Sign in to follow this  
TheBrickPal

Wicked 2024 - Rumors & Discussion

I feel silly now. „LoOkS LiKe 2024 MiGhT bE ThE fIrSt YeAr SiNcE 2009 To NoT hAvE sEtS bAsEd On A nEw MoViE“, I said.

A now we have Despicable Me 4, Inside Out 2, mayyyyybe Moana 2, and Wicked *huh*

Looking forward to the theme! Definitely interesting to see sets based on a musical. First time, unless you count TLM2 and the opening of TLBM :laugh_hard:

Speaking of TLBM, I wonder if Lego will be able to reuse the flying monkey head mold from back then. 

As Zelena (from. Once Upon a time) says “Wicked always win,” I’m quite surprised that we will have theme based off Broadway show but I’m quite excited!

Very excited for this! Been looking forward to this movie for a basically my whole life and I'm overjoyed that we're getting it in LEGO as well! I would assume the two largest sets are the Emerald City and Shiz, and the smaller sets could be Munchkinland with Glinda in her bubble or the Ozdust Ballroom scene. Since it's split into two movies we'll probably get another wave next year as well. So much potential, I'm thrilled!

@TheBrickPal

"something Wicked this way comes..." would have been a good opener for this topic. Just saying you missed out on this opportunity!

anyway:

If it's got the train in it from the trailer, I won't complain. I might even buy it.

Crossing my fingers it will be miniFIGURES not dollas.

Love me some wicked.

22 minutes ago, deskp said:

Crossing my fingers it will be miniFIGURES not dollas.

Love me some wicked.

While the sets will be based off the movie, there’s a pretty solid preexisting adult fanbase thanks to the stage play. There isn’t exactly a long list of character based Lego themes with an adult female target audience out there, but the Friends sitcom and BTS sets theoretically fall in that category and they’re all minifigure based. There’s also got to be at least one set featuring Elphaba flying on her broom, and while the Harry Potter theme has been doing that with minifigs for decades, I don’t think minidolls could pull it off with their fused legs. 

Is there any system to the set numbering that could tell is if its part of minidoll releases or not?

Disney princess has a large adult fanbase and that has mostly been a minidoll theme to begin with.

Hoping they are minifigures

Only thing I am somewhat confident on is that the $90 set will be Oz, then maybe another set based on the school :shrug_oh_well:

Shocked at this but happy. Still wish we had gotten a Glinda minifigure from the original 1930s movie but I'll take what I can get.

I'm not sure if the $90 would be Emerald City or Shiz. Given that it's only part 1 this year, we could expect more in 2025 and Shiz wouldn't be in the second film so best to make use of it now while its the main setting.

1 hour ago, deskp said:

Disney princess has a large adult fanbase and that has mostly been a minidoll theme to begin with.

Yeah, but the target base for Disney Princesses is still little girls. In contrast, the Wicked stage play has always been more geared towards an older audience, and it looks like the movie will be as well. 

I cant see these being minidolls honestly

99.99% sure they are minifigures

Edited by Robert8

12 hours ago, stroud1492 said:

Anybody have the upcs for any of these? Or know where to find?

They haven't been revealed yet. There is no way we would have that info yet.

I would assume minigogures, not least as that’s what other Oz sets & figures have been. I wonder if these are all play sets - or if any are buildable display sets, or even art sets?

48 minutes ago, williejm said:

I would assume minigogures, not least as that’s what other Oz sets & figures have been. I wonder if these are all play sets - or if any are buildable display sets, or even art sets?

I can't see them being art sets at all.  I highly doubt they are display sets either.  Since there are 2 parts and we are getting 4 sets this year I'm pretty sure these will be play-sets.  And probably more sets next year for the second part.  

14 hours ago, Lion King said:

How do we know if it’s minifigure-focused theme, not minidolls?

Simple, it’s the set numbers. Minidoll themes (Friends, Didney, Elves, DC Superhero Girls) are all in the 4XXXX range :classic:

9 hours ago, williejm said:

[…] or even art sets?

Art is a separate theme with separate set numbers. Being in the 7XXXX range, they pretty much have to be playsets :laugh:

On 2/12/2024 at 11:43 PM, deskp said:

Is there any system to the set numbering that could tell is if its part of minidoll releases or not?

7 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Simple, it’s the set numbers. Minidoll themes (Friends, Didney, Elves, DC Superhero Girls) are all in the 4XXXX range :classic:

Art is a separate theme with separate set numbers. Being in the 7XXXX range, they pretty much have to be playsets :laugh:

Yay, thanks.  Some factual sanity! :sweet:

Some Instagram leakers are saying it's minidolls (for Wednesday too).

Honestly, I'm okay if this turns out to be the case. I think Lego has managed to dial in on a good design style in the last couple of years for the minidoll printing and hair pieces and I've grown to appreciate them now.

6 minutes ago, strangely said:

Some Instagram leakers are saying it's minidolls (for Wednesday too).

I think Lego would really be shooting themselves in the foot if that's the case. Wednesday especially is more for a teenage audience, and I think minifigs would be a much better fit over minidolls, which skew for a younger audience. I do agree with you that minidolls have been looking better, but they're no substitute for good-old minifigs!

Anyways, there's lots of details for more licensed stuff, courtosy of maxbaut (who is reputable):

• Lego Wicked (Bright)
    • 75681 - 304 pieces - 29.99 Euros
    • 75682 - 558 pieces - 49.99 Euros
    • 75683 - 59.99 Euros (no part count)
    • 75684 - 945 pieces - 89.99 Euros
  • Lego Wednesday (Buffalo)
    • 40750 - Wednesday Brickheadz - 239 Pieces - 9.99 Euros
    • 76780 - 702 pieces - 49.99 Euros
    • 76781 - 750 pieces - 79.99 Euros
  • Lego Fortnite (Juno)
    • 40728 GWP - 151 pieces
    • 77070 - 193 Pieces - 29.99 Euros
    • 77071 (Loot Llama?) - 691 Pieces - 39.99 Euros
    • 77072 (Peely Bone?) - 59.99 Euros
    • 77073 - 954 Pieces - 79.99 Euros
    • 77074 (Art Set?) - 119.99 Euros

Honestly, I think Art set would be lovely for Wicked. I mean Wicked poster…  and a diorama set with all Oz characters at yellow brick road toward Emerald City. Of course, they are more for adults while these unknown sets are aiming for young audience. 

So we will see what future holds.  

Just my thoughts.

16 hours ago, BrickBob Studpants said:

Sir, what did you just say? :P 

Not surprised they're minidolls instead of minifigs. It doesn't bother me because I wasn't much interested in these sets anyway. Still waiting for Lego to give us sets on the classic Oz movie instead.