Christian

Toy Story discussion thread

Oh I like the Army Men set. Three soldiers and a jeep for $15 hopefully.

I believe it's four minifigs for $9.99 USD. I going to buy quite a few of those, they look great. I think I'm also going to buy the set with the bigger car, it looks like it has some great parts.

The only thing that bothers me is the specialized pieces in the tall models. There probably wont be any other uses for those.

What specialized pieces? There is only Buzz' head and helmet, and maybe Zurg's cape. The helmet could be used as a glass dome in buildings or spaceships. The cape could be used as a sail perhaps. The only really specialized thing is Buzz' head, and who cares if there is ONE piece that can't be reused?

Zurg, everyone, does NOT have that much purple. He has about 8 purple quarter-cylinders, a dish, a few slopes, maybe a couple of bricks, and a propietary head. Just because there is a ton of purple visible doesn't mean it's full of purple.

True, but still... IT"S PURPLE!!! :tongue:

His head is a 4x4 cone with some other bits and pieces on it by the way. :wink:

purple

:classic:

So I know now that I am going to be getting quite a bit of this (including more than one Army Men battlepack).

Zurg is now supplying me with plenty of purple. I might try and get a few LGMs on bricklink (my favourite characters). Looks like 2010 is the year I get licensed lego in a big way.

Big Buzz looks great as a display set too (the dome might get tempting for MOCing). If opinion is correct and Agents is all over, looks like I won't be entering that set purchasing dark age (sorry bank balance) I was anticipating, with the quality of sets for next year, and all the shiny cool new elements I'll have plenty to buy!

These all look like really interesting sets, a lot better than I thought they would. I think the Wild West Scence and Buzz Lightyear Space Ship, along with the Army Men of course, look excellent. I'm still not that convinced by the 'Maxi-Figs' design for the Cowboys, but I can see the reason behind going in this direction with the theme.

My only concern is the speculation about inferior quaility Mini Fig parts, I presume the issues with these have already been raised with Lego by various ambassadors. If we are seeing the introduction of these low quailty parts into the general product line, as opposed to the merchandise line, it will be a sad day for us all. Personally I would like to think that Lego would not choose such a move, and will still stick to the principle of 'only the best is good enough'.

I propably buy just the spaceship- It have all minifigs I want- Zurg, alien and Buzz!

IMO All sest are very playable and Lego did a great job with this!

I bet the big Buzz will have Light Brick in his arm!

Oh And Midak SkyBlaster on Zurg made me LOL

Edited by Lordofdragonss

I bet the big Buzz will have Light Brick in his arm!

Looks like a sticker to me... Or hopefully a printed slope. But they did manage to include a flickfire missile :hmpf_bad: and rather badly so, I might add...

Still the general feel of those two giant fig remains fantastic.

as for the rest, they really look good. But I'm still not sure whether my budget will allow me to get them... or my shel sapce, for that matter... :cry_sad:

While I like the actual sets, I kind of have a hard time with the minifigs. I was afraid that Lego was going to make this line too much like a little kids line, and to me they have with the huge minifigs.

I probably buy just the spaceship- It have all minifigs I want- Zurg, alien and Buzz!

Actually, I don't think the spaceship includes an alien. There wasn't one in the prelim box art. Sure, there is one standing next to the ship in the D23 pic, but I think that's just a gathering of all the different minifigs of the line, like at toy fair. Of course this could still change (I hope it does; I want at least three aliens). We'll see.

And yellost is right. Buzz lazer simply consists of a flick fire and a stickered/printed slope. :sadnew:

They look quite nice, but I will still just get the Army Men. Speaking of which, the jeep behind them looks very good indeed! :thumbup: I think this will be another theme I will just admire on the shelves. :tongue:

Smart idea to have a giant Buzz person. :classic:

If they can mold specific pieces for this line, such as the large Buzz head and Zurg head which will probably only be in those two sets. Why can't they make a molded Rancor in the Star Wars line.

As I have pointed out before, Zurg's head is not molded. It's brick-built. So, aside from the minifigs, Giant Buzz' head is the only special piece in this line.

And they could make a Rancor if they wanted to, just like they did with the tauntaun and might do with the wampa next year, but they don't want to - yet. I could see a revamped Jabba's palace set being released in a few years, perhaps for the anniversary of ROTJ. But that's getting off-topic.

they can't make a giant rancor or wampa because if they are too much like the hasbro version they will get sued. they aren't supposed to even make figure packs...that's why they are now being sued for the battle packs. rancor and wampa will need to be brick-built... and that brings up the question of appropriateness. hard to put a rancor into a selling set. same with wampa. will look too thrown together...

