These are drawers from cabinet made for storing screws and other small "tools". Like what was posted often above and on previous pages ;)

For those of you in the U.S. (and so inclined to use this kind of storage) woot.com is having a sale on this style akro-mills bins and wall mounts. It's one day, one deal, so you have to get it today. There is a selection of different sizes.

c1dd63ac-1e8a-453b-adbc-71bdc28dcd98.jpg

Prices range from $40 to $55 for packages, depending on the sizes you pick. (picture is link)

Edited by fred67

My school has those drawers for holding fischertechnik parts, and I've wondered how they would work with Lego. They're more expensive than what I use, so I guess I won't find out. (Read the part under Investing).

My school has those drawers for holding fischertechnik parts, and I've wondered how they would work with Lego. They're more expensive than what I use, so I guess I won't find out. (Read the part under Investing).

To some extent I view buying storage as investing in either time savings when building (well once I get stuff sorted, ARRRGGHH!) as well as protecting what I've spent on the parts already. By having proper storage I know it's unlikely that I'm going to have pieces get damaged, randomly lost etc. There is some cost to it but for practical reasons you need SOME way of storing your parts. Obviously there's a wide range of options with the same range of cost and usefulness. I posted a ways back that I choose the Stanely Professional Organizers in a mix of Deep and Shallow lift out bins (they're the black and yellow ones). The feature mix of having the lift out bins and a securely latching lid works for my active, sorted storage. Sets and larger or unsorted brick are in large flip-top storage totes.

Collection size can also influence what you use to for storage and how easy it is to change it over, as well as the expense of doing so. I'd suggest keeping an eye out on which options are/have been available over time, very little is worse than have incompatiable stoarge, beyond have said storage fall over and spill out parts because it was incompatiable......

In the end folks need to decide what works for them, their budget and physical space, I think I can guarantee that it will be different from what I have wound up with.

Just want to share with my updated LEGO room.

it includes:

pieces wall

display shelves

2 building tables

LEGO FLL table

kids train table

Still need some cleanup work. but I think I will not add any new furniture anymore..

will try to spend more time on building! :)

9160366079_ca4e1179bc_c.jpg

9162589326_590bf1762e_c.jpg

9162590068_8a52735ed3_c.jpg

9160368721_d266eae9fb_c.jpg

@happymark:

:drool:

That's a nice room you have there! And the content of the room is even better :wink:

That is awesome. Very large. A lot of sorting to accomplish that.

Are there any tutorials out there to make a sizable minifigure like your Superman? I wouldn't mind making one of Batman, or some LOTR figure.

Thank you. the Superman is based on set 3723. (I did add moving head/arm and light eyes though :)

That is awesome. Very large. A lot of sorting to accomplish that.

Are there any tutorials out there to make a sizable minifigure like your Superman? I wouldn't mind making one of Batman, or some LOTR figure.

i recently moved. all my bionicles are stored in independent bags or canisters in boxes with padding located in a climate controlled storage unit. its pretty full

My Lego Bag is great for storage. Its great for the kids Lego too so we don't have to pick it up all the time. I think the brand is Toyzbag. Johnny

I have read every post in this thread, at least twice, maybe three or four times. Started contributing to this thread in May 2011. I have been trying to get organized for the last, at least two to two and a half years. I started with the Plano boxes (too limiting) then I committed to the Akron Mills drawers (didn’t want to have a room full of boxes) then I put some shelves in the closet and committed to the Glad Entree food storage containers. Then I had a room remodeled to create my studio, ( http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80916 ) added a build desk, display shelves and five enclosed cabinets to store sets and parts. This was going to be the answer to all my problems my LEGO storage salvation and solution (yeah right). I decided to commit to (again, another commitment) to 15 quart plastic tubs and freezer baggies for parts storage (I have room for about 22 tubs). Now I have decided to use a combination approach; some small parts in the food storage containers in the closet, some storage in the Akron Mills drawers and the 15 quart bins with the plastic baggies.

It all seemed so easy... I am getting my parts sorted. Just grab a tub or baggie or bunch of parts, sit at my desk and sort.

But what do I have?

And where are they?

I have an account with BaseBrick which lists sets and loose parts that I have cataloged, but not all done. I was trying to find some parts today... That I am sure I have, but it just wasn’t easy. I found some parts, but not exactly what I was expecting but for the purpose, but they worked. I need to do better.

I am looking for inspiration for a sorting, storing and organizing solution...

What are some of you doing that use tubs?

(if you just throw all your parts in the tub, regardless of color or function, I am not sure you are organizing, you are just just storing.)

