Sign in to follow this  
GreenhouseBricker

2025 Castle Theme [wishlist/speculation]

35 minutes ago, GreenhouseBricker said:

LEGO IDEA just released two new sets that have been reviewed and will be officially released. One of those sets is the Minifigure Prize Machine. In the blog post LEGO said:

"In conjunction with approving this submission, we're excited that we'll be able to include a variety of fun Minifigures in this upcoming LEGO Ideas set. As a result, we'll be designing a few new Minifigures that will be included. BUT we will need your help to determine aspects of two of them. In the coming weeks, we'll therefore launch 2 separate fan votes where you'll get to vote for:

1) a new Classic Spaceman colour

2) a new Castle faction emblem"

What factions are you voting for? 

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/1d2fa9a9-b6a6-4521-921d-7567869881d9

Lol, that’s funny beuase i posted my question here asking what new faction they would do….

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

Lol, that’s funny beuase i posted my question here asking what new faction they would do….

Would you want LEGO to do something new like a chevron knight? There are some pretty cool concepts from Brickstars.

3 hours ago, GreenhouseBricker said:

Would you want LEGO to do something new like a chevron knight? There are some pretty cool concepts from Brickstars.

Sure why not? :)

I'm guessing purple is out for the "new" classic spaceman color.  Reason being they already made it for that employee set last year.  So out of existing LEGO colors what do others wish for?  I'd vote for Medium Lavender, Bright Reddish Violet or Medium Blueish Green.  As for the new Castle Faction something interesting that isn't reptilian.

Has Dark Bluish Grey ever come out? I wouldn't mind a classic astronaut in that color.

1 hour ago, GeoBrick said:

Has Dark Bluish Grey ever come out? 

No, though the updated helmet appeared in that colour in a Creator set a few years back. 

https://brickset.com/article/109490/nostalgia-what-s-up-with-that

The AFOL community (not to be confused with adult LEGO fans), is simultaneously commanding a lot of power over the LEGO nostalgia machine but also none at all. There is this lack of understanding that no, The LEGO Group will not bring back a new castle theme (without lasers), modern children wouldn't be interested, and the demand from AFOLs is so insignificant sales-wise that even if EVERYONE on Brickset agreed they would buy the full wave it wouldn't be enough money for it to be worth it (this is also why Bricklink sets are no indicator of market demand).

What do you think with the assertion that there will not be a new castle theme in the future ? Should we take it like a definitive statement ?

1 hour ago, Khargeust said:

What do you think with the assertion that there will not be a new castle theme in the future ? Should we take it like a definitive statement ?

No. I don´t think we will see anything like that in the near future, but you never know what will happen in ten years or so. The real question would be though, if it would look like a real castle theme or be something with more modern aproaches. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Khargeust said:

No. Everything he writes is purely his own opinions and since he is not working for Lego anymore he's just guessing like the rest of us.

Edited by SpacePolice89
missing letter added

1 hour ago, SpacePolice89 said:

No. Everything he writes is purely is own opinions and since he is not working for Lego anymore he's just guessing like the rest of us.

It is hard to tell what is actually based on knowledge he got from working there and what is actually just his opinion. However he is using a lot words to actually tell not much.

Looking at  Space City and Space Freinds sets, I am going to be honest with you. I don’t care if you think I’m crazy but I think I don’t mind that they will put actual castle into City subtheme instead of festival types like fairs renissance. This is a hypthesis. 

Why?

Space City takes its place in distant future, where there are futuristic spacecrafts and aliens. So probably City should go back into past where there are knights and dragons. Time traveling sounds pretty cool. Friends could have realistic sets like faire renissance and archery range jsut like they have Mars mission sets this year (take a look at Bed & Breakfast set). So I think it would be neat for knights and dragons show up in City subtheme (seriously don’t let City logo bother you, just you would still get castle sets…).

and currently, it seems there won’t be some avaaible slots for castle theme in 2025 since there are so many themes coming up (Descreable me 4, Wicked, Wednesday in 2024). I guess it would be cool for Lego to do crosscutting theme jsut like they does wiht Space this year. 

Personally I really like idea of time traveling.

Remember, this is my hypothesis, othing confirmed.  

On 5/5/2024 at 5:42 PM, Black Falcon said:

It is hard to tell what is actually based on knowledge he got from working there and what is actually just his opinion. However he is using a lot words to actually tell not much.

I find those articles are mainly clickbait opinion pieces trying to drive traffic to his YouTube channel. Luckily they can be turned off now, while still keeping access the designer insight articles. When they first started they were tagged as designer insight when there is little to no insight in them. 

11 hours ago, Lion King said:

Looking at  Space City and Space Freinds sets, I am going to be honest with you. I don’t care if you think I’m crazy but I think I don’t mind that they will put actual castle into City subtheme instead of festival types like fairs renissance. This is a hypthesis. 