If they are brickbuilt they will be worthless. They need to be molded like all the other creatures in the line, the Dianoga excluded. Besides Hasblow made a Tauntaun, yet so did LEGO. Same goes for the Dewback and what makes creatures different they say Greedo who closely resembles his film counterpart.

Edited by Oswald the Rabbit

they can't make a giant rancor or wampa because if they are too much like the hasbro version they will get sued. they aren't supposed to even make figure packs...that's why they are now being sued for the battle packs.

Where are you getting your info from? LEGO WAS sued, but that's why they make the battle packs because it's a construction set and not an action figure toy.

Let's keep to Toy Story discussion, thanks.

You have a whole forum to talk about Star Wars related issues :grin:

Let's keep to Toy Story discussion, thanks.

You have a whole forum to talk about Star Wars related issues :grin:

I find it odd how most people who like the LEGO Toy Story line are huge fans of LEGO Star Wars. :look:

I'm hoping that there will be some actual printed parts (aside from the minifigs and large Buzz's head) in this line. I can already see some parts that are definitely stickers, like the "JAIL" sign in the "Woody's Round-up" set (back of the tile is dark bley, front is brown, so it's a sticker). :sceptic:

Edited by ILikePi

You say Giant Zurg, I say...purple!

Also, how long until someone takes the Sheriff's Office/Jail set and points to it as evidence of the return of Western?

About 24 hours and 5 minutes. (Give or take.) Before Pirates II, we got steering wheels, cutlasses, and anchors back, so making a whole Woody's Round-up/Western set with an original, not-in-the-movie design, well, that's about as obvious as a TLG exec coming up to you on the street, slapping you in the face, and yelling: "We're bringing back Wild West, OK?! You got your freaking wish! Now like it or lump it!"

Of course, even if none of that happens, I'll just buy the set and be satisfied with what I've got.

And I don't know if I've said this before or not, but Lego army men for the win! (Even if they are inanimate plastic representations of animate plastic toys.)

Edited by Capt. Redblade

Man, I have to say, these were better than I expected! I think I'd have to get 2 of those Green Army Guys Packs. Speaking of, what is that thing behind the jeep? Is it another part of the jeep, or some other thing, like a flag?

Before Pirates II, we got steering wheels, cutlasses, and anchors back, so making a whole Woody's Round-up/Western set with an original, not-in-the-movie design, well, that's about as obvious as a TLG exec coming up to you on the street, slapping you in the face, and yelling: "We're bringing back Wild West, OK?! You got your freaking wish! Now like it or lump it!"

Well, this is different though. There are no WW specific pieces returning. Just one licensed WW-themed set which consists completely of parts that you can find in other current sets. I don't think that just because they made this one WW set for this theme means that we will see a whole WW theme soon. In fact, it wouldn't even make sense for them to release this set and then release basically the same set again, just without the licensed figs. :sceptic:

And just for the record, Woody's Round Up, including all the buildings seen in the set, was seen in TS2. It was the set of the black & white TV show Woody starred in. :wink:

Speaking of, what is that thing behind the jeep? Is it another part of the jeep, or some other thing, like a flag?

It's a green stretcher.

I think that Giant Zurg cape would work well with the UCS Grievous if it was long enough. :thumbup:

Yeah, that would be cool, even though GG's usual cape is a different color. But I doubt it's long enough, because GG is pretty tall, whereas Zurg is barely as tall as Sandy's Rocket. :sceptic:

Speaking of which, Zurg's piece cound should be about the same as that of the rocket, so here's to hoping that the set will be $30 instead of $40 as I feared. :sweet: However, Buzz may still be $40. :look:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

It's a green stretcher.

How much better can that set get? :wub: I'm getting more then one of these for sure. I do like the action figure Zurg but his legs or kama looks to round. Not like a skirt but like a PVC pipe he got his legs stuck in. :laugh:

It's a green stretcher.
Wow, thanks for pointing that out to us Oky Wan!

I agree with JCC1004; this "battle pack" is getting better by the day!

Edited by ILikePi

For me TLC did a good job and I don't have much to add to the comments that already been given. Beside that I will buy it for sure.

I was at the D23 Expo today, and I have a couple more pics of LEGO Toy Story and Prince of Persia that you guys have seen already. It never hurts to have more, right? Sorry for the blurry pics. The camera wasn't cooperating.

LEGOToyStory.jpg

LEGOToyStory-Zurg.jpg

LEGOToyStory-GreenSoldiers.jpg

LEGOPrinceofPersia-3.jpg

LEGOPrinceofPersia-2.jpg

LEGOPrinceofPersia-1.jpg

Note that the ostrich is probably a prototype (it's not polished).