Do you put parts in tubs by color?

Or by function?

Are you happy with your solution?

Help! Or is this beyond help?

Oh well, back to the never ending sorting (or as them movie poster says “Forever Sorting”)

Andy D

Help! Or is this beyond help?

Oh well, back to the never ending sorting (or as them movie poster says “Forever Sorting”)

Andy D

I haven't found the perfect solution yet ... the poster is correct in that this is a never-ending cycle. I've found my storage solution has evolved as I get more pieces and sets. I'm fairly happy with what I use at the moment, but even then I am currently thinking about the next evolution as some of my parts drawers are getting full.

Anyway, this is what works for me (at the moment), for about 55,000 parts:

• Small parts that I use often (other than bricks) - in drawers (similar to Akro-Mills, but smaller) within arm's reach, sorted by BrickLink categories. Those that I have a lot of get further separate by colour or colour groups (B,W&Grey; earths, rainbow, pinks&purples).
  • Small parts that I use less often (other than bricks) - in small plastic boxes, sorted by BrickLink category.
  • Bricks that tend to use for my buildings - sorted by colour in plastic containers with lids. These containers are shallow to make it easier to find pieces. Some of them have small tubs inside them to hold the 1x1s. Colours that I have a lot of get two boxes (smalls and bigs). There are separate small shallow containers for 2x bricks for some colours that use in MOCs.
  • Bricks in red, blue, green, yellow - One large tub.
  • Plates up to 2x10 - plastic boxes with dividers, sorted by colour. Those that I have a lot of get their on box, others in their colour groups.
  • Minifigs - in plastic boxes with dividers, sorted by general theme (city people, warriors, Star Wars, fantasy)
  • Minifig accessories - in large plastic box with dividers.
  • Furnishings - a large plastic box with dividers, for those things that I use as furnishings and fittings (e.g. containers, radar dishes, printed tiles,, plain heads, mailboxes, cupboards, rubbish bins
  • Separate plastic boxes with dividers for: plants, black roof tiles, windows, doors, large plates, printed / stickered, panels, round and large special plates, wedges, technic bricks, technic pins and connectors, technic plates large technic, small car parts, tyres etc, large car parts

You can click here for a couple of photos of what it all looks like. Apologies upfront for the crappy quality!

I have stuck to two brands (Fischer Plastic for plastic boxes and drawers) and (decor tellfresh). With the benefit of hindsight, I would have ordered 10 Akro-Mills drawer units of varying combinations through Amazon. This would have been a lot cheaper, but I really had no idea how this would grow.

We also have a range of sets, either in their own plastic containers (for the larger sets) or in ziplock bags in larger tubs (for smaller sets), which sit in a separate shelf unit. These are primarily for my daughter. If it was just for me, I would do away with the sets and have everything sorted as above.

Oh, yeah. And the massive spreadsheet to keep track of what I own. In this spreadsheet, I make a distinction between parts that come from sets and those that I have bought from BrickLink. This would be a much simplified spreadsheet if I didn't need to keep track of the parts that are sitting in the set boxes.

Wow, Kristel, you are way more organized than I am. But I guess you would have to be to turn out those great MOCs of yours.

So far, I've only been sorting out pieces I have noticed I need a lot of at any given time. And with that, most of them have been smaller pieces, so they won't get lost in the larger containers. So tiles, plates, cheese slopes, 1x1 round plates, and headlight bricks (also the modified bricks with studs on on or two sides for SNOT-work). The rest are separated by color for right now. That seems to be working for the time being, but if I had unlimited time (or if I could devote other time to it, then it would work out better.

I haven't found the perfect solution yet ... the poster is correct in that this is a never-ending cycle. I've found my storage solution has evolved as I get more pieces and sets. I'm fairly happy with what I use at the moment, but even then I am currently thinking about the next evolution as some of my parts drawers are getting full.

Anyway, this is what works for me (at the moment), for about 55,000 parts:

...snip wonderful info that I will review and use... Thanks!

Oh, yeah. And the massive spreadsheet to keep track of what I own. In this spreadsheet, I make a distinction between parts that come from sets and those that I have bought from BrickLink. This would be a much simplified spreadsheet if I didn't need to keep track of the parts that are sitting in the set boxes.

Wow! Talk about organization. That is fantastic!

Are you sure it is only about 55,000 parts. I hope it is more, as Brickset says I have some 80,000 parts (mostly tied up in unbuilt sets). I think I might have about 10,000 to 20,000 loose parts from Bricklink purchases, disassembled sets and PAB purchases.

