WesternOutlaw

What Town Sets Are You Saving?

Do any of you save your sets, in unopened boxes? Are there any Town/City sets that you may have purchased two or more of, in order to open one, and perhaps leave one in mint condition? What qualities do you look for in a "savable" set? Age? Legend? Classic Town?

Discuss those extra-special Town & City sets here.

I'm terrible! I open everything I get. The only 2 sets I still have unopened from the town (World City) theme are...

Very interesting topic! :thumbup:

Among my current collection, my town and city collection is growing steadily ever since I regain my interest in them. I have the urge to buy at least 2 sets for most of my LEGO themes which I had ever purchase. One will be kept safe for MISB and one shall be for Display and Playing purposes. It's a very costly and expensive way to collect LEGO especially when you are in for multiple sets. In this way, I will have to prioritise my liking accordingly through various Classic Town, City, Exclusives and Modular City Buildings released thus far.

Most of my building and larger sets are in MISB, as to put across bluntly, I simply do not have the space and display area to showcase them after building them. I will need to purchase large storage plastic containers to place them inside in order to preserve and prevent dust from invading. For my Modular City buildings which consist of Cafe Corner, Green Grocer and Market Street is a great combination set for any City Lovers. Unfortunately, most of these sets are only available in overseas or exclusive to Shop@Home, which make it even more costly for it to invest multiple. Therefore, these treasures are still in mint until I am able to find a safe place to store them. Getting 2 x Town Plan is worthwhile simply for its nostaligic classic feeling for its buildings and minifigs.

One of my best Classic set which I am looking forward to open is the 10159 City Airport that is part of the LEGEND Series. I am glad to own 2 sets of them, in MISB, and I am actually intending to open both of these to build a larger runway due to the large amount of baseplates available, passenger planes and tons of airport staff and passengers.

I don't own much past Classic Town sets which are released in 1980s and most of these sets are broken apart and stored in a mess. It's extremely hard to revive and restore this sets. I did consider buying them off via eBay or BrickLink, but the current City collection is tempting me which make me focus to concerate on the existing release first. Despite of that, there are still few Classic Town childhood set which I am looking such as the 6386 Police Command Base and 6378 Shell Service Station.

Ever since the re-released of minifig town pack such as the 8401 City Minifig collection, I had buying multiples of these, simply to build up its town citizens. Before that, I had to source for the 9247 Community Workers and expand my minifigs with those Classic smiley. I did have an extra set, but I gave it to my gf last year on her birthday, and she loved it because of the tons of minifigs in there.

As for the recent City collection, I had completed certain sub themes, such as Harbour, Police, Airport, Coast Guard and etc. In fact, I opened most of the small to medium sets' vehicles as these are relatively much easier to store. Most of these themes which are mainly buildings are still kept in my boxes and I only bought one to play, unlike the exclusives or able to expand like those army building kinds.

I always look for town and city sets which is part of my future tabletop master plan, which consist of various sub themes that can be integrated together. With the current Farm, Construction, and Transport related sets, I can't stop to expand mine town at a rapid rate. Right now, I am saving up to get a few City Corner sets and almost every of the upcoming City sets available in Summer. I don't think I will be buying lots of multiple as there are other themes which I am collecting too, unless it's value for money or useful for my expansion, more importantly to my liking. One of the main consideration right now, is to think whether to include a train setup and this is still under careful consideration, as I am not sure how much I am able to sustain a railway setup inside my town plan.

Guess I had written a little bit off track or too much, I will add more of it later, if I could think of any. :wub:

Interesting topic, I see some similarities with the much discussed MISB-topic with the question whether Lego is to play with or not. But let's not get into that again...

Anyway, I have some town MISB-sets from the town theme, I save them until I find a cheap MIB-one so that I can sell the MISB.

I have the following:

3442-1.jpg6420-1.jpg

1782-1.jpg6552-1.jpg

1610-1.jpg

And those are just the townsets... Hmm this MISB thing is turning into a hobby... I must start building some day!

I like the sound of the rattling of those old sets, but I am not really a MISB-saver. It sort of grew out of a lack of time at some point.

The only set I bought more of to save a few copies is the above pictured mailman, these sets were just one euro a piece once and I stocked up on them.

