discuss? (sorry if this all has been posted before.. I'm SUPER tired right now and blah blah blah.. :laugh: )

They have been planning and scouting a second LEGOLAND park in the states for some time now. This is it.

LEGOLand California is planning on building a New attraction.. :tongue: Its going to be a hotel, Right next to LEGOLand park.. Will take 15/18 months to complete, and will consider it when the economy starts to even out a bit I think. :wink: But, Lets Try to keep the main theme here Florida. Even though California LEGOLand discussion is completely fine. :tongue:

Ha, yes, I heard about this on the local news. Very exciting. It will make living in Florida slightly more bearable.

This is dreadful news for me! :sad: They were planning on building a legoland in lee's Summit which is right next to where I live! So I guess now it's not gonna happen.

Give us a lego store in Michigan and I'll be happy.

We are literally the only state without one. :sceptic:

Um, I think there are more states without them than with them.

As of now, there are 21 states with stores. Believe, I want one as well. :grin:

To be fair, Michigan is probably one of the most populated states without a store.

Yeah that is very far from true unless there are only 20 states now. :tongue: As I said missouri doesn't have any lego stores and the closest one is in Texas! :laugh:

Finnaly, something to make life less miserable down here! I know there is Disney World, but it isn't the same as legoland from what I hear. Now I don't need to go to California, just for LegoLand.

Why would you want a LEGO store in your state? That means they add tax if you order from Shop @ Home. Why would you order from S@H? Well, sometimes even with shipping it works out to still less than paying at TRU (with tax). I was actually annoyed that they opened a LEGO store in my state, since it's just as far as the one in the neighboring state, and now I would have to pay tax on orders!

Anyway, about the real topic, a Legoland in Florida would be nice, one on each coast and whatnot. Seems like Lelgoland likes being neighbors with Disney, too. Maybe they'll call this one Legoworld. Get it?

I thought I'd read that they were optioning to open one in Illinois, though. Is that bagged now? I think a Midwest one would have been nice.

Why would you want a LEGO store in your state? That means they add tax if you order from Shop @ Home. Why would you order from S@H? Well, sometimes even with shipping it works out to still less than paying at TRU (with tax). I was actually annoyed that they opened a LEGO store in my state, since it's just as far as the one in the neighboring state, and now I would have to pay tax on orders!

Why use Shop @ Home when you can go to the store and get immediate Service instead of waiting a few days for what could be at the most 1 or 2 hours to get there... :tongue:

Anyway, Keeping this a bit on track.. :laugh: what do you think would be the estimated time to complete the park? I'm thinking about a year or two..

(It's a little closer than Orlando. :wacko: )

Edited by Ryan_T

Finnaly, something to make life less miserable down here! I know there is Disney World, but it isn't the same as legoland from what I hear. Now I don't need to go to California, just for LegoLand.

Now now, Disney is superduperly fantastic. In fact, if I had to choose, I would much rather have just Disney World (just Magic Kingdom, even) than just Legoland. However, it'll be nice to have both. Maybe the lines at the DT Disney LEGO store will become reasonable, finally.

Now now, Disney is superduperly fantastic. In fact, if I had to choose, I would much rather have just Disney World (just Magic Kingdom, even) than just Legoland. However, it'll be nice to have both. Maybe the lines at the DT Disney LEGO store will become reasonable, finally.

Disney World.. To me.. sucks. :laugh: Other parks around it are nice though.. But never being to a LEGOland, having one so close now would be pretty sweet :grin:

There's already a topic about this here, but it's great to know that it's probably official! But wasn't the next LEGOLAND going to be in Malaysia? :look:

I personally do not want another LEGOLAND in the US, because it makes the one in California seem more genuine and authentic. But Florida is probably one of the best spots in the US for another LEGOLAND, since there will then be one on either edge of the country (which is much better than having one in the middle and one in the west :wink:), and I bet that many will be extremely pleased with this decision. :classic:

EDIT: Oops, I forgot about the LEGO Discovery Center in Chicago!

Edited by ILikePi

EDIT: Oops, I forgot about the LEGO Discovery Center in Chicago!

They are building a LEGO Discovery Center near Dallas as well.

Well thats cool :oh:

I wonder what new attractions they will have?

Each park has attractions or rides that are exclusive to it.

I've been to the one in CA but that was a long time ago :grin:

[the park's miniland]...will include a section depicting famous Florida landmarks...

LEGO Spaceship Earth/ Tree of Life/ Cinderella's Castle anyone? :sweet:

Edited by Tereglith

Awesome!

Looks like it will be located in Winterhaven, FL between Orlando and Tampa.

Time to test some structural rigidity under hurricane force winds!! haha

:tongue:

This has been all over the local papers down here. Perhaps I can shed some light on it.

The new Legoland will be built in Winter Haven on the property of Cypress Gardens, an extremely old and well-established, yet outdated theme park that was having financial difficulties due to the larger pull of Disney World and Universal. It was sold to Merlin Entertainment on Jan. 15. Merlin has said that they chose the site because of the value of the existing infrastructure. Because they are able to utilize many of Cypress Gardens old attractions, including a wooden roller coaster and the historic gardens, the park is expected to be completed in two years, whereas it takes five to build one from the ground up. The park is expected to do very well, as a survey says that Legoland has a high brand recognition and almost a 90% intention to visit from families in the target market (those with boys aged 2-12). The park should also get business from "Theme Park Hopper Tourists" who come down here for a week long vacation or more and visit all of the major theme parks, Disney World, Universal, Seaworld, Busch Gardens, and, now Legoland.

Oh please be true as I live in FL and I have never been to a Lego Land park. :cry_happy:

No need to worry about it being true, it's completely confirmed and backed up by both Merlin and the Government.