Vilhelm22

10341 Artemis I Rocket & Launchpad Discussion

New announcement from @Brick Clicker on Instagram:

10341 Artemis I Rocket and Launchpad 

$259.99/€???/£???

3601 pieces

May 15th release.

Artemis I, launched last year, is the first spacecraft in the NASA Artemis program that aims to return astronauts to the moon.

Discuss below.

I wonder if someone at NASA is a Superman II fan? Artemis was the name of the ship the three escapees from the Phantom Zone destroyed on the moon. (and they killed the astronaut crew too...)

Anyway, I eagerly await the set. I hope it's in scale with the Saturn V!

44 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

I wonder if someone at NASA is a Superman II fan? Artemis was the name of the ship the three escapees from the Phantom Zone destroyed on the moon. (and they killed the astronaut crew too...)

Well, it's also the Greek goddess of, among other things, the moon. Of course they could also be Andy Weir fans, but I'm kinda bettin' on Greek mythology more than Superman II. :wink:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Murdoch17 said:

Anyway, I eagerly await the set. I hope it's in scale with the Saturn V!

The Artemis program plans to return manned missions to the moon, which will include the first woman to set foot there. Artemis is the Greek goddess of the moon and also the twin sister to Apollo. The name for NASA’s original moon mission program was Apollo. So there’s a lot of purposeful symbolism and deliberate symmetry going on with the name. 

Now, the last Apollo mission flew in 1972 and Superman II came out in 1980, so I imagine the Superman writers simply correctly predicted the obvious name choice for a new set of moon missions decades ahead of time, because they knew that the people at NASA are all massive nerds. 

Fun Fact: the actual capsule used in the Artemis missions is call the Orion capsule, named after a legendary hunter from Greek myth with strong connections to Artemis, who placed him in the sky as the eponymous constellation after his death (and we’ll be getting a minifig of him in the upcoming cmf). 

I do hope that May 15th release date holds true worldwide. My dad has a birthday only days later and he’s a big space geek who’d love this as a gift, but last year the Mars rover came out in June in other regions but was delayed in the US until August so we had to make it a Christmas gift instead of a Fathers Day gift. Fingers crossed that doesn’t happen again. 

Edited by Accio Lego

Unable to find pics online but only in a private Facebook group - saw a set image leak today and it looks terrific.  A month until release so official pics should appear soon.

2 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

Unable to find pics online but only in a private Facebook group - saw a set image leak today and it looks terrific.  A month until release so official pics should appear soon.

Someone apparently found it for sale in the Taipei airport and posted the photo on Reddit. I hope this link is ok to post:

https://old.reddit.com/r/lego/comments/1c66ecr/a_set_i_didnt_know_existed_but_now_i_very_much

The black background box art doesn't do this set any favours, and makes it look unbalanced with a huge SLS next to a pretty small rocket. It seems accurate to the real thing though, so in real life, the set probably looks pretty good. Do we know the size of it? It looks like about 70cm tall, which puts it at maybe 20% smaller than the scale of the Saturn V, which is a little disappointing. Although the increased piece count to make it larger likely wouldn't have been worth it.

Looking forward to seeing some lifestyle photos and reviews.

I was guessing about 70cm tall too, did a rough count of bricks on the rocket and base. I understand why it’s not the same scale as the Apollo as that would be a very big model and even harder to display. To me this looks great as it is. 

That's.... big!

Wait, are the solid rocket boosters 3 or 4 bricks wide?

God knows how tall it is (so far!) but hopefully it should be able to fit in an IKEA cabinet!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Shiva said:

That's.... big!

Wait, are the solid rocket boosters 3 or 4 bricks wide?

I think the bottom of the boosters are the barrel piece 64951. I think I can see the rings with grooves in them are Technic Pulley wheels. But not sure of their diameter.

Edited by Seasider

Posted (edited)

I see that 64951 too. I'm trying to remember, if I bought 2 or not, some years ago.

/edit: Yes, I bought 2x. Not sure if I installed them on the solid boosters too, or not. Space Shuttle solid boosters.

/edit2: the solid boosters, do like a lot of 73111's. Found in, for example Coruscant Guard Gunship 75354. Nose cones from that set too.

Edited by Shiva

18 hours ago, Shiva said:

I see that 64951 too. I'm trying to remember, if I bought 2 or not, some years ago.

/edit: Yes, I bought 2x. Not sure if I installed them on the solid boosters too, or not. Space Shuttle solid boosters.

/edit2: the solid boosters, do like a lot of 73111's. Found in, for example Coruscant Guard Gunship 75354. Nose cones from that set too.

I think you’re right with the booster parts from the Gunship.

23 minutes ago, Seasider said:

Back of the box is leaked .. 70cm tall (as I calculated/guessed) and on a 30cm base. Plus comes with some side builds too

The side builds are an information plaque like the ones the Discovery set has and an in-scale Orion capsule. I’ve seen some people calling the latter a ‘satellite’, presumably because it has solar panels, but it’s definitely the Orion crew capsule. There’s also a little base for the Orion capsule so it can float in space (as opposed to the Apollo capsule in the Saturn V set which was displayed in its splash down configuration). 

Who can successfully count the number of stickers?
OowovJF.png
It's so cheap to mix stickers (blue) and prints (red), when even the marketing images are showing them all crooked and with bad color match. And if you thought GRINGOT TS was dumb, here we get a nice N AS A logo:
lego-icons-10341-artemis-space-launch-sylego-10341-artemis-space-launch-system-slego-10341-artemis-space-launch-system-s
*images taken from Stonewars.de

1 minute ago, R0Sch said:

Who can successfully count the number of stickers?

It's so cheap to mix stickers (blue) and prints (red), when even the marketing images are showing them all crooked and with bad color match. And if you thought GRINGOT TS was dumb, here we get a nice N AS A logo:

*images taken from Stonewars.de

I'll take a split sticker over a STAMP any day of the week.

LEGO sets are relying too much on stickers. Eventhough the sets aimed at adults are very nice, the stickers hinder to let them feel as premium quality.

It's always a huge letdown for me, especially considering the prices of these sets. It even makes me feel losing my interest. I think they really need to step up their game.

I haven’t been on here for a while, but I wanted to pop back in cause I absolutely love this set. As someone with the Saturn V, it would definitely be cool at the same time it would be absolutely massive and cost a lot more for an end result that would be a lot harder to display and honestly probably wouldn’t gain much if anything in terms of looks and functions. And yeah stickers are definitely unfortunate like always but it’s still an amazing build and the stickers are only a small aspect of it, and at the end of the day it’s just added details that you don’t have to put on if you don’t want. Obviously prints would have been awesome and the set definitely deserves them but oh well. Still love it.