Sign in to follow this  
DoubleT

How Old are you?

14 and proud of it.

(Though I'm large for my size, so it's really akward walking down the toy aisles - ah well, a kid at heart and age, but not in mass =P) X-D

14 and proud of it.

(Though I'm large for my size, so it's really akward walking down the toy aisles - ah well, a kid at heart and age, but not in mass =P) X-D

I just pull my shorts down low and turn around my baseball cap. It isn't working so well anymore, but at least people are staring for a different reason. :-$

14 and proud of it.

If you buy LEGO, you can always say it's a gift for someone else :-D

If you buy LEGO, you can always say it's a gift for someone else :-D

I get that one a lot.

"Do you want me to wrap it in for you?"

"No thanks, I'll take it just as it is".

|-/

BTW; I'm born 5. Jan '86. You do the maths, and if you get anything but 21, you're wrong*.

*Statement not valid after January 5th 2008.

I get that one a lot.

"Do you want me to wrap it in for you?"

"No thanks, I'll take it just as it is".

If the gift wrapping is free, you can do it anyway... then when you get home you can open it! *sweet*

It's never bothered me; I tell people it's for me, often even if they don't ask! X-D

I don't get strange looks or get bothered either, after all, my teacher collects starwars lego! :-D

I do get uncomfortable treatment if I am carrying an entire theme in my hands though 8-| .......

Anyway, I am X years old!

TTFN! >:-)

"Though I'm large for my size, so it's really akward walking down the toy aisles - ah well, a kid at heart and age, but not in mass "

It is pretty awkward checking out when you have heaps of LEGO. This is the one reason I like buying at TRU, they don't really give you the looks like others do when you shop at Target or the like, I mean it's a toy store- That's what everybody else is shopping for. :-)

As for the age, I'm 16.

~Amanda

Being 15 is awesome, and when you get the gift-wrapped sets from TRU (I did that with SSA *sweet* ) you can pretend its your birthday or Christmas. Isn't that awesome?

When I first came out of my dark ages, I was buying a set and the cashier asked me if it was a gift or not. She was cute, I was stupid, it made me just embarassed enough to say 'yes' and leave it at that, with the idea being that it was a gift, to me from me.

The experience lingered in my mind though. I'd been collecting the Hasbro SW toys for years and it never bothered me to make it widely obvious that they were mine, but somehow there seemed to be more acceptance of that. I really do think it comes down to those silly age range suggestions on LEGO.

That said, it bugged me for a while, and then I literally cussed at myself for being so stupid and now I proudly proclaim that they're mine at any opportunity. I'll stand in the aisle and talk parents into buying it for their kids. I'll talk to other potential AFOLs and sometimes I can tell they're lying about having kids, but I figure they'll grow out of any embarassment too, just like I did.

Think about it for a minute. It's your money, it's your life, who gives a megablock what some employee somewhere thinks? It's good to be open about who you are. I made a point of introducing LEGO into my current relationship very early on, just in case I would experience a weird response. Fortunately, I'm good at selling ideas sometimes, and managed to make it look just as cool as it is, so I never had to deal with that complication.

Bottom line: Embrace the brick. Love the brick. Be the brick!

Crazy Philosophy On! *y*

15. I'm never ashamed when I buy a set and I have no problem telling my friends I play with Lego. Because Lego is so much more than a simple toy.

It's a life philosophy.

Shakar

When I first came out of my dark ages, I was buying a set and the cashier asked me if it was a gift or not. She was cute, I was stupid, it made me just embarassed enough to say 'yes' and leave it at that, with the idea being that it was a gift, to me from me.

The experience lingered in my mind though. I'd been collecting the Hasbro SW toys for years and it never bothered me to make it widely obvious that they were mine, but somehow there seemed to be more acceptance of that. I really do think it comes down to those silly age range suggestions on LEGO.

