brickbitz

Review: 7979 Castle Advent Calendar (First Look)

Rate the set  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Vote your opinion

• Poor
    • Below Average
    • Average
    • Above Average
    • Outstanding

I got mine today, along with the new City calendar as well, but my Death Star has been taking up my time, so I've not cracked it open yet.

Dr. S.

Hm, I still hope we get it in the US. It looks great! If not, I'll snag the City one. By the way, does anyone know if these are S@H exclusives? Sorry if I seem noobish about this... :blush:

After seeing this I'm even more disappointed that we won't get this set in the U.S. :cry_sad:

Ah well, you can't have everything...

Thanks for the pictures though! :thumbup:

Thank you very much for this review, brickbitz! :sweet:

The parts of this advent calendar are really great :wub: ! The only thing I really miss is a medieval market stand :cry_sad: . But despite from that it's amazing - we even get a fireplace for the witch :oh3: !

Klaus-Dieter

Thanks for the heads-up!! Love the pics and I'll be damned if I'm gonna be denied this set!!

European Agent R. - you are go!!!

*oh2*

It's not Christmas yet!! You opened it... :look:

:tongue:

Thanks for the great review. I can't wait to get my hands on this. Since I live in the states, it will take some sleuthing. Luckily, I happen to somehow know some very nice Europeans. Now, I'm very glad I started posting here and not one of the other sites. :grin: In situations like this, it helps to be a member of Eurobricks.

Awesome stuff.

This year's calender looks phenomenal. It's too bad that it's going to be such a challenge for me to pick one of these up as I live in Canada. Even worse is that the Bricklink prices are going to be completely insane. Right now, a Joker has listed for $25.00!! To pick up a few of those working ladies and a Joker could end up costing nearly $100 for those of us without any European connections.

Can you tell something about the size and the weight of the box (including the bricks of course :wink: )?

The box measures 38.4 x 28.8 x 7.2 cm (roughly 15" x 11 1/4" x 3") and weighs 0.4 kg (14 oz).

Someone else asked if there's a beard piece for the dwarf. There is.

Yet someone else complained there was no king. If you're in the UK and you're after a king and lots of other minifigs at a reasonable price, the old chess set is on sale at S@H. I ordered the calendar, the old chess set and (an extra) good wizard - and they arrived today. I'm a happy bunny! :sweet:

Amps

I think the box looks fantastic. The winter scenery with the minifigs and the castle in the background. Pure art :wub:

It contains a lot of useful little items that I can use for a MOC I'm building.

Also I wanted to have a dwarfs beard for some time now, so here's my chance without me having to buy a big set.

Besides all those reasons I'm buying it to get a jester and those females.

Just ordered via Shop@home. I don't want to miss this one!

This set sure is expensive. So few pieces are given. But I like the minifigs especially the clown and the witch.

It looks pretty good. I really love the Jester, and all the little models included in the calendar although I will probably get the city one. Great review.

The only thing I want to know is what part is on the 24th (I bet someone's already asked)

And if I get it I WON'T open it until 1st december! :tongue:

Brickblitz, thanks for sharing. This is a very comprehensive review, which gives us a good insight on its advent content. :thumbup:

The jester, maiden, dwarf and the witch are the key figures which I am searching for, especially the maiden. She looks awfully sweet. The accessories offered are great as well, such as the weapons, snake, frog, spider, gold ore, rat, carrot, drum stick, gold plate and etc. Excellent pieces to add to your kingdom. I will love to get multiple sets of these. :blush:

The only thing I want to know is what part is on the 24th (I bet someone's already asked)

Good point as there are no Santa's or Christmas trees.

Actually IMHO they save the best til last, it is in fact the Jester on the 24th. ( Assuming I'm looking at the back properly :tongue: )

I think the box looks fantastic. The winter scenery with the minifigs and the castle in the background. Pure art :wub:

It contains a lot of useful little items that I can use for a MOC I'm building.

Also I wanted to have a dwarfs beard for some time now, so here's my chance without me having to buy a big set.

Besides all those reasons I'm buying it to get a jester and those females.

Just ordered via Shop@home. I don't want to miss this one!

You can also get a dwarfs beard in the dwarf mine defender it is only 9.99 euro

Thank you for the nice review.

If I can I will take a set of this. I hope now the maid and the jester are made, there will be in further sets also persons like these. :thumbup::cry_happy::wink:

I may actually be able to get this! :classic:

On S@H I switched the country to Germany and had it shipped to my relative's house (they will ship it to the U.S.) and it seemed to work! :thumbup:

Just an idea if any of you have a friend or relative in Europe.

Hopefully it works.

Thanks for the review! I hope this comes to Aus :cry_happy:

I believe it will. I was chatting with S@H in the UK (actually, I think the call centre is in Germany). They confirmed that it would not be released in North America. They thought, but were not entirely certain, that it would be available in all other territories where TLC currently sells - which would include Oz. Fair dinkum!

Could someone tell me how much this set costs in the UK?

Also, how much is the Good Wizard set?

Thanks!! :classic:

12,99 and 2,49, you can also check S@H :wink:

I don't really think it is that expensive (17,50€) for 9 minifigs+ some accesories (even thought I don't really see the skellies as minifigs and don't really like them). I was afraid it would cost more.

I don't really think it is that expensive (17,50€) for 9 minifigs+ some accesories (even thought I don't really see the skellies as minifigs and don't really like them). I was afraid it would cost more.

Meh, the price for Finland is actually 20,95€ in shop.lego.com. I guess they think we're frigging millionaires in this country, since everything's priced higher than in other countries. I'd understand more if we were talking about shipping costs here, but no! It's just because of the "economy"!

I'm no economist, but I really can't understand the different prices for different countries, especially within the same continent. :sceptic:

I'm just glad the price is still affordable, though. If I only I had a proper VISA to make the purchase... :hmpf:

If I only I had a proper VISA to make the purchase... :hmpf:

I don't know about Finland, but here in the UK you can buy Mastercards over the counter with cash. You can then use the card just as you would any other credit card. Sure, you have to pay a small fee for the card in the first place, but thereafter there's no extra charge. A friend of mine used one from a company called idtprime and it worked fine.

In theory, you have to be 18 to purchase one. But my guess is that many retailers of these cards don't care who they sell to. So even if you're a kid, you can order this way at S@H.