I am sure some of the ideas you presented willbe very helpful as I begin anew my sorting and storing process.

Does your spreadsheet have pictures or just number/name of parts? I am using BaseBrick, but the downside is that it is an online database and it could go away. I really hope not as it is a valuable online resource.

Thanks again,

Andy D

leo_list.jpg

This is what my collection looks like as of about 6 months ago when my computer died. I keep everything in an openoffice.com spreadsheet with pictures from bricklink. My storage is still a mess and is in the, what I like to call, the primary sort. But this is how I keep organized in terms of knowing what I have.

How about making the collection list in Brickstore? :classic:

I like the idea of using Brickstore, however I don't want to enter all my sets and parts again.

Is there a way to import a Bricklink XML file into Brickstore?

Thanks,

Andy D

leo_list.jpg

This is what my collection looks like as of about 6 months ago when my computer died. I keep everything in an openoffice.com spreadsheet with pictures from bricklink. My storage is still a mess and is in the, what I like to call, the primary sort. But this is how I keep organized in terms of knowing what I have.

Hi Tom,

I have been trying to keep a similar inventory in Excel. Could you let me know what program you are using to update your inventory and import it into Excel? It would be great if you could show how you proceed to make such list.

Thanks so much in advance

Wow, Kristel, you are way more organized than I am. But I guess you would have to be to turn out those great MOCs of yours.

I don't know if there is necessarily a correlation between being OCD about storage and making great MOCs, but thanks anyway! :classic:

Wow! Talk about organization. That is fantastic! Are you sure it is only about 55,000 parts. I hope it is more, as Brickset says I have some 80,000 parts (mostly tied up in unbuilt sets). I think I might have about 10,000 to 20,000 loose parts from Bricklink purchases, disassembled sets and PAB purchases. I am sure some of the ideas you presented willbe very helpful as I begin anew my sorting and storing process. Does your spreadsheet have pictures or just number/name of parts? I am using BaseBrick, but the downside is that it is an online database and it could go away. I really hope not as it is a valuable online resource. Thanks again, Andy D

Thanks, Andy. I checked my spreadsheet again post and it's actually just over 60,000 now. There is one other shelf unit that holds the boxes with the sets, which is not shown in the photos.

My spreadsheet doesn't have pictures, but it's not a big deal anymore as I've learnt to recognise most of what I have by BrickLink name. I did start off trying to include pictures but it quickly became too big.

I like the idea of using Brickstore, however I don't want to enter all my sets and parts again. Is there a way to import a Bricklink XML file into Brickstore? Thanks, Andy D

I think the answer to your question is yes, but I think there are better options than BrickStore, especially given that this isn't being supported by the developer.

I have a copy of my inventory with Rebrickable as well as my own spreadsheet. This is an online database, which is actively supported and has good integration with BrickLink. All my parts come from sets or BrickLink and you can add both very easily to your inventory. If you have a BrickLink XML file of your inventory, you can upload that directly to Rebrickable.

Hi Tom,

I have been trying to keep a similar inventory in Excel. Could you let me know what program you are using to update your inventory and import it into Excel? It would be great if you could show how you proceed to make such list.

Thanks so much in advance

In all honesty, the system I use is just counting my sorting bricks and counting them by hand then typing directly into excel/openoffice. I update it roughly every 6 months or so, which means dumping out the storage and recounting...it works for me

Still sorting and storing

I am sorting into Glad food storage containers by color.

Next by type and size.

Then put into plastic freezer bags and into 15 quart storage containers.

When that step is done, get the containers out 1 at a time, count and input into BaseBrick for an inventory listing.

As you can see, this takes up most all of my available countertop and desktop (build) space.

Here's what about 1/3 of my loose parts looks like right now

9241284747_43a0170b70_c.jpg

photo by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

the is the rest of the 1/3 of my loose parts

9241285119_235e4cfaa0_c.jpg

photo by MyPlasticBricks, on Flickr

Well, back to sorting... Wish me luck

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Has anyone used the LEgo suitcase-like boxes for storages of a small amount of LEgos?

My son is getting his first Legos for his birthday (age 6) and I'm trying to make the storage solution something he can handle. The wooden box my dad made for me as a kid will be too heavy for him to handle. But I'm seeing many of these plastic Lego suitcases on ebay for affordable prices. But I am not finding reviews.

(Lego Set 190 Farm Set, 6382 Fire Station, and two modern day Super Hero sets that I know of for sure. Minus the old minifigures because they weren't in the box with my old Legos. Maybe the Kitchen and Bathroom (269 and 261) sets too.

Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.