Capn Frank

NCC-542 Samuel Roberts Patrol Frigate

A friend of mine built this beautiful star trek model and I wanted to share with EB trekies. :cry_happy:

Here's what Brian had to say about this MOC on MOCpages.

Statistics

# Crew: 22

# Armament: 6 light phaser banks, two photon torpedo launchers

# Shuttlecraft: One Assault Shuttle

Concept Notes:

Interplay's 1999 game "Starfleet Command" features the Okinawa class Frigate, light but maneuverable, great for hunting down Orion Pirates or tangling with the occasional Klingon Bird of Prey. The first time I played that game - I wished I could translate the sense of speed and style into LEGO, something impossible at the moment.

Earlier this year, I dug the game out, blew the dust off of the CD cover, and played it once more -- and again felt the urge to try and translate that ship into bricks. This time, I thought I could give it a try. After much testing, I found that the only wedge plates that would fill a 360 degree circle were the 3x12 plates. Thus began a massive bricklink order that kicked off this build

Because I am compulsive about including "functional" interiors to the ships I build, scale dictated that this would be a much smaller ship than the Okinawa, which was 77m wide (about 252 studs wide at the scale I'm using...) -- so it became a light patrol frigate with roughly the same lines as the Okinawa.

I suppose yous guys would like to see some pictures. :look:

1250370380m_SPLASH.jpg

12503703811_DISPLAY.jpg

12503647613_THUMB.jpg 12503647624_THUMB.jpg 12503647635_THUMB.jpg 12503647601_THUMB.jpg

Some interior Pics:

12503659267_THUMB.jpg

The Bridge

12503657422_THUMB.jpg

The Mess Hall

12503659241_THUMB.jpg

Transporter Room

Here is the MOCpages Link.

Wow, can't say that I'm a huge fan of Star Trek (though I really enjoyed J.J Abrams movie), but this has to be the best (and biggest) Star Trek MOC I've ever seen. It's really amazing, especially all the interior details.

Your friend did a excellent job on this.

With those nacelles and pylons, and a basic saucer design figured out---he's not far away from being ready to make an NCC-1701-A. :)

Very impressed. I love the plated look of the saucer. The nacelles look excellent too. My only gripe would have to be the shuttlebay. It looks like in his attempt for playability, the back of the ship was bulked up a bit to fit a small shuttlecraft. Personally, I would have just cut the feature entirely to make it sexier.

Very cool MOC! After watching the new Star Trek movie, I'm all hyped up for Star Trek themes. I love the details with the bridge and mess areas, and to be honest, I kinda like the cute little shuttle poking out the back. Live long and prosper! :wink:

I saw this some time ago on MOCpages and as Star Trek fan I find this quite awesome. It also shows why a Star Trek theme would be impossible, at least in minifig scale.

With those nacelles and pylons, and a basic saucer design figured out---he's not far away from being ready to make an NCC-1701-A. :)

Seconded!

This MOC is fantastic. I always wanted to see a Kirk-era movie-style Enterprise in Lego, never managed to do it myself, and this is mighty close.

Great interior too! :thumbup:

"Super fly cool"! ... if that expression exist.

And I'm a big Star Trek fan.

Congrats to your friend and thanks for sharing.

Very well done. My only real criticism/complaint is that he went to all that trouble to build a large ship and then didn't make it the Enterprise...

Steve

Very well done. My only real criticism/complaint is that he went to all that trouble to build a large ship and then didn't make it the Enterprise...

Steve

But which one! :tongue: The TV series one, the movie one, the new movie one, the next gen one... Perhaps he wanted to avoid favoritism!

It also shows why a Star Trek theme would be impossible, at least in minifig scale.

Really? I think it shows the reverse! To me it works a lot better than the minifig scale Star Destroyer.

.....I'm truly speachless.

Nice. You got Playability AND Realism!

(the food synthesizer was a nice detail)

\||//

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Since I like Star Trek pretty much, I feel obliged to say that this is an amazing moc! Your friend did a brilliant job! I particularly find the saucer section amazing!

I'm a trekkie and I have to say this is awesome! This is the perfect example of a star trek vessal done right for minifigures. What you should do now is th enterpris-a which does'nt have to be much larger then this.