Dreamweb

[MOC] Kiss of Death, my new pirate ship!

It's been a long, long time indeed since I last posted a ship with skull and crossbones and a crew of bloodthirsty pirates. Somehow, in the recent years I tended to focus on various factions of soldiers. Well, no more of those boring uniforms! :pir_laugh2: Allow me to introduce you to the Kiss of Death! :cannon:

00.jpg

I also really wanted to use official LEGO sails, so here they are, and they come from the Brickbeard's Bounty set, well except this ship uses more of them!

01.jpg

Some more photos...

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

The ship's wheel actually turns the rudder in a historically-accurate fashion. I am planning to post a film showing how this works at a later time.

05.jpg

06.jpg

The gun deck. The ship has 12 cannons and I used almost the entire remainder of my cannon supply to arm her. I guess it's either time to buy some more or to go custom in the future! :pir-classic:

07.jpg

08.jpg

The captain's cabin, as usual.

09.jpg

Here you can see the rope moving the rudder. As mentioned earlier, a film will be provided soon to show this in action.

10.jpg

I have also uploaded the ship to Instagram, so feel free to check her out in there as well!

Also, let me say that I managed to finish the build just in time for a pretty large LEGO exhibition, in which I will participate in less than 2 weeks. :pir_laugh2:

Any comments are obviously welcome! Thanks!

Because I have never seen Nougat hull ship moc before, It makes me fresh. And about ther rudder, I saw something like that in the game: return of obra dinn yesterday! anyway it was one of interesting things in your moc ship. well done! 

She is quite a beauty! Especially love the broadsides and that figurehead. Good job! :pir-thumb:

20 hours ago, Third Navigator said:

Because I have never seen Nougat hull ship moc before

I think I saw one or two before, I like this colour, really glad LEGO adds more colours for the hulls! Thanks!

10 hours ago, berninhr said:

Lovely Build! The colour scheme works really well.

Thank you Sir! :pir-classic: The medium nougat was my first choice, and dark red was used to match the sails! :pirate:

9 hours ago, Jack Sassy said:

She is quite a beauty! Especially love the broadsides and that figurehead. Good job!

Thanks! The figurehead was initially a minifig, but the dragon works much better in my opinion, I'm glad I switched them. :pir-sweet:

This is pretty awesome!  
 I used a lot of medium nougat on a ship build long ago and loved how it looked. 
 I love the hullshaping you’ve done, and I don’t dislike the bowser-esqe colour scheme either. 
 Down the road I might try it paired with dark blue as a contrast colour. 

That said this a gorgeous ship! 
 Thank you for sharing it!

This is a beauty!! Nice Job, especially the rudder! I would love to see how you built the system to steer the rudder.

On 3/6/2024 at 9:00 AM, Max_Lego said:

One of the best pirate ship MOC's I've ever seen. Awesome!

Thanks! :pir-huzzah2:

17 hours ago, thewatchman said:

Down the road I might try it paired with dark blue as a contrast colour. 

That said this a gorgeous ship! 
 Thank you for sharing it!

I just really wanted to use those sails in a MOC finally, and since they're white and dark red, I chose dark red for some of the bricks. :pir-classic: Actually, it's a pity LEGO didn't produce hull pieces in dark blue, which would fit nicely with the dark blue rowboats which they did make. Who knows, maybe I'll try a dark blue custom hull in the future. :pir-tongue:

17 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

This is a beauty!! Nice Job, especially the rudder! I would love to see how you built the system to steer the rudder. 

Thanks! I will make a short film showing how it works, but basically, it's the same principle as in historical ships. Check out this image from Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship's_wheel#/media/File:Wheel_and_rudder_assembly_(fixed).gif

Gorgeous ship. Lots of great details and excellent use of sails. The nougat hull color matches well with the dark red. That bowsprit is fearsome. It does appear quite a bit of the crew has suffered some form of eye injury, to include the lookout in the crow's nest. Might be a good time to implement a safety policy with the cutlasses.

On 3/7/2024 at 3:32 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Might be a good time to implement a safety policy with the cutlasses

Absolutely! :pir_laugh2: The truth is, I save most of my heads without eyepatches for soldier minifigs. :pir-classic:

On 3/6/2024 at 3:30 PM, 1963maniac said:

I would love to see how you built the system to steer the rudder.

Well, for anyone who is interested, I have just uploaded a short video to Instagram, showing how various sections of the ship are removable for easier access, AND how the ship's wheel turns the rudder, so check it out! :pir-huzzah2:

15 hours ago, Dreamweb said:

Absolutely! :pir_laugh2: The truth is, I save most of my heads without eyepatches for soldier minifigs. :pir-classic:

Well, for anyone who is interested, I have just uploaded a short video to Instagram, showing how various sections of the ship are removable for easier access, AND how the ship's wheel turns the rudder, so check it out! :pir-huzzah2:

Link doesn't work.

7 hours ago, 1963maniac said:

Link doesn't work.

That's weird, it works on both my phone and my PC. Even when I'm not logged in to Instagram, the video plays just fine...

Interesting color choice with the Mario boat pieces. It goes nicely with the black and touches of dark red.
I could almost see your ship as a galleon-type of vessel. It only lacks the ports below the cannon deck for a line of rowing oars.

On 3/12/2024 at 11:39 AM, GeoBrick said:

Interesting color choice with the Mario boat pieces. It goes nicely with the black and touches of dark red.

Thanks! Actually, the hull is a combination of pieces from the Mario set and the Friends boat.

Anyway, my new ship has already completed her maiden voyage to her first LEGO exhibition. :pir-classic: And what an adventure this was! :pirate:

exhibition1.jpg

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2024 at 6:15 PM, Captain Braunsfeld said:

tag-frontpaged-2019.png

Congratulations:pir-huzzah2:

Thanks a lot!

On 3/20/2024 at 3:44 PM, bingowaldorf said:

I love the color scheme! 

On 3/20/2024 at 8:38 PM, MAP Tec said:

And again a beautiful ship!!! 

On 3/22/2024 at 3:05 AM, MWERA24 said:

Thank you for sharing, what a nice build! 

Thank you mateys! I hope LEGO will release those hulls in more colours to allow for additional colour combinations! :pir-classic:

Anyway, I'm preparing for another exhibition, in two weeks! :pir-huzzah2:

Edited by Dreamweb