Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

Meh... I really hoped to get a dwarf with a new beard, an octagonal shield and a cool new armour in a random cmf... and now this.

Even with a switchable face a dwarf without moulded beard is just dissapointing. And how can a barbarian have a neutral torso? I could not care less for a new axe mould. the existing one is pretty much the best looking lego weapon in my opinion...

The rest ... well... I hope there are at least some usefull parts for more down to earth lotr-like fantasy.

3 minutes ago, kill will said:

That might be the most exciting news yet! I am primarily interested in cool new torso prints but was a bit concerned about them being fleshie and every other color of non human. This sounds like it has a ton of potential for some really cool figs, excited to see how they turn out! 

It really is a good win-win for everyone if this is accurate. People wanting to make their own D&D characters can much more easily mix and match parts to make what they want. People not into D&D at all can just get some new medieval/fantasy parts that fit seamlessly with existing minifigs. I'm sure there would have been a temptation to have some ripped clothes/midriffs/short sleeves, but this would actually allow for more diversity with the minifigs in the long-term. 

The CMF series sounds interesting but the choices seem like a weird mix. 7 player classes, 4 named characters, and then a monster NPC. Feels like it should have either been the 12 core rulebook classes and included a Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, and Monk instead or have gone with fully named characters and included the like Vecna, Mordenkainen, and Drizzt.

Edited by Subnautica

6 minutes ago, Subnautica said:

Feels like it should have either been the 12 core rulebook classes and included a Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, and Monk

Are any of those in the big 21348 set, though? If so, they may have wanted to spread them out a little bit.

Also (and forgive me for my ignorance), is there a major enough visual difference between, for example, a Barbarian and a Fighter, or a Wizard and a Sorcerer, to have it make sense to make them take up that many slots in the CMF? As an outsider, it sounds like they would look pretty similar.  

30 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

Meh... I really hoped to get a dwarf with a new beard, an octagonal shield and a cool new armour in a random cmf... and now this.

You could always try and brick-build an octagonal shield and use the 1x1 Bar Handle piece as a shield handle.  Might be a bit bulky, but it could also fit the aesthetic for a Dwarf.

ohhh I definitely will want a few of these. Never played the game but the customizable options seem awesome

Cant believe this will be a thing

Why is TLG releasing Fornite and D&D sets in 2024 is beyond me

12 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Why not.  And all the better for us.  I'm getting all of these.  This year is insane so far.  Can't wait to get extras and customize figs the possibilities will be great.  

54 minutes ago, Subnautica said:

The CMF series sounds interesting but the choices seem like a weird mix. 7 player classes, 4 named characters, and then a monster NPC. Feels like it should have either been the 12 core rulebook classes and included a Fighter, Wizard, Rogue, Cleric, and Monk instead or have gone with fully named characters and included the like Vecna, Mordenkainen, and Drizzt.

I'm thinking they will do more if they didn't do Drizzt.  But that's me just hoping really.  

54 minutes ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Are any of those in the big 21348 set, though? If so, they may have wanted to spread them out a little bit.

Also (and forgive me for my ignorance), is there a major enough visual difference between, for example, a Barbarian and a Fighter, or a Wizard and a Sorcerer, to have it make sense to make them take up that many slots in the CMF? As an outsider, it sounds like they would look pretty similar.  

I'm pretty sure there's a wizard, sorcerer and cleric based on the leaked image (there is a plate figure with a vial of something)

I….don’t get it why they do CMF Series FOR THIS IDEAS SETS? Competely unpreditable….  No nimal Crossing or Fornite Series??

3 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I….don’t get it why they do CMF Series FOR THIS IDEAS SETS? Competely unpreditable….  No nimal Crossing or Fornite Series??

Way better than Animal crossing man.  I will take it.  We are getting 5 fortnite sets though.  

Plus no skin tones on the torso's is excellent and very useful.  

16 minutes ago, Lion King said:

They obviously want to use this license and looks like they are putting it to good use.  

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

Do you mean it's way too late and past prime?  Or just that you can't believe it's happening?

34 minutes ago, Lion King said:

I'm sure Fortnite could have CMF's down the line, there's so many characters in the game already.  Not sure about Animal Crossing, since a lot of the figs are already part of sets like the Sonic series.

Also, D&D is great!  It's about darn time!  We'll be getting tons of Fantasy and Castle-related minifig parts finally.  Not just new prints, but actual head molds, armor molds and weapons!

Edited by Triceron

Why not? No theme will ever please everyone but with Dungeons and Dragons you can please Fans of this franchise, Fantasy in general and Castle in one go. And surely there will be some parts that are also usefull for other themes.

34 minutes ago, Lion King said:

They are not doing it for the ideas set but for the same reason they did the ideas Set. With Dungeon and Dragons celebrating it´s 50th anniversary it is the best time to do it now, while you can do other themes next year as good as this. Also I can´t say much how many characters are missing from Animal crossing but there are many already in the sets, so no idea what we would need a CMF for - and honestly those figures don´t really have that detailed prints so a CMF kinda seems like a waste on it to me, but that is just a personal opinion. As for Fortnite, they might do that one day but I am not really more interested on that one than I am for Animal Crossing.

36 minutes ago, Triceron said:

Do you mean it's way too late and past prime?  Or just that you can't believe it's happening?