That said, it bugged me for a while, and then I literally cussed at myself for being so stupid and now I proudly proclaim that they're mine at any opportunity. I'll stand in the aisle and talk parents into buying it for their kids. I'll talk to other potential AFOLs and sometimes I can tell they're lying about having kids, but I figure they'll grow out of any embarassment too, just like I did.

Think about it for a minute. It's your money, it's your life, who gives a megablock what some employee somewhere thinks? It's good to be open about who you are. I made a point of introducing LEGO into my current relationship very early on, just in case I would experience a weird response. Fortunately, I'm good at selling ideas sometimes, and managed to make it look just as cool as it is, so I never had to deal with that complication.

Bottom line: Embrace the brick. Love the brick. Be the brick!

Crazy Philosophy On! *y*

I used to always ask for a gift receipt even if I knew I was at a store where they didn't offer one. I think people caught on eventually. "Oh, here comes that guy who always asks for a gift receipt-as if we don't know... |-/ "

But eventually I said "Who gives a megablock" too. But, I still overcompensate and say something annoyingly dumb, like "This is for me!" *wacko*

Edited by Hinckley

But, I still overcompensate and say something annoyingly dumb, like "This is for me!" *wacko*

That's me! I am sooooo rude in stores. If someone is talking about a set or looks at a set I have I pipe in with "I have that and it's great". :-$ I'm even worse at the counter...

That's me! I am sooooo rude in stores. If someone is talking about a set or looks at a set I have I pipe in with "I have that and it's great". :-$ I'm even worse at the counter...

It always happens at Target where an older cashier will say "Oh, this looks like fun. Wow, you're getting a lot! Who's the lucky boy?" and I say "Me" :-$

I don't get it. I've rolled up to counters with a shopping cart full of Lego on sale, and never felt the slightest twinge of self consciousness.

One time I bought 200 Xpods (2 Canadian bucks for each was too good to resist). Another time I cleared out a shelf full of bruised Belville boxes on sale. Lots of visits, many different stores, I never noticed any problem.

Now, asking me to buy tampons for my wife at the drug store..... different story.... :-(

I don't believe I have responded here already so...

I'm 19 now, was 18 when I signed up I guess.

About the 'being ashamed (or something like that) when shopping...' :

I used to be a little embarrased when walking towards a counter with some legosets, and when the people behind the desk ask if it's a present I want to say 'yes' to avoid more embarresement, but I think 'screw them >:-('' :-P thus I say 'nope...''' But still sometimes in the present I feel uncomfortable... dunnow why exactly....

Edited by CF WeaZZel

It's only embarrasing if my mom buys it for me. :-$ Otherwise, I'm fine. She does tend to follow me around, though... 8-|

I don't get it. I've rolled up to counters with a shopping cart full of Lego on sale, and never felt the slightest twinge of self consciousness.

YUP! *y*

One time I bought 200 Xpods (2 Canadian bucks for each was too good to resist).

Oh, I wished I would have been at that place! :-D

Now, asking me to buy tampons for my wife at the drug store..... different story.... :-(

Err, yes - I know what you mean. :-|

At least, tampons don't have a label "6-12 Years" on them. :-P They really should remove the upper age limit from the boxes, there are plenty people that are older who really enjoy LEGO.

It's only embarrasing if my mom buys it for me.

I wish my mom would buy it for me...at least the biggest sets. Come on, Mom!

One time I bought 200 Xpods (2 Canadian bucks for each was too good to resist).

$400 in xpods? I can't wait until I get a job that actually pays :'-(

Another time I cleared out a shelf full of bruised Belville boxes on sale.

Man, and I felt awkward enough getting that belville advent calender in the mail from S@H *wacko* Such great parts though :'-)

It always happens at Target where an older cashier will say "Oh, this looks like fun. Wow, you're getting a lot! Who's the lucky boy?" and I say "Me" :-$

I just read "AFOLs #1" for the first time.

This part could have been made right for this topic: X-D

afol_buy.jpg

The whole magazine can be downloaded here.