Why?

Space City takes its place in distant future, where there are futuristic spacecrafts and aliens. So probably City should go back into past where there are knights and dragons. Time traveling sounds pretty cool. Friends could have realistic sets like faire renissance and archery range jsut like they have Mars mission sets this year (take a look at Bed & Breakfast set). So I think it would be neat for knights and dragons show up in City subtheme (seriously don’t let City logo bother you, just you would still get castle sets…).

and currently, it seems there won’t be some avaaible slots for castle theme in 2025 since there are so many themes coming up (Descreable me 4, Wicked, Wednesday in 2024). I guess it would be cool for Lego to do crosscutting theme jsut like they does wiht Space this year. 

"Ye Olde Lego City" is certainly a fun idea! Though I'm not quite sure how it would be received globally—currently, Lego City benefits slightly from the idea of being an archetypal urban city, taking inspiration from various global sources but not tied to any one real-world location. But the idea of a thriving city having once been a medieval castle town is a bit more relatable in Europe than it would be in the Americas (where the majority of our castles, to the extent they exist at all, tend to be built on post-medieval nostalgia).

Not entirely discounting the possibility, just musing that while the interstellar future can feel very similar no matter where on Earth you live, historical cities vary much more globally.

3 hours ago, Lyichir said:

"Ye Olde Lego City" is certainly a fun idea! Though I'm not quite sure how it would be received globally—currently, Lego City benefits slightly from the idea of being an archetypal urban city, taking inspiration from various global sources but not tied to any one real-world location. But the idea of a thriving city having once been a medieval castle town is a bit more relatable in Europe than it would be in the Americas (where the majority of our castles, to the extent they exist at all, tend to be built on post-medieval nostalgia).

Not entirely discounting the possibility, just musing that while the interstellar future can feel very similar no matter where on Earth you live, historical cities vary much more globally.

Considering the ‘Space subtheme’ they’ve done across multiple themes this year, I could absolutely see them doing something similar with Castle. The Ninjago ‘villain hideout of the year’ could double as a medieval castle (and honestly almost any Ninjago brick-built dragon would need very little tweaking to fit a Castle setting), we could get a souped-up trebuchet or siege tower or something in DREAMZzz, a forest ranger watchtower in Friends, a medieval museum in City? If they really wanted to put in effort, we could see something akin to the airlock system where there are ‘castle components’ across multiple themes that can all be combined into a cross-theme hodgepodge fortress. There are plenty of possibilities. But we all know LEGO loves their formulas, so we can’t be too optimistic about them doing something so interesting. 

. . damnit, why did I have to picture the cross-theme combination fortress, now I really want something like that . . 

4 hours ago, Lyichir said:

That’s true that Lego always did castle theems that set in Europe while they only did one theme that set in Japan in 1990s.  I would love to see something different like shogun’s castle (which I don’t think it would be likely while we hae Ninjago on shelves or Middle Eastern castle. I think there are very few castles in America tho.

1 hour ago, Fenghuang0296 said:

Considering the ‘Space subtheme’ they’ve done across multiple themes this year, I could absolutely see them doing something similar with Castle. The Ninjago ‘villain hideout of the year’ could double as a medieval castle (and honestly almost any Ninjago brick-built dragon would need very little tweaking to fit a Castle setting), we could get a souped-up trebuchet or siege tower or something in DREAMZzz, a forest ranger watchtower in Friends, a medieval museum in City? If they really wanted to put in effort, we could see something akin to the airlock system where there are ‘castle components’ across multiple themes that can all be combined into a cross-theme hodgepodge fortress. There are plenty of possibilities. But we all know LEGO loves their formulas, so we can’t be too optimistic about them doing something so interesting. 

. . damnit, why did I have to picture the cross-theme combination fortress, now I really want something like that . . 

That does sound nice to me. we have Mateo and Z-Blob Knght and Castle Nocturium sets from Dreamzzz coming up this year. And we have 3 new dragon molds this year - one from Harry. Potter, one rom Ninjago and one from Dungeon & Dragon. I do understand that I am in minority that I prefer molded dragons over buildable one but I would be okay with crossing-theme that introudce us a new buildable dragon.

With Freends theme having their Bed and Breakfast-Castle introduced this year, I would say that this is pretty much proof that they won´t be doing a castle cross-theme thing next year, since then that set would have been part of that (and also released next year) I belive.

Also it still seems unlikely to me that they would go back into the past with City, as that is pretty much a nowadays theme, though probably I would have said the same thing about the theme going in the future, so who knows. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

Also it still seems unlikely to me that they would go back into the past with City, as that is pretty much a nowadays theme, though probably I would have said the same thing about the theme going in the future, so who knows. 