Both

The D&D movie bombed last year

1 minute ago, Robert8 said:

Both

The D&D movie bombed last year

Yeah but we've known the set is coming for a while now.  This is just icing on the cake.  My kids liked the movie they said it wasn't great but they enjoyed it.  I mean people have been waiting for this for years.  The CMF is going to fly off the shelves.  

LEGO Fortnite is still being updated, and as a seperate game mode (completely different from anything with guns), not just a simple event map or something, so physical LEGO sets make a lot of sense.

There are even easter eggs of LEGO sets inside that LEGO Fortnite mode, like they put wreckage of the Dreamzzz Shark Ship as random object on a beach.

In that ces I’m glad hat D&D fans are overjoyed with both CMF and Ideas set. It’ just unexpected to see CMF series to accompany the Ideas set. It’s just competely rare. Simpsons CMF for Simpson theme, Harry Potter CMF for Wizarding World theme, Marvel CMF for Marvel theme, DC CMF foDC theme, Disney CMF for Disney theme. 

Yet, Looney Tunes and Muppets don’t have thier own themes. 

I don’t know anything about DnD so I will skip both CMF and Ideas, saving my money Howeever, i will be interested in certain accessories or minifigure parts such as hat or hair. 

Why is TLG releasing Fornite sets in 2024 is beyond me

You missed the 1000+ LEGO versions of skins they put in the game? (only playable in their specific mode as LEGO minifigs, but still, the fact they even show the store page as LEGO minifigs when you have the mode selected says a lot,  to sell skins for their LEGO minifig forms as well, outside of the Shooting, and recently added Racing and "Guitar Hero" modes)

That said, licenses still play a role, and things like Peter Griffin or Solid Snake (current season) don't get a minifig skin,

And then there's the fact that many skins use parts that would probably be never made in toy sets, as they need new complex moulds, or very complex printing.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 minutes ago, Lion King said:

In that ces I’m glad hat D&D fans are overjoyed with both CMF and Ideas set. It’ just unexpected to see CMF series to accompany the Ideas set. It’s just competely rare. Simpsons CMF for Simpson theme, Harry Potter CMF for Wizarding World theme, Marvel CMF for Marvel theme, DC CMF foDC theme, Disney CMF for Disney theme. 

Yet, Looney Tunes and Muppets don’t have thier own themes. 

I don’t know anything about DnD so I will skip both CMF and Ideas, saving my money Howeever, i will be interested in certain accessories or minifigure parts such as hat or hair. 

But they got the license and then put out the contest.  So they obviously wanted the license and to do something with it.  The contest for the set showed a lot of interest and they apparently already had an idea of making more because we have the CMF now.  Who knows there may be more stuff coming.  

Incredible news! I’m sure there will be a ton of good stuff for us castle fans. I suppose these will be fleshies which will be an interesting challenge. Still, pretty great to hear this. 

3 hours ago, JohnTPT17 said:

Oh, looks like the conversation about these is happening here! Anyways, I typed up the list and added a few links, in case anyone is like me and has no idea about these characters:

1. Female dwarf barbarian with axe, and torch (bearded alt face). Possible new mold for axe.
  2. Githyanki warlock with eye staff, and possible new molds for knife and hair.
  3. Tiefling sorcerer with red baby Dragon and new molds for hair/horns and trans-pink claws (?)
  4. Dragonborn Paladin with shields and mace. Vidiyo dragon head. Possible new mold for armor and mace head.
  5. Halfling druid with fancy cape, bird and staff. New mold for antlered hood.
  6. Aarakocra ranger with bow and small dog. Faun legs, possible new mold for head and wings. 
  7. Mindflayer with intellect devourer (new molds for head and devourer)
  8. Strahd Von Zarovich with sword, goblet, rat, and cape.
  9. Halfling bardHalf-elf bard with printed lute and sword. Possible new mold for hair and scarf.
  10. The Lady of Pain with a printed cube and fancy cape. New mold for headpiece.
  11. Szass Tam with trans-red skull, energy blast, and dark red collared cape
  12. Tasha the Witch Queen with book and cauldron. Uses Hocus Pocus witch hat and hair piece.

I think this sounds promising, and I'm sure it will get a lot of people into army-building with a lot of these characters. I'm interested to see what these will look like, though, since I know that these characters don't have one look. 

Thanks for the hyperlinks, that was super helpful!

Also, glad to hear the good news that the bodies won't include flesh-tone printing, allowing them to support a wider range of customization.

24 minutes ago, zoth33 said:

But they got the license and then put out the contest.  So they obviously wanted the license and to do something with it.  The contest for the set showed a lot of interest and they apparently already had an idea of making more because we have the CMF now.  Who knows there may be more stuff coming.  

What contest?

Just now, Lion King said:

What contest?

The new D&D set coming out was part of a fan design submission for 50th anniversary D&D celebration; the big castle with the dragon and other D&D creatures and characters.

9 minutes ago, Triceron said:

The new D&D set coming out was part of a fan design submission for 50th anniversary D&D celebration; the big castle with the dragon and other D&D creatures and characters.

Ah ok, gotcha. My brain is scrambled after a long and stresseful Valentine’s Day but thanks for explaning tho!

Still , it’s odd to see CMF for only Ideas set.  I get it that it’s 50th annivesary tho

42 minutes ago, Lion King said:

What contest?

Interestingly they also had a contest for an artist to design the cover of the instruction manual!  I'm not sure that's happened before in Ideas, but clearly D&D and Lego were excited to work together!