Black Falcon

21348 Lego Ideas Dungeons & Dragons and D&D CMF

3 hours ago, Arjo said:

Also, I am not clear on the inn keeper/dark wizard minifig: are there two pairs of legs and two torsos (I doubt it) or is it just a second head + hood and cape to turn him into his true self? For the price would be nice to have the extra minifig.

The dark wizard has two heads, one for each gender.  The front is the 'normal' side and the back of each head has the 'evil' decorations.  It does have the hood and cape, but no extra body parts.

Too bad! It seems D&D has quite a fandom (outside lego) so I guess the set will sell despite its price tag. Was hoping slow sales might lead to discount in Sept when the cmf releases.

Posted (edited)
On 4/10/2024 at 5:00 AM, Arjo said:

Too bad! It seems D&D has quite a fandom (outside lego) so I guess the set will sell despite its price tag. Was hoping slow sales might lead to discount in Sept when the cmf releases.

I don't understand this perspective. I think that this set will be the best selling ideas set released this year!

Edited by Follows Closely

I think it’s an expensive set, but a good one. Selfishly I thought that TLG might offer a discount if it didn’t sell (not holding my breath). Nothing more to my initial comment.

44 minutes ago, ukbajadave said:

Are there any parts of the dragon that might be hard to bricklink? 

Obviously the printed eyes and wings are exclusive to this set and might be tricky.  I think there's a few parts of the new reddish orange which might not be common yet, and a few recolors of existing parts to dark red and orange.  No new moulds according to New Elementary. 

To the D&D connoisseurs out there: what content is good for a total beginner who would like to tip his toes (with his kids)? There is so much for sale online it is not obvious where to start and reading the customer reviews is like trying to get a grasp of a totally foreign language. I am thinking about familiarising myself with it all before deciding whether the lego set is worth the price of admission. Thanks.

These 3D models of LEGO dice offered as digital play dice on dndbeyond are pretty interesting. Too bad there are no double digit 1x1 round tile prints.

Anyone tempted to recreate and 3D print them?

lego-dndbeyond-d20.png

lego-dndbeyond-d12.png

lego-dndbeyond-d10.png

lego-dndbeyond-d8.png

lego-dndbeyond-d6.png

lego-dndbeyond-d4.png

Get a whole stack of round tiles and write your own double digit numbers on them with permanent pen!

16 hours ago, Arjo said:

To the D&D connoisseurs out there: what content is good for a total beginner who would like to tip his toes (with his kids)? There is so much for sale online it is not obvious where to start and reading the customer reviews is like trying to get a grasp of a totally foreign language. I am thinking about familiarising myself with it all before deciding whether the lego set is worth the price of admission. Thanks.

Heyho, I was a Beginner myself only a year ago and had much fun with the starter boxes you cand find like this one:

https://www.amazon.de/Dungeons-Dragons-Starterset-Sturmwrack-Insel-Deutsche/dp/B09V84WNPK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=31SW51FVWFRA4&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.SjOpVJGeMDAA59w4_4OQNGbnIFbb3uHy9G27K1OJcCWbXW3BrkSdSY9F6O461_j-OQquHaP0knZ-0PiQyUligrC_vrigBZVlxDXKUm56E5GH_lbyud942X7-sqCb4Bm3WHV1yebinEn2-0DeHjvtAMTA_Yg5iOPetoYjVMxjLL3rm2GSPNcIHrR9PH4k0uKTjQLOVuybuD9kGQuhR3kHCdIUeZxYCLjgn06RMgBOy0LJhx1w27uS6rWtbiToqaeuNWiRLohfUyHaS_qmznValgeSbbvs2UUkkhxR9cylozU.2521fQT5Cb9w7ilSyPZkZrjM-_RuZ4HAXmojo3ocQsI&dib_tag=se&keywords=dnd%2Babenteuer&qid=1712913231&sprefix=dnd%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-4&th=1

or this one:

https://www.amazon.de/Dungeons-Dragons-Essentials-Kit-Boxed/dp/0786966831/ref=pd_bxgy_d_sccl_1/261-3497958-3141743?pd_rd_w=Fhd0n&content-id=amzn1.sym.d6531279-1f86-4ae1-b1f7-8ab9db04b1a0&pf_rd_p=d6531279-1f86-4ae1-b1f7-8ab9db04b1a0&pf_rd_r=2XAPFSJ0WQE40B8KCP5B&pd_rd_wg=ebSnb&pd_rd_r=9b327962-df60-41ad-9f65-40415e69782a&pd_rd_i=0786966831&psc=1

10 hours ago, R0Sch said:

These 3D models of LEGO dice offered as digital play dice on dndbeyond are pretty interesting. Too bad there are no double digit 1x1 round tile prints.

Anyone tempted to recreate and 3D print them?

How are those dice going to work for numbers above 9?

1 hour ago, MAB said:

How are those dice going to work for numbers above 9?

By having double digit numbers on the tiles, like this:

lego-dndbeyond-d100.png

The mockup of the CMFs might have been taken down (or social media has moved on already) as I can’t find it anymore. Can anyone remind me its source (not how to find it but how “accurate” these might actually prove to be)? For example there was a very nice looking mandolin, is that likely to go in production or the visuals were more wishful thinking than anything? The answer is probably buried somewhere in the thread, if I remember correctly the initial leak was a word description of the characters and someone translated those into visuals? Thanks

:wacko: The leak was a preliminary render! Just like with the space series that just released. The image was a mock-up of the sheet, (ie not yet the final version to go to print) not a mock-up of the minifigs. They're all but locked in, 99%+, I'd expect.

