JimBee

Flesh or Yellow Minifigures?

Which type of minifig do you like best?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favorite

• Yellow (only)
    • Flesh (all shades)
    • No preference

I voted for the fleshies because I like how clean and fresh they look compared to the yellow minifigures. However I do not like to mix the two of them. I still like yellow minifigures for the main reason that there is the most of them and all the diversity in faces and tops.

Wow, these numbers are a lot closer than I thought they'd be. I initially thought the results of this poll would more or less reflect the original vs. licensed sets poll, but that seems not to be the case. There's no reason to believe that a different set of people voted in that poll than in this poll, so it might be fair to say that quite a few people like fleshie figures despite not liking licensed sets. One has to wonder how people would feel about fleshies in original sets. Given the majority still like yellow minifigures, that won't happen anytime soon, but if it does, I wonder if people would still be ok about fleshies.

I like both equally. I don't mind mixing them, because it just looks like the flesh colored ones are paler (or the yellow ones have some sort of disease :tongue: ), but I usually try to keep them separate. Plus, if every skin color is mixed together, then you can have a great variety of LEGO races (or as I said before, LEGO skin diseases :grin: ).

:classic: Classic Yellow FTW! :classic:

I like that classic yellow minifigs are race-less so that kids around the world can identify with them. Producing flesh and yellow minifigs together goes against the mixing-and-matching across different themes, because they just don't look good together. I can personally understand LEGO's reasons for switching to fleshies for licensed themes, because it looks a little weird to have actors from different races being represented by the same yellow skin tone, but than again I don't think it would be necessary, because LEGO is all about imagination and kids especially are really good at that. Personally I don't buy licensed themes because of the fleshies and because they're overpriced, so as long as LEGO sticks to fleshies for licensed themes, I can live with that. I do have a couple of fleshies from a Spiderman set that I bought rather cheap for parts. I don't know what to do with the figs from that set: I'm considering using them as window dummies for a store. DON'T EVER SWITCH TO FLESHIES FOR YOUR 'OWN' THEMES LEGO! (did I say please? :classic: )

Edited by Rick77

I kinda got used to flesh, to the point where seeing a licensed fig (old Star Wars for example) in yellow makes me feel something is not right :classic: . But yesterday I put a flesh head on my favorite knight and he didn't look well. So I vote yellow, though flesh is not bad too. I guess it depends a lot on the other colors used in the minifig.

I really like both but they don't look good mixed together. However I like the flesh tones, I don't want them to take over the original yellow faces we've always had. That would kill the figs IMHO (like stated above, imagine the Simpsons all of a sudden in flesh tone, or a dark skin...)

Yellow is how they are, how they always have been and how they always will be. I really like the yellow universal minifigs, especially now they have emotional expressions nowadays(ever seen it during my childhood)!

I had a hard time voting but in the end went for straight yellow!

I'm surprised that the fleshies are so undesired.

I have no preference.

I like them all, but as many mentioned, not mixed together.

In the Ferrari Victory set there were 2 fleshies and one yellow, and that's just wrong!

In one of the new Indy sets there will be two nice new fake-tan coloured fleshies.

I like my minifigs yellow.

For me, the yellow minifig is a major selling point. I've amassed hundreds of yellow figs and I don't intend to switch over to something 'less yellow' simply because LEGO felt the need to be ethnically correct. The great thing about yellow figs was that they represented anybody and everybody without regard to race (and in the case of the smiley; gender). I'll leave the fleshies to folks who supported the 2004 colour change.

Can you imagine Homer Simpson having a flesh colour?

:sceptic:

I know I can't. :wink:

I like my minifigs yellow.

For me, the yellow minifig is a major selling point. I've amassed hundreds of yellow figs and I don't intend to switch over to something 'less yellow' simply because LEGO felt the need to me ethnically correct. The great thing about yellow figs was that they represented anybody and everybody without regard to race (and in the case of the smiley; gender). I'll leave the fleshies to folks who supported the 2004 colour change.