The longest anything has staid in a box for me was 2 weeks (Giant Bulldozer, brought because it was cheap!). Usually they are built the same day I get them, if I have time. I do buy occasional multiples, but these are for parts I want so they get opened and sorted quickly as well. I would like to be able to keep MISB, I think it might be a good investment for resale maybe, but at the moment I would not be able to resist the temptation.

So I am not saving anything, even though I think it might be a good idea!

Never collected MISB boxes. I don't think I'll ever start. I don't have the extra cash to burn on buying nice new sets twice and even if/when I do, I'd rather spend it on another LEGO set or something else instead of just saving a set somewhere in the closet because its resale value would be big.

Perhaps one of the reasons for me doing so is the fact that I don't really believe there's that many LEGO collectors here in Bulgaria. And MISB old(ish) sets can be bought from almost anywhere in the world via Bricklink and/or eBay, so that turns collecting such sets into a bad idea market-wise.

Lately I've bought a few MIB sets and I must say I'm perfectly satisfied. I prefer that to paying the triple/quadruple price for a MISB set which is more or less of the same quality - even if I know I'll be the first one to open that box, that's not the thing that really makes it enjoyable for me. Hell, even the "B" part isn't that important - as long as the pieces are all there and in perfect condition and I still have the instructions (which I always keep), I don't really need to save the box - OR the set in its original appearance.

So there you have it. Guess we're going to have to start a Bricklink store somewhere along the way, but I'd rather have that happen than start collecting MISB items - at least that would save me more space :tongue:

I am saving for the entire Farm line :thumbup: .

I just love the cows and animals and this is a first time line for LEGO (not counting DUPLO and stuff)!

I don't think the topic is about 'saving for...', but rather about saving sets in MISB condition.

Anyway: on topic, I don't actively do this, although I have a few MISB copies of sets bought on heavy discounts. I only have one 'mail man with yellow bike' extra in MISB condition.

I never save sets, I buy, I build, I destroy, I moc ^^ I'm not a "set collector", so I don't really care about keeping MISB ^^

A limited edition Super Chief. I've got 3 opened Super Chiefs, 2 ordinary ones and a limited edition one. So I don't feel tempted to open the MISB set. It's a collector's item for me. Of course, the Super Chief is a train set, but I don't really differentiate between train and town.

Edited by legotrainfan

Nice idea here.

Now, I don't own any MISB sets in any theme, I'm one of those people who stares at the thing in the car the whole drive home, just dying to open it and build immediately. :grin:

However, if there's a special set out there that I might find, than I'll most likely save it in its box, because until I check BrickLink to see how much it's worth, I'll just think "To build, or not to build? That's a dumb question." :hmpf_bad:

I never save sets, I buy, I build, I destroy, I moc ^^ I'm not a "set collector", so I don't really care about keeping MISB ^^

Guss summed up my thoughts on this subject. :thumbup:

I have a few MISB sets I have bought over the years. Most of them are doubles or triples I find real cheap, and just keep them sealed. I am also all about opening and building, but having something sealed and finding it down the road is a neat feeling. Here's a couple:

10152.jpg

8389.jpg

That's a great and very interesting topic, TheBrickster! :thumbup:

Until last year I opened all sets I bought and built them up.

At the moment I still own three Public Worker Impulse sets (of last year) unopened, the last version of the mail van (of last year) and the new Farm set unopened. And I even don't plan to open them in the next years:

The public workers I bought for having some more big dustbins for a later, bigger and complete layout of my Lego City somewhere in the future when I hopefully will have got enough place to display them constantly - but that's a lot of years until then (I know that this might sound a bit stupid to some of you but ...).

The last version of the mail van I'll sell as soon as TLG will release a new version of it which includes car doors.

And the new Farm set I'll sell as soon as TLG will release a better and more detailed version of it. If they don't I'll built it up when there'll be the point when I've got the chance to display all my City sets constantly in a huge City layout.

This year I only plan to buy one City set which shall stay unopened: a second exemplar of the awesome 7747 Wind Turbine Transport. The first exemplar I'll built up - the second will stay unopened to build it up when I (hopefully) will have more place in my final City layout.

For the next years I can well imagine that I'll buy many City sets which I'll let unopened - simply because I have only very few space still left.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Guss summed up my thoughts on this subject. :thumbup:

Count me in too :tongue: I can understand MISB lovers but personally I don't even keep the boxes unless they're mythical or very very cool...