And it's still out there. :wink:

Nice! For once it feels like you can actually buy “blind” and be happy with what you get! Might be first time I actually buy a box!

On 4/12/2024 at 12:18 PM, R0Sch said:

By having double digit numbers on the tiles, like this:

lego-dndbeyond-d100.png

They will be tiny numbers if you can print two of them on a single 1x1 round tile.

1 hour ago, MAB said:

They will be tiny numbers if you can print two of them on a single 1x1 round tile.

Have you seen the fonts used on most high side polyhedra dice?  1x1 round tile space is luxurious.

Just starting out venturing into the D&D universe so could someone list the race and class of the cmfs in the render. Some are obvious even to a novice like me (e.g. dragonborn in the top right corner) but is the figure bottom right supposed to be a “red wizzard” for ex. Or most of the minifigs are meant to be more generic? Thanks for the insight, it will me acquire appropriate knowledge ahead of Sept to enjoy it even more!

On 3/19/2024 at 12:08 AM, Agent Kallus said:

1- Dwarf barbarian

2- Githyanki Warlock ( githyanki are vaguely frog like extra dimensional warriors)

3- Tiefling Sorcerer ( Tiefling's are descended from devils, though that doesn't mean they are evil)

4- dragon Paladin (Of Bahamut god of good dragons)

5- Halfing Druid ( Halflings is just a less copywrited way of saying Hobbits)

6- Aarakocra ranger ( Aarakocra are a D&D bird people race)

7- Mind Flayer ( Mind flayers are tentacle faced monsters that want to turn other people into mind flayers and dominate all dimensions, they feed on minds and the big brain on legs is an intellect devourer and they do exactly what the name suggests)

8- Strahd ( he's a vampire)

9- Half-Elf Bard ( one elven parent, the other human, bards in D&D are performers that's are sort of a jack of all trades, with a little bit of magic but also melee skills

10 - the Lady of Pain ( she's the guardian of dimensions or something and not as evil as the name might imply though she's not a character I know much more about personally)

11 - Szazz Tam ( an evil undead Lich and leader of the nation of Thay, he was an antagonist in the D&D movie ( Honour among thieves))

12- Tasha the Witch Queen ( a human witch who has made many powerful spells and has ascended to power beyond humanity)

1-6 and 9 are all player characters ( basically when playing you pick a class ( paladin, bard, sorcerer etc) and a race ( Dwarf, Half-Elf, Aarakocra, Githzerai etc) so what they've done is pick a few combinations to make with parts that are designed to easily swapped to customise characters ( so no skin printed on the torsoes etc). 

7 is a generic enemy and 8,10,11 and 12 are named characters mostly enemies.

Hope this helps.

There ya go, @Arjo!

Many thanks! So that dude is indeed a red wizard, I thought I recognised him after watching the movie. I think I will have to watch it again once I am better versed in the lore as most details were totally lost on me (I thought the movie was mostly made up vs. actually and correctly referencing existing d&d material). Now let’s just hope the cmf rumour is true and the figs will be as good as they look in the render!

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, sporadic said:

Have you seen the fonts used on most high side polyhedra dice?  1x1 round tile space is luxurious.

Yes. My D20 are fairly normal sized but the numbers are a reasonable size as they can use the whole facet. Whereas using a1x1 round tile means wasting space as the curve must fit on the facet, then the number fit on the circle. And if they end up like LEGO buildable dice, they need space for the rubber edges. 

Sometimes a non-LEGO (or LEGO-like) solution is better, especially if you want a comfortable playing option.

Edited by MAB

8 hours ago, MAB said:

Yes. My D20 are fairly normal sized but the numbers are a reasonable size as they can use the whole facet. Whereas using a1x1 round tile means wasting space as the curve must fit on the facet, then the number fit on the circle. And if they end up like LEGO buildable dice, they need space for the rubber edges. 

Sometimes a non-LEGO (or LEGO-like) solution is better, especially if you want a comfortable playing option.

Oh, I'm not claiming building physical versions of these is a good idea.  My comment was just that there's plenty of space on a 1x1 round tile for two numbers.  Looking at my dice collection, the only 10-, 12-, 20- dice (the dice that might potentially need 2 digits) I have where the numbers wouldn't fit are the 10's, and that's only because that facet is large enough to accommodate a larger font.  But those only use 0, so it's still a single digit, so still not a problem.  10-siders with 00, 10, 20, etc, have fonts that would fit the 1x1.  Now, there are many, many dice fonts, etc out there, so I'm not saying that's conclusive.  But it does say that the numbers would not be unusually small on a 1x1 tile.

No, I think the real problem with physical representations, as you say, is that they need to be scaled up so that they can fit those 1x1 tiles on every facet.  This would make for some huge dice.  And the rubber edges, which you need to keep the tiles from getting knocked off while rolling, just makes the problem that much worse.  It would be a cool novelty item, but not really practical.

Beyond the factor of whether such dice would be practical for players, it'd also probably be pretty expensive. Back when the Lego Games theme launched I remember hearing that the die piece (with studs facing six directions and a core overmolded with rubbery plastic) was one of the most expensive Lego elements to design and engineer at the time. An even more complex dice piece, with studs oriented in even more directions, would probably cost even more...

The dwarf cleric in the set doesn’t have mid-legs, does he? In the render for the cmf, only one seems to have midlegs (the one with antlers). I wonder why that is vs. Rivendell for ex.