Murdoch17

Wild West steam locomotives - four real world MOCs (finally after three years, they're done!)

Posted (edited)

This long journey started in November 2021 with a used copy of Toy Story 3 set 7597 - Western Train Chase - bought from a local Lego resale shop here in St. Louis. I quickly expanded the loco to have a tender, then working pistons, and finally rolling stock. I was then inspired by the original 1955 engines from Disneyland for a second coal-burning loco, (the C.P. Jupiter and U.P. 119 from the Last Spike Ceremony of 1869 was also an inspiration!) and then awhile later a 4-2-4T styled after the C.P. Huntington. (This became a 2-4-4T last December.) The 4-10-0 was originally 8-wide, and was built before I got the 7597 set in August 2021. I never liked it in eight wide, (I never even photographed it in that form) and when I was taking apart all my eight wide MOCs recently, I took pity on it and converted it into 6 wide to preserve it. Then, I tooj photos of all the locos... I still haven't finished some of the freight cars, so the rolling stock will be added later. (I promise it won't be three more years!)

53665214682_3609f6ba54_z.jpg

The trains all together.

53662535910_26772695a1_z.jpg

This is the first one finished. This 4-4-0 pulls my passenger train.

53662425284_f387545ea9_z.jpg

Rear of loco No. 1. It's styled as a mid-to-late 1860's wood burning loco. You could also say it is likened to the Jupiter and the Gov. Stanford of Central Pacific Railroad fame.

53664763489_8f9947e91f_z.jpg

This is my coal burning 4-4-0 (numbered 8), and pulls my railroad executive's train.

53664622203_c37ed27604_z.jpg

This is modeled after a early-to-mid 1870s loco, but it could be considered to partially resemble the Union Pacific 119 from the Last Spike ceremony of 1869.

53387408142_a22a7d0e2f_z.jpg

The 2-4-4 tank engine I'm using as a switcher. In my fictional backstory I wrote, loco No. 4 was originally a 0-4-4 Forney loco that soon needed a leading two wheel pony truck to operate better at speed and keep wear down on the front set of driving wheels.

53388328861_6ca8c8f074_z.jpg

Of course, in reality, it was first built as a 4-2-4T like the C.P. Huntington you can still see in the California State RR Museum, or at you local Zoo / amusement park, as smaller-scale replicas are made by Chance Rides for places like that.

53660565646_7daf70fc1d_z.jpg

This loco (No. 3) is modeled after the only 4-10-0 to ever run on US Rails. This, of course, was the 1883-vintage El Gobernador. (Spanish for "the Governor") The real locomotive was a colossal failure, but this one is (in my fictional backstory) built from the plans with the mistakes corrected, making the loco a good drag-freight engine.

53660565641_8b85278806_z.jpg

...I just realized these locos are almost all modeled after CP engines! This was totally accidental, and wasn't noticed until I made this thread.

Anyway, that's all I got. Comments, questions, and other things like that are welcome!

Edited by Murdoch17

The old Western steam locomotives are my personal favorite type of loco.  Those look Great!  Thanks for the inspiration!  :classic:

the simple classic lego style is wonderful for these older locomotives!

17 hours ago, JWBDolphins said:

The old Western steam locomotives are my personal favorite type of loco.  Those look Great!  Thanks for the inspiration!  :classic:

Thanks @JWBDolphins for the kind words!

15 hours ago, Ropefish said:

the simple classic lego style is wonderful for these older locomotives!

Thank you @Ropefish, I agree on the classic style!

Also, Thanks to whoever front paged this thread! It's a great honor!

3 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Also, Thanks to whoever front paged this thread! It's a great honor!

Persistence pays off :)

21 hours ago, eric_son_of_joseph said:

They all look great!  Congratulations on finishing and thanks for sharing!  Looking forward to more pics once you finish up the rolling stock.

Thank you, I'll try to get it done soon!

I also realized I forgot a picture of the rear of the 4-10-0. So I just added it.

Nice collection of steam engines. Glad to see them in brick form. For the 0-4-4T Forney that is modified, there is precedent for adding the pony truck. Disneyland engine 3 is also a 2-4-4T modified from a Baldwin 0-4-4T.

1 hour ago, Feuer Zug said:

Nice collection of steam engines. Glad to see them in brick form. For the 0-4-4T Forney that is modified, there is precedent for adding the pony truck. Disneyland engine 3 is also a 2-4-4T modified from a Baldwin 0-4-4T.

Huh! Didn't know that about their being a precedent at Disneyland. (I did know of other cases from way back when, though) So I guess then that 3/4's of my engines are Disneyland inspired? (Let me know when they get a 4-10-0!)

Thanks for the info @Feuer Zug!