I don’ think that makes sense if you would say same thing about going into future as it already happened. As I mentioned before, it seems there is no available slot for standalone “Space” theme so they decided to put it into City instead. It gives me sense of “being sent” into future with interstellar spacecraft, mech, and aliens. 

it’s unlikely, yes but it would be neat to see City subtheme going into past and explore “history’. If they do a time-traveling stuff, then they should do a rebooted Time Cruisier theme. DreamZzz is not exactly a time-traveling theme but still has some cool and useful accessories for Csstle, Pirates and Space. 

Edited by Lion King

7 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I don’ think that makes sense if you would say same thing about going into future as it already happened. As I mentioned before, it seems there is no available slot for standalone “Space” theme so they decided to put it into City instead. It gives me sense of “being sent” into future with interstellar spacecraft, mech, and aliens. 

I wrote, I probably would have said the same thing about the theme going into the future - which obviously meant before it actually happened ;). However since for me it is just the successor of the former space theme it does make sense anyways. But if it would go back in time, it wouldn´t have much to do with City anymore IMO.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Black Falcon said:

I wrote, I probably would have said the same thing about the theme going into the future - which obviously meant before it actually happened ;). However since for me it is just the successor of the former space theme it does make sense anyways. But if it would go back in time, it wouldn´t have much to do with City anymore IMO.

Honeslty, I don’t consider Spce City as a “successor” to a former space theme myself. I am sorry but I still don’t understand what is your point behind “going into past has nothing do with City” while there are futuristic spaceships in City.  But *shurgs* whatever you like to say

Edited by Lion King

1 hour ago, Lion King said:

Honeslty, I don’t consider Spce City as a “successor” to a former space theme myself. I am sorry but I still don’t understand what is your point behind “going into past has nothing do with City” while there are futuristic spaceships in City.  But *shurgs* whatever you like to say

Not successor of a former Space theme, but to former City space. Like the old city space sets were clearly playing in todays time. So I consider the 2024 Space sets as a future spacecraft developed from those old sets, likely with the help from those crystals they found in that no limits episode and are mining in distant solar systems now.

As for why I don´t think City fits with historical Sets or sets playing in the past at all, to me City is a modern theme, depicting nowadays life with Police, Fire department, Hospital, and just normal city life. This years space line works well with it IMO, because it is also modern theme, whicht historical sets are just not.

That beeing said, while I don´t think it fits the theme, and that Lego would do it, I wouldn´t mind if they actually would do. In the end, I don´t care which label they put on it, as long as it will be cool sets.

10 hours ago, Lyichir said:

This would actually be much easier if LEGO City Adventures were still going; Gracie Goodhart was stated to be from a different city (and she has a British accent and wears a British police uniform!), so Castle could be integrated by having at least parts of the season take place in Gracie’s city. 

23 minutes ago, Black Falcon said:

Not successor of a former Space theme, but to former City space. Like the old city space sets were clearly playing in todays time. So I consider the 2024 Space sets as a future spacecraft developed from those old sets, likely with the help from those crystals they found in that no limits episode and are mining in distant solar systems now.

Yep. I see the 2024 City Space sets as a successor to older City space and Town Space Port (sub)themes, and a predecessor to the 2000’s Space themes (Mars Mission, Galaxy Squad); the classic themes take place much farther into the future, IMO. 

Posted (edited)

I always view City Space sets as they are based in faraway galaxy in the distant future. However, thanks to Classic_Spaceman, he makes a good point that it’s precursor to Mars Mission , Galaxy Squad, etc. I think it makes sense now.

I stil love the idea of City in different time periods (distant future for Space, middle age for Castle, golden age of pirate for Pirates). I’m just saying that City Space sets give me a sense of “exploring the future” out of pure imgination. City’s upcoming Jungle subtheme is not great, not exaclty what we hoped for.  Vehicles are too modern while there is Johnny Thunder who was suppsoed to be in 1920s, not in 21st century.  If there is City going into Future, then it should go into Past. Of course, it’s my hypothesis / wishful thought. 

Edited by Lion King

I would like to see the revival of the classic factions :

1 a castle for the Black Falcons ( good there  are some good mocs for this faction on rebrickable and offourse the incredible looking Mountain Fortress from  BDP Bricklink)

2 a true Forrest Peoples hideout, a tree house with a bridge over a river and a secret cave or something, not just a another castle

3 a remake black castle for the the Black Knights .Yes we need a remake of this faction with long dragon shields and dragon plumes

4 its nice we got a remake of the Wolfpack but I miss the wolf shield 

Overall I think the Lion Knights castle from 2022 and the medieval market square from this year are just a one of thing.I don't think we are getting new castle sets the coming years

On 5/8/2024 at 10:14 PM, Lion King said:

Why?

Could we not have a castle ruin within City as a visitor attraction, no need for time travel, but archaeology to go with the museum?