Funnily enough I think that the Simpsons is one of the things that led me to vote flesh. After all yellow skin = white skin in the Simpsons.

The other thing that has started to jar about having yellow minifigs is the range of other colours used for minifig heads now - green trolls, yellow and black skeletons - these minifigs have 'realistic' head colours, but the yellow humans don't. I appreciate Lego's intention of having a neutral colour to represent anyone's head, but that was when Lego was much less realistic, and lacked the range of colours available now.

I'm not an anti-yellowist I guess, but I certainly lean towards the more realistic colours they're producing for the licensed themes.

My main objection against the grey change of a few years back was compatibility. Don't get me started on mixing yellow and flesh tone minifigs. Furthermore, minifigs are the 'face' of Lego System and just ARE yellow. To me - and I think to many - it is one of the defining characteristics of the minifig and it's been like that for over 30 years (!) now.

This is difficult. It depends on the use of it. For historically correct MOCs, it will be flesh minifigs. For the rest yellow ones, see the post of Rick above.

Edited by Richie

Funnily enough I think that the Simpsons is one of the things that led me to vote flesh. After all yellow skin = white skin in the Simpsons.

The other thing that has started to jar about having yellow minifigs is the range of other colours used for minifig heads now - green trolls, yellow and black skeletons - these minifigs have 'realistic' head colours, but the yellow humans don't. I appreciate Lego's intention of having a neutral colour to represent anyone's head, but that was when Lego was much less realistic, and lacked the range of colours available now.

I'm not an anti-yellowist I guess, but I certainly lean towards the more realistic colours they're producing for the licensed themes.

The big difference is that with the Simspons yellow=white skin only because some other ethnic groups are coloured brown. LEGO never took this approach (prior to Star Wars). If LEGO had stuck to its guns and made Lando yellow there would have been no distinction. Also; I'm not sure if the word realism really is appropriate when discribing trolls, zombie skeletons or any other fantasy folk.

Edited by blueandwhite

I remain classic so I voted yellow. Not only for compability, as Rick says, but also for keeping the LEGO traditional MF feeling :wink:

After searching multiple times and even asking other members, I found that there is no flesh vs. yellow minifig topic. ( :oh3: )

I was thinking of making a topic like this but I was sure that a "Flesh Vs Yellow" topic would've been made if not afew...

I used to hate flesh and didnt like it...but in the last 2-3 years I've liked flesh even though theres more yellow in my collection the flesh I prefer flesh it looks more accurate and I prefer to build with flesh minifigs.

I like flesh more, but I'd rather have yellow's seeing as that's what I have alot of, I don't realy like to mix them much.

I hate fleshies, so I obviously voted for yellow. I own a few fleshies because of my Batman and Indy sets, but I really hate them.

I actually like both fleshies and yellows. Certain characters look better in fleshie, and some better in yellow. I think making licensed characters flesh and original themes yellow works pretty well. The only downside would be not being able to use fleshie heads for yellow characters, and some torsos that show flesh or yellow.

My vote went to no preference :classic:

My love of fleshies does stem from the awesome figs to come out of indy and batman.

I prefer to use them the female faces are really awesome. ( i love Ivy's and Willie's )

If they could make some awesome heads in yellow i would defect.

I prefer the Fleshies. I collect mostly Star Wars nowadays, and since 2004(?) they have been in the sets. Originally the only racially correct fig was Lando, and I wanted more Black people. Yellow Jedi really aren't that cool. Now there are a few more Black people heads (not counting those strange NBA people) and they are also introducing rather Asian/ Middle Eastern people with the new Indy sets. It seems to me that flesh figs are better because of the variety offered. I think that if and after the LEGO Star Wars license ends in 2011, they should re-release all of the sets with flesh figs.

All the theme sets, like Indy, and Star Wars, I prefer the flesh tones for realism, town, city, and the themes that are more classic, Yellow is